Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,953   Posts: 193,096   Members: 6,829   Active Members: 288
Welcome to our newest member, JuniorCyclist.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bag not repaired.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bag not repaired.

Well, here we go. After all the conversation lately of a non transparent sell. A company who has sold out and has moved away from EVERYTHING a lot of us have loved about this company for many years. So many folks talking about leaving the company because of the way they have kept their customers in the dark, which is their prerogative. But it definitely hasn’t serve them well.

The biggest argument on these forums are “I’m going to stick with them until they prove me wrong”. In another example of all the “negative” (realistic) comments, looks like their quality has taken a dive. Over the 15+ years I have been purchasing TB products, I have never experienced this. Coincidence of the timing? I think not. I think it is a product of all this change.

I sent in my PU for a qualifying and approved warranty repair and the problem wasn’t even touched. After sending my bag in and being without it for 3 weeks, I received it back today in the exact condition that I sent it. No repair was made. Fail of workmanship, quality control and oversight by a company that I never would have dreamed I would be sharing this experience of.

So disappointed with this it just adds to my frustration and discouragement of this change. It really has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

It doesn’t look like much but this a a sharp stiff piece of plastic that scratches the heck out of my hand every time I put it in the pocket.

Customer service, I would love to know what my options are. Already have been without it for 3 weeks to have it not be repaired.

Did you reach out directly to customer service after receiving the bag back? I’d think that this would be your first step.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Comment

I sure did. But due to the weekend, I am not expecting to hear back until Monday.

But I felt that it was fair to share this experience instead of pretending it was the stellar experience I have known and received for so long. It seems to me many things have changed and I am hoping that they get it under control before it affects this great brand
      in a way that can’t be corrected.

Comment

That’s a bummer.

I’ve only had to have a bag repaired once.

My Side Kick (ironically the V2 with Gatekeeper-attached shoulder strap) had the main coil zipper start unraveling.

They sent me a prepaid label to mail it back, took the time to repair it, and when they shipped it back (no charge, again) it looked as good as new, and I couldn’t even tell you it had been repaired it was so seamlessly done.

Hard to believe they would have you go through all the trouble of taking it back in, making you wait, and mailing it back to you untouched - I understand we all make mistakes, but I would be curious to read whatever answer they provide to the email you sent them this weekend.
        I own a LOT of Tom Bihn bags, but here are the ones I'm using right now:
        Everyday Carry: Cambiata
        Hiking Daypack: ADX31

Car and Plane Travel: CP, TS, and SZTSB

Comment

[QUOTEHard to believe they would have you go through all the trouble of taking it back in, making you wait, and mailing it back to you untouched - I understand we all make mistakes, but I would be curious to read whatever answer they provide to the email you sent them this weekend.[/QUOTE]

I too was not expecting what I found in the box. Kat was pleasant as always setting everything up and then this outcome. Very dissatisfied to say the least. No reason why the repair that was suppose to happen wasn’t checked before shipping out. Is this an example of corners being cut?

Comment

It could be (and likely is) an honest mistake. These kinds of one offs likely happened before too, but given the lack of skepticism, we just never heard about it. I think there still needs to be more data points.

Comment

Please let us know what the response is, when you get it.
              “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
              “Sir?”
              “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
              “Sir?”
              “That’s practically zen.”
              -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

Please let us know what the response is, when you get it.

Mike and the team are all about fixing the situation and making it right.

Comment

Originally posted by MTeric22 View Post
                  Customer service, I would love to know what my options are. .
                  If you don't mind me asking, are you in USA? Did TB supply you with a return paid label to ship the broken bag (under warranty) back to the factory?

Has anyone outside the USA been asked to cover the cost of sending a broken bag back to the factory? Or have you been reimbursed for this cost?

I have a bag repair (under warranty) to send from Australia and have only been asked to fill out a form with no mention of shipping being covered to USA.
                  Last edited by bijoux; 10-24-2022, 09:04 PM.

Comment

I had a bag repair once (that was before I became a volunteer mod). The urethane coating of the Aquaguard zipper on one of my Synapses crumbled a few weeks after I had purchased it. The initial TB response was that this is normal wear and tear, but after they looked more closely into it TB not only covered the shipping costs back and forth to Germany but sewed in a completely new zipper (that still looks new after a couple of years). Hope, they keep up this manner.
                    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
                    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby View Post
                      Hope, they keep up this manner.
                      NOPE, I received email today asking for me to pay for shipping Australia to USA. It's a warranty repair for poor stitching

Comment

Sorry it has taken me so long to update this situation.

Yes, I am in the US.

TB sent me a prepaid shipping label. The same day they received the bag, they made the repair. Their outgoing packages had already been picked up for the day, so Mike personally took it to the post office and sent it out. Also arrived with an “apology letter”, with some stickers and other goodies.

Comment

Thanks for updating us MTeric22 - I'm glad it all worked out!
                          “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
                          “Sir?”
                          “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
                          “Sir?”
                          “That’s practically zen.”
                          -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

Working...
                          X