Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,029   Posts: 194,206   Members: 6,939   Active Members: 205
Welcome to our newest member, aubreyand.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Item Limit Policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Item Limit Policy

Heads up! We’ve got a new policy we’re going to put in place to help some rare inventory not sell out so quickly. Going forward we’re going to start limiting any items that we think are at risk of selling out fast to one per person.

We don’t intend to roll this out to every product, so on the products that are impacted, you’ll see a note with the limit directly in the name of the color. For example, if the Black Ballistic / Cloud 210 Cadet has that limit, the color drop down will read “Black Ballistic/Cloud 210 Ballistic *limit one per customer”. Additionally, the ability to add multiple items to your cart will be limited to one for these items.

Here are some less fun things to talk about. While we’ve seen it for awhile, there has been an up-tick in the number of bags that we sell being re-sold on the secondary market for highly inflated prices. It doesn’t feel good to us, and we recognize it doesn’t feel good to a lot of you either. We work to keep our bags are fairly priced so that we can run a successful business, while still being accessible to a lot of different people. We’re really proud of what we make, and there is a lot of joy in being able to offer interesting and unique colors and fabrics compared to a lot of other bag companies. But when things sell out fast, and lots of folks get frustrated because they missed a bag, and then we see them selling for a lot more a day later, it sucks some of the fun out for us, and for you.

It’s likely some folks will try to work around this new policy, and we’re going to do our best to monitor it, but watching for this will be a somewhat manual thing on our end so I’d ask for your patience in this regard. We’ll be watching specifically for multiple orders and we will cancel anything that is beyond the limit. None of this is intended to penalize anyone, but rather to help make sure everyone who wants bags can get them!

One last point- this will not eliminate the fact that some things will sell out before everyone who wants an item can get it. We make a lot of different designs, in a lot of different colors, all with a relatively small number of people. It’s a business model that we enjoy, and we think a lot of you do too. The flip side of making so many cool things is that we don’t make thousands of any particular thing at a time, and the likelihood of things selling out is real. Similarly, our fabrics are nearly all custom in one way or another, whether in color or coating or some other way. That leads to limited resources, and with long lead times, we can’t just order more fabric when something exceeds our expectations. It’s the model we choose to work with, but there are these drawbacks.

There are a lot of fun things about TOM BIHN and we intend to keep it that way for a long time- we’re glad you’re all here with us! If you have any questions or comments about this new policy (or anything, really) feel free to comment in this thread or [email protected].​

Thanks MikeV & TB Crew

Can't fix everything, but I think it'll help ensure more folks get access to some items that are limited supply for whatever reason.
    “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
    “Sir?”
    “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
    “Sir?”
    “That’s practically zen.”
    -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

Thank you MikeV. I'm glad to see this. The secondary market for Night Walk items (on eBay) has gotten particularly bad. On the Facebook pages, at least, things still seem pretty fair.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Thanks for implementing this. I've seen it help with other collectable, droppy things that I'm into. On a similar note, did I miss out on those halcyon key straps that were mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by hedd View Post
            Thanks for implementing this. I've seen it help with other collectable, droppy things that I'm into. On a similar note, did I miss out on those halcyon key straps that were mentioned?
            I was told last week they haven't been released yet , you didn't miss out.

Comment

High friggin' five, MikeV and the rest of the crew!

I don't mind paying more than retail for retired items that haven't been available for sale in years.

But when I see items from recent limited quantity restocks and preorders pop up for sale on eBay?

It's gross. Damn gross. And I'm glad to hear you guys and gals are going to start monitoring suspicious purchasing habits.

Greedy resellers have even started popping up in subreddits and I'm at least glad to see folks there have no tolerance for it and will blatantly call these people out when they ask more than retail for something less than new.

I will say this much - I always opt to return my unwanted bags (instead of resale) because I want to pass on the good karma of giving someone else the chance to buy a bag they might have missed.

Also...Halcyon key straps?
              Last edited by Chicagoan; 10-27-2022, 04:40 PM.
              https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/portable-culture-portrait-three-favorites-with-eric-widuger

Comment

I am sorry this policy has to be implemented, AND thank-you for doing the manual work on your end to enforce it. It has been quite unpleasant to witness the eBay listings, especially in recent months. As a BIHN-binger I appreciate getting on a color way kick-- but we have two paying adults that could place orders individually should there be concern over sharing. Lol.

Comment

There's currently someone on eBay (username: "noble_accessories") selling five pen wraps - and of those five, there are two sets of the same color. I can see someone buying one of each color so they can choose one and send the rest back, but this is just belligerent.

Out of curiosity I went to view their other items for sale.

A $120 Cubelet.

And a $320 DLBP.

As well as some other items listed well above their original retail price.

Whomever they are, you would think they would attempt selling a bulk amount of items a little more discreetly given yesterday's new policy announcement.

Nope!

But it's nice to know the next time a "customer" like this attempts to buy a suspiciously large amount of limited quantity items, their order will be cancelled. ​

FYI there are resale subreddits I am a member of and their policy mandates items cannot be sold for more than their original purchase price - so if it is brand new you can ask what you paid, but no more than that.

One thing try and cut losses, or break even, but when pricing is set to make a profit, that's behaving like a business.
                  Last edited by Chicagoan; 10-28-2022, 09:21 AM.
                  https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/portable-culture-portrait-three-favorites-with-eric-widuger

Comment

Chicagoan: exactly! Not to mention the $220 Side Effect which they are calling a “bundle” because it includes the same accessories that ship with the TB bags (key strap, shoulder strap, cord pulls). It’s really egregious and I wish people wouldn’t patronize them. Hope this strategy works to deter such opportunism.
                    ----
                    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                    Edmund Burke

Comment

That seller also listed a Night Walk MCB for $650 not too long ago. The Side Effect “bundle” states “LastOne” which, of course, indicates buying multiples for profit.

Comment

I think this is a great idea, MikeV and TB Crew. The resellers are becoming more outrageous with every listing and, unfortunately, they're still finding people who are willing to pay their prices. I've noticed a similar trend with another small business I follow. Hopefully the new policy will help stop this from happening.

Comment

One other note on the "hot item" selling process. I've seen a lot of people getting frustrated by the timeliness of the in-stock alerts. It would be great if there could be a "will be in stock within the next hour" alert or something. Right now people with scraping bots are finding the inventory before anyone that asked for the alert.

Comment

Honestly one reason I like the pre-order sales model.

Everyone interested has an entire week or so to place an order and can buy a new item ahead of time for regular price.

And while the wait sucks (because of my own impatience), it's a lot better than getting beat to the checkout line.

This only works for new, unreleased debut items and while it won't work for limited quantity restocks I appreciate how calm and orderly - and most importantly, how fair - it is by comparison.
                            Last edited by Chicagoan; 10-28-2022, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post
                              Honestly one reason I like the pre-order sales model.

Everyone interested has an entire week or so to place an order and can buy a new item ahead of time for regular price.

And while the wait sucks (because of my own impatience), it's a lot better than getting beat to the checkout line.

This only works for new, unreleased debut items and while it won't work for limited quantity restocks I appreciate how calm and orderly - and most importantly, how fair - it is by comparison.
                              The issue here though is items that are limited by supply outside of TBs real control... The pre order would simply sell out, like it has in the past with limited supply (ex, Swifts with Wasabi)
                              “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
                              “Sir?”
                              “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
                              “Sir?”
                              “That’s practically zen.”
                              -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

Working...
                              X