Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,301   Posts: 197,933   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 181
Welcome to our newest member, Zmanlane1.

2023 Wish List

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bijoux
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2013

Neon pink 200d halcyon/dyneema
    Lavender 200d halcyon/dyneema

Add colourful halcyon/dyneema lining inside the main section of the Aeronauts 30 and 45.

Comment

• epeterson
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post
      A horizontally/landscape-oriented crossbody (read: NOT hip or sling pack) larger than the SK, smaller than the DLBC, with as much (if not more) built-in organization as the SK.
      Second this. I picked up a PCSB to try out, and I like the volume but not the lack of organization. If I were designing the interior myself I'd add sidekick style organization on the front and back (large) internal faces, and then collapsible (MB style) pockets on the ends where you could put water bottles or sunglass cases or things of similar size.

Comment

• Chicagoan
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2018

Originally posted by epeterson View Post

Second this. I picked up a PCSB to try out, and I like the volume but not the lack of organization. If I were designing the interior myself I'd add sidekick style organization on the front and back (large) internal faces, and then collapsible (MB style) pockets on the ends where you could put water bottles or sunglass cases or things of similar size.
        I think if they scaled the bag [proportionately] large enough to fit a standing 16-ounce water bottle and zip up completely over it, that would be around the sweet spot.
        I own a LOT of Tom Bihn bags, but here are the ones I'm using right now:

EDC: SK
        Day Hiking: Paragon 2.0
        Travel: Trinity or TS or T45 (Clothing and Shoes), SSK (Toiletries), Size 3 TSS (White Noise Machine), SZTSB (Drinks and Snacks), MYD (Board Games)

Here's a blog post I wrote about my 3 favorite bags:

https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/portable-culture-portrait-three-favorites-with-eric-widuger

Comment

• etain
          Forum Member
          • Aug 2019

Originally posted by epeterson View Post

I second the second. This would be a very useful addition for sure. Sometimes you just need more room and organization along with a place for water in a upright position.

Comment

• marbenais
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2008

More 1050d Ballistic for bags. I haven't tried the new 630d because the 525d has been so disappointing in how visibly it wears. The 1050d is just so much more durable.
            Repeating from last year's wish list:
            Smaller backpack with a mesh back panel, like the Zeitgeist, or a scaled-down Daylight Backpack (it's too big to be an unstructured bag for me). Major bonus if it's able to be flattened and packed inside one of the 30-45l bags.
            Please, please, please bring back the original-size Citizen Canine! So many people ask me where I got mine and I wish I could give them as gifts to new dog parents. The revised bigger one is good for excursions, but I use the original one constantly. I've had it for eleven years now (my ex ordered one for my birthday in December 2011 and I think emailed customer support to get it early to be there in time!) and use it every single time I take the dog outside, several times a day. I know it's very time-consuming and expensive to make because it's so small with so many one-off components (not used in other bags), but it is incredible. I've attached a picture of mine.
            Attached Files

Comment

• marbenais
              Forum Member
              • Nov 2008

I forgot to add that I would also like Dawn to come back, please.

And I'd like something like the Hero's Journey again - a truly modular bag, with a way of attaching the smaller bag to the larger one that's actually secure, not an ad-hoc addition using lash straps or carabiners. We are all used to wearing a cross-body bag along with a larger backpack for travel, but I would love to be able to just have the one bigger backpack with everything for the longer walking parts of traveling, because all shoulder straps get annoying after a while with the combination of the backpack straps (and wearing a waist-strap bag isn't an option for those of us who are short, since the backpack already goes down below the waist). If the smaller bag is one that used Gatekeeper attachments for the strap - like some of the messenger bags used to have - matching loops to hold those Gatekeepers could be put on the top or bottom of the Aeronaut or Techonaut (in the backpack orientation) - like the waist strap attaches to the regular backpacks now. If you made the double Gatekeeper Rail Clips (as used on the Caches) bigger (like the ones on the waist strap for the Addax and Brain Bag), that could be an easy way to have the extra loops be fairly unobtrusive when not in use.

Comment

• KGG
                Forum Member
                • Sep 2021

Upvote for Dawn! So many great suggestions and ideas on this thread already. 🙂

Comment

• G42
                  Volunteer Moderator
                  • Sep 2017

Encore or pre-order production run of 1050 ballistic Moveable Feast.
                  Totally fine if the specialty little labels aren't in there... I just want the bag with the stiff heavy material, the dividers/bottle holders, etc. and the awesome Poron handles
                  +++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot+++

Comment

• Walker
                    Forum Member
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by kris View Post
                    I would love to see a larger/wider Side Kick with an open slip pocket on the back for stashing a map or a newspaper. If that's not in the cards, then how about a Tom Bihn version of the Donner bag by the now-defunct Overland Equipment?

. . . it also has two wonderful external side pockets that practically "disappear" when you don't use them. Genius! It was during my search for such innovative design that happily led me to Tom Bihn. I'd really love to see these features incorporated into a new bag!​
                    For years, I asked for a version of the PCSB with the organization of the SK on this thread. It went nowhere, so I stopped asking.

I once had a black Donner bag by Overland Equipment in black cordura fabric. Someone borrowed it and it did not come back. By then, the bag was no longer in production.

The external side pockets design is indeed genius. I carried a water bottle in one and my coffee bottle in the other pocket. And yes, the pockets "disappeared"'when not needed. I have been looking for a bag with similar pocket design ever since.

The Icon is the "closest" in "look" to the Donner. I did note that the original poster kris' comments about the Icon not quite hitting "it."

Comment

• marbenais
                      Forum Member
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Walker View Post

For years, I asked for a version of the PCSB with the organization of the SK on this thread. It went nowhere, so I stopped asking.

I once had a black Donner bag by Overland Equipment in black cordura fabric. Someone borrowed it and it did not come back. By then, the bag was no longer in production.

The external side pockets design is indeed genius. I carried a water bottle in one and my coffee bottle in the other pocket. And yes, the pockets "disappeared"'when not needed. I have been looking for a bag with similar pocket design ever since.

The Icon is the "closest" in "look" to the Donner. I did note that the original poster kris' comments about the Icon not quite hitting "it."
                      I get that the lack of organization is part of the design of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, so it can be that packing cube, but that size is really nice! I can fit my Side Kick, water bottle, and a few other things in it. But - because it's a packing cube at its core - it's really awkward to carry around all day due to the lack of structure.
                      I had one of those Donner bags, too, and those were the only external water bottle pockets I've ever liked. It wasn't big enough inside for me to carry everything I needed at the time (mainly books since this was pre-smartphone and Kindle era!) so I didn't keep it for long.
                      I didn't try the Icon because it is too small to have so many different compartments for me. The Imago is really the smallest messenger bag I've found useful (I consider the Medium Cafe Bag a purse which can carry water bottles/umbrellas rather than an actual bag). I like the idea of the Cambiata but it looks like it's too big of a bag for me - I'm 5'1" with shoes on, and, while I'm on the larger side, bigger bags look very big when they are near my legs.

I would love a convertible backpack/messenger bag which is closer to 15 liters (anywhere between like 12 and 18 would be good, probably).

Along with G42's request for the Moveable Feast in 1050d ballistic - the Truck/Monster Truck, too, please! The bags can support the weight of heavy loads but the fabric itself isn't as good for the kinds of objects which are that heavy, if that makes sense.

Comment

• Walker
                        Forum Member
                        • May 2011

I would LOVE a small Q-Kit First Aid kit. Yes I can use any small Q-Kit to accomplish the purpose. BUT one in red fabric with the white cross would be better and easier for other people to find/recognize as a first aid kit.
                        Last edited by Walker; 12-04-2022, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• Large4mat
                          • Sep 2016

Brain Bag in Beaver Camo, Please
                          Pilot in Beaver Camo, Please

Comment

• Shortie
                            Forum Member
                            • Oct 2017

A return of the 210 fabrics for shop bags and pouches. I purchased a small Grab Bag in Montana and it reminded me of how much I like 210, much more so than Cerlyon.

Comment

• Chicagoan
                              Forum Member
                              • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Shortie View Post
                              A return of the 210 fabrics for shop bags and pouches. I purchased a small Grab Bag in Montana and it reminded me of how much I like 210, much more so than Cerlyon.
                              Is it the color section? Handfeel? Both?

I don't mind Cerylon, BUT I do wish they offered more colors than red, blue, and gray.

And the Small Grab Bags are proof that bolder color combination will sell - if they made a khaki faced and teal lined bag, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. That "Montana" combo is handsome as heck. Er, was! They sold out! :-)
                              I own a LOT of Tom Bihn bags, but here are the ones I'm using right now:

EDC: SK
                              Day Hiking: Paragon 2.0
                              Travel: Trinity or TS or T45 (Clothing and Shoes), SSK (Toiletries), Size 3 TSS (White Noise Machine), SZTSB (Drinks and Snacks), MYD (Board Games)

Here's a blog post I wrote about my 3 favorite bags:

https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/portable-culture-portrait-three-favorites-with-eric-widuger

Comment

• Shortie
                                Forum Member
                                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Chicagoan View Post

Is it the color section? Handfeel? Both?

I don't mind Cerylon, BUT I do wish they offered more colors than red, blue, and gray.

And the Small Grab Bags are proof that bolder color combination will sell - if they made a khaki faced and teal lined bag, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. That "Montana" combo is handsome as heck. Er, was! They sold out! :-)
                                Color and handfeel. Mostly I prefer neutral colored bigger bags lined with Northwest Sky (a much better gray than Mountain!) and colorful accessories.
                                Last edited by Shortie; 12-05-2022, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X