Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,953   Posts: 193,088   Members: 6,829   Active Members: 295
Welcome to our newest member, JuniorCyclist.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your 2011 TOM BIHN Wish List?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Yoke-style backpack straps on the Synapse, I'm a big guy with a thick neck and the current strap can get a little uncomfortable.

    Mesh back panel and yoke-style straps on the Smart Alec.

    Someday I guess I should take a serious look at the Brain Bag...
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

    Comment


      A gym bag--preferably one that has a section that can be sealed off, for use with, say, a swimsuit. I've been using two bags--my small Cafe bag, and a random army-style messenger bag that I had before I discovered Tom Bihn. I suppose the Aeronaut would work, but it's way too big for that. I mean, I use a smaller bag when I go on vacations, so I'm a bit of a minimalist. A mini-Aeronaut would totally fill that niche, too.

      Plus, you know, it could come in Forest/Ultraviolet. Just sayin'.

      Comment


        Originally posted by keb View Post
        Yoke-style backpack straps on the Synapse, I'm a big guy with a thick neck and the current strap can get a little uncomfortable.

        Mesh back panel and yoke-style straps on the Smart Alec.

        Someday I guess I should take a serious look at the Brain Bag...

        I am 5.7 and curvy, I have 3 Brain Bags, they are really really comfortable to us, not petite persons

        I tried the Synapse on and a very particular color is on pre-order. I love it because I have slightly sloped small shoulder and long neck which means it fits perfectly.

        To me, It is meant to be a smaller version of the Brain Bag for petite people who are overwhelmed by the size of the Brain Bag but still want the marvelous pockets, organization and balance of the Brain Bag in a small package.
        It also serves as a small backpack for errants by foot, bus and bike in urban/suburban areas, a great hand free shopping for clothes, shoes, scarves and hats, a netbook/lunch/snacks/Lifefactory bottle carrier for work or field work or trips.


        Anyhow, you already know about the Synapse so you ought to try the Brain Bag, you are going to love it so much, you might order more than one.

        One of my Brain Bag is always used by my husband who is also 5.7 and size medium frame.
        He is happy with the Brain Bag.
        It doesn't sound like a big deal but once, before we used Tom Bihn Bags, he removed all his stuff from other carry-ons and put them in a huge check only amorphous duffel. Gifts from relatives had completely thrown my careful carry on only strategy.
        I envisioned having to go shopping for clothes the day after of our return! (we had several checked bags coming really late after a long cross country flight or a day or a week late before I switched to carry on only)


        It has never happened with the Brain Bag which has been packed for him as with casual clothes vacation or dressy event and casual vacation combo or a month long business casual cold weather clothes, dressy clothes for 2 events (one in cold and one in warm weather), jeans and short for cold and warm weather casual outings.
        First trip to cold location was done by car (DC during snowmagedon) and we flew from that location to the warm one (Florida colder than usual)
        Most fit in one Brain Bag but, we both needed our dressy jackets. so I took a humongous garment bag, a big mistake I bought before I knew of Tom Bihn bags.

        An Aeronaut is a much better option for dress jackets (the ones with shoulder pads) or suits. Navy Aeronaut is on the list.
        Last edited by backpack; 08-16-2011, 01:05 PM.

        Comment


          I do love my Aeronaut. I actually use the Western Flyer large packing cube in it to carry a suit or sportjacket, in addition to the aeronaut large cube. I love my Synapse as a small all purpose bag and just used it for an overnight trip with the WF small packing cube and the Kit inside. Still with plenty of room left. I just don't love the way the straps fit, and I would love an outer clip or bungee cord for dangling wet swim trunks and the like, as well as a little more space to really make it a viable 2-3 day trip bag that would be a little more "backpacky" than my Western Flyer. I also need the mesh back panel. Anytime I carry my Aeronaut as a backpack the sweat factor is not pretty. The Brain Bag just seems like overkill to me, and I think the divided central compartment limits my ability to carry, say, a ski helmet.
          Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

          Comment


            Originally posted by keb View Post
            I do love my Aeronaut. I actually use the Western Flyer large packing cube in it to carry a suit or sportjacket, in addition to the aeronaut large cube. I love my Synapse as a small all purpose bag and just used it for an overnight trip with the WF small packing cube and the Kit inside. Still with plenty of room left. I just don't love the way the straps fit, and I would love an outer clip or bungee cord for dangling wet swim trunks and the like, as well as a little more space to really make it a viable 2-3 day trip bag that would be a little more "backpacky" than my Western Flyer. I also need the mesh back panel. Anytime I carry my Aeronaut as a backpack the sweat factor is not pretty. The Brain Bag just seems like overkill to me, and I think the divided central compartment limits my ability to carry, say, a ski helmet.
            You are describing the Smart Alec!

            Comment


              Originally posted by backpack View Post
              You are describing the Smart Alec!
              I know!!! But back to my original thoughts, I need the Dri-Spacer mesh on the back panel and I'm a little leery of a backpack without the yoke-style strap! And maybe one more external pocket on the front panel like the Synapse has. And the carabiner clip like the Brain Bag. Hence my wish-list post!
              Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

              Comment


                @keb: what are "yoke-style straps" ??

                I would like to see a smaller backpack. Smaller still than the synapse. Around 10 - 14 Litres.
                It would be sleek enough to use instead of a purse. You could use it to hold your hydration unit thing, if you wanted.
                The backpack would have some kind of meshy air system thing that would be great for keeping your back cool. (Deuter has some good ideas in this area - they attach a verticle strip of mesh-covered padding along the length of both sides of the pack to create a air 'chimney' in the middle))

                I've looked at other bike packs, and they are full of logos and flashy colours. It would be nice to see something more sleek and understated.

                I know there is the buzz, but I'm concerned about the sling-style strap. Seems like a backpack would move around less and fit women's bodies better.
                My little set of TB stuff:
                Western Flyer (steel/ultraviolet)
                Small Pouch (cork)
                Large Shop Bag (solar)
                packing cubes

                Comment


                  http://media.rei.com/media/yy/1b5d3a...7d4526b5c3.jpg

                  For example. This is actually my alternative pack (discontinued I think-- got it many years ago) to the Synapse that I use when going the beach sometimes or when I know I am going to be wearing it on my back for long stretches during the day, but it could never be anything more than a daypack. It's really an outdoor sports dedicated day pack with hydration area (never knew what that really was for until recently), and lots of mesh pockets and such. It's really too small for me to wear but i do anyway. I think it lists close to the same volume as the Synapse but it is nowhere near as versatile or roomy.

                  Anyway, the straps attach to the top yoke and the whole strap attachment region sits more flush against my back in addition to having the effect of widening the straps across my back and neck.
                  Last edited by keb; 08-18-2011, 12:46 PM.
                  Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

                  Comment


                    @keb: OK. I see what you mean. Thanks.

                    ...And the bag you show is what i want TB to make, minus all the webbing and paraphernalia on the outside :-)
                    My little set of TB stuff:
                    Western Flyer (steel/ultraviolet)
                    Small Pouch (cork)
                    Large Shop Bag (solar)
                    packing cubes

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by keb View Post
                      For example. This is actually my alternative pack (discontinued I think-- got it many years ago) to the Synapse that I use when going the beach sometimes or when I know I am going to be wearing it on my back for long stretches during the day, but it could never be anything more than a daypack. It's really an outdoor sports dedicated day pack with hydration area (never knew what that really was for until recently), and lots of mesh pockets and such. It's really too small for me to wear but i do anyway. I think it lists close to the same volume as the Synapse but it is nowhere near as versatile or roomy.

                      Anyway, the straps attach to the top yoke and the whole strap attachment region sits more flush against my back in addition to having the effect of widening the straps across my back and neck.
                      That yoke and the non-padding of the straps would bother me to no end.

                      The yoke would be in the way, I have long hair and hate having my neck covered with heavy fabric and non padded strap would mean instant shafting at my weight bearing points.

                      This shows how hard it is to design for people in all shapes, sizes, preferred carrying method...

                      Comment


                        I think that the straps are also padded, though quite thin. The bag is too small to get heavy really. There are actually two small compartments rather than one large one. I find the Synapse much more useful but I like to throw a damp surf shirt into the outside pocket and with all the sand it is useful to have the webbed compartments for my Jimi wallet and sunscreen and sunglass case. The outer straps are also pretty useful for hanging things off of like a hat or even flip flops. Those waist pockets are pretty easy to access for hotel key cards, etc. Like I said, I really only use this for the beach now or for the occasional true outdoors day. I can't carry nearly as much securely as I can with the Synapse.

                        As for the yoke straps, I can see how that would drive a pony tail person nuts. My hair is long (my wife hates it!!) but not that long. I find that the yoke makes the straps much more comfortable and stable for me across my upper back and neck. (I'm a little over 6', about 210, wear a size 44 jacket and abt a 17" neck, and I am fairly thick through the ribs from back to front.)
                        Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by keb View Post
                          I think that the straps are also padded, though quite thin. The bag is too small to get heavy really. There are actually two small compartments rather than one large one. I find the Synapse much more useful but I like to throw a damp surf shirt into the outside pocket and with all the sand it is useful to have the webbed compartments for my Jimi wallet and sunscreen and sunglass case. The outer straps are also pretty useful for hanging things off of like a hat or even flip flops. Those waist pockets are pretty easy to access for hotel key cards, etc. Like I said, I really only use this for the beach now or for the occasional true outdoors day. I can't carry nearly as much securely as I can with the Synapse.

                          As for the yoke straps, I can see how that would drive a pony tail person nuts. My hair is long (my wife hates it!!) but not that long. I find that the yoke makes the straps much more comfortable and stable for me across my upper back and neck. (I'm a little over 6', about 210, wear a size 44 jacket and abt a 17" neck, and I am fairly thick through the ribs from back to front.)
                          Keb, my hair is long even in a pony tail, waist length, for trips with the Brain Bag, updo is in order.

                          The Super Ego Messenger Bag by: TOM BIHN Blog picture of a long haired young lady carrying Super Ego. My hair would cover the bag.

                          But never mind me, you ought to try on the Smart Alec with a PCBP for damp clothes, in the order get a Small Swift for your wife, search history of men hairstyles on the web, match the outfit or a nice custom from the eras of longer hair. Gift her the Small Swift.

                          Play with Smart Alec and tell us what you think.
                          Last edited by backpack; 08-20-2011, 11:58 PM.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by backpack View Post
                            But never mind me, you ought to try on the Smart Alec with a PCBP for damp clothes, in the order get a Small Swift for your wife, search history of men hairstyles on the web, match the outfit or a nice custom from the eras of longer hair. Gift her the Small Swift.

                            Play with Smart Alec and tell us what you think.
                            Maybe I should have Rocky post on his Brain Bag. . . If I do backpack, will you comment and suggest a bribe of a LS to placate me????
                            I really, really like TB Bags!

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by dorayme View Post
                              Maybe I should have Rocky post on his Brain Bag. . . If I do backpack, will you comment and suggest a bribe of a LS to placate me????
                              I will, it is the kind of "incentive" my lovely husband has understood the minute I ordered my second TB order.

                              Dorayme, as a Mom of 3 loverly kidlets, you deserve a Little Swift and a Swift in every color!

                              Comment


                                I figure not this year, but hopefully next year I would love to see a purple or Azalea like color in the Ballistic material
                                Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X