Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,493   Posts: 187,443   Members: 6,454   Active Members: 335
Welcome to our newest member, bored_and_agitated.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first TB bags... and my first post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrsT
    replied
    it has actually been unusually dry for this time of year so I can sympathize with your grandfather. seeing where you live, i guess you get more rain in Scotland than I do here in London!

Leave a comment:

• Fat Crip
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsT View Post
    living in London we do have our fair share of rain
    Really? I thought you were having a drought. My Grandfather is very worried about his trees again.

Eric

Leave a comment:

• MrsT
    replied
    Originally posted by Fat Crip View Post
    Hi Tanya, I love your user name. I met the other Mrs. T and its true that she really does have the ability to make you feel the only person in the room. A great woman.
    I'm assuming you don't mean the prehistoric Mrs T, LOL !!

Leave a comment:

• Fat Crip
    replied
    Hi Tanya, I love your user name. I met the other Mrs. T and its true that she really does have the ability to make you feel the only person in the room. A great woman.

Leave a comment:

• MrsT
    replied
    Originally posted by falconea View Post
    I line the similar pocket in my Synapse with a Large Yarn Stuff sack, which is made of Dyneema. It's not totally waterproof in the sense that you could transport fish in it, but it prevents any leakage into the rest of the bag, and if my bottle of chocolate milk leaks it's easy to wash the stuff sack.

Audrey
    I thought of doing something similar but as nobody seems to have had any issues I'll just go with it 'as is' and re-evaluate if I have any problems.

Leave a comment:

• falconea
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsT View Post
    anyway, yesterday I emailed customer services and asked if lining the whole middle compartment with Dyneema would ever be in the cards.
    I line the similar pocket in my Synapse with a Large Yarn Stuff sack, which is made of Dyneema. It's not totally waterproof in the sense that you could transport fish in it, but it prevents any leakage into the rest of the bag, and if my bottle of chocolate milk leaks it's easy to wash the stuff sack.

Audrey

Leave a comment:

• MrsT
    replied
    I've taken the plunge!!
    nobody who actually have the bag has mentioned having a problem with stuff in the side pockets getting damp/wet... so I figured Tom and the people at TB must know what they are doing
    so I placed the order for a Steel/Iberian Co-Pilot, the Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap and some more pouches. Can't have too many pouches LOL.
    now I have a week of frequently checking the UPS tracking site, getting ridiculously excited every time there's an update and the parcel is getting closer to delivery!!
    it is due to be delivered on Monday but from experience with UPS it will probably be delivered on Tuesday.

Leave a comment:

• Maria
    replied
    Originally posted by blackfungi View Post
    thanks for the info maria. i am going to try and order one of the nicer ones online.
    I'd be willing to go in on that order with you! Perhaps if Knirps knows there are at least two Toronto customers willing to pay for the "made in Austria" umbrellas - they will sell them to us.

Leave a comment:

• blackfungi
    replied
    thanks for the info maria. i am going to try and order one of the nicer ones online.

Leave a comment:

• Maria
    replied
    Originally posted by blackfungi View Post
    maria, who is a good stockist of a wide range of knirps umbrellas? thanks.
    I was surprised to find the brand at "Bonny's Satchels and Duffels" in the basement of the Manulife Centre - technically on Bloor Street, you can access the shop via the underground area around from Holt's, or the outer stairwell just outside of Birk's too. The prices were reasonable at Bonny's too. They told me they can order anything from the Knirps website. But be warned, Bonny's do not accept returns, only store credit. (I found that out the hard way, after understanding, well misunderstanding the accent I guess, when I bought something to see if it would fit in a bag I had at home.) I searched several places in Toronto looking for Knirps, even Betty Hemmings Leathergoods (and travel stuff) located on Cumberland didn't have Knirps.

Note the Knirps folding umbrellas and the ones on the website are all made in China! The one I have is excellent, but I thought they were made in Austria. I wrote to Knirps and was informed that only the higher end umbrellas are made in Austria and the distributors decide if they want to sell them in other countries. I got the impression the market for such is too small in Canada. I would really like to get one of the higher end ones, I admit it!

Leave a comment:

• blackfungi
    replied
    maria, who is a good stockist of a wide range of knirps umbrellas? thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Maria
    replied
    MrsT - I too am a pocket person, I like the pouches for organization of course, but really like to have everything in it's place in it's own pocket. In that sense, I dream the Co-Pilot would have even more pockets! Lip balm, business cards, even two ultrasuede pockets - one for a phone, Ipod type device, and maybe even one for a small camera. How about a pocket for the ear buds? Okay, I digress...

I have a Knirps foldable umbrella with a sturdy zippered cover. It keeps the wet umbrella from damaging items next to it. In the middle pocket of a Co-Pilot, I feel everything is safe that way. Yes, I like to be extra prepared and hence the foldable plastic bags. But those can be used for impulse shopping / groceries etc.

Here is a link to the Knirps folding umbrellas with covers:

Folding

I also bought the wonderful Absolute strap for my Co-Pilot. For my frame, I find it a little too cumbersome and heavy for everyday use. But it does lighten the weight! I'm saving the Absolute strap for when I can buy a Tri-Star or a Western Flyer bag, then I'll also order a regular standard strap for my Co-Pilot.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• MrsT
    replied
    Thanks for the welcome, Maria!

I'm thinking my iPhone will live in the ultrasuede pocket but that leaves my notebook (with leather cover) and my compact camera... I don't really want to have the camera in a separate pouch as it will constantly be taken out and used then put back in. and I obviously don't want the leather cover to be ruined by water. living in London we do have our fair share of rain and I would welcome a bag where plastic bags wrapped around your brolly is no longer necessary.

besides, one of the features that attracts me to this bag (and other TB bags) is the organisation - the different pockets making it unnecessary to have a bunch of separate pouches.

anyway, yesterday I emailed customer services and asked if lining the whole middle compartment with Dyneema would ever be in the cards. I will make my decision based on their reply but I'm leaning towards getting the bag as it doesn't seem to be a huge problem with condensation/rain entering the two front side pockets.

Thanks for taking the time to reply *waves*

Leave a comment:

• Maria
    replied
    Well I wouldn't mind getting a new camera! I'll have to bring my Co-pilot when I go camera shopping, to make sure the possible new camera fits into the ultrasuede pocket!

Leave a comment:

• jannilee
    replied
    Hmm! Guess it depends on your camera. My Fuji Finepix fits easily and so does my Canon SD850. Don't think it would fit Canon A series or other mid size cameras tho'.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X