Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,498   Posts: 187,501   Members: 6,458   Active Members: 330
Welcome to our newest member, scjoyner.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going marsupial! TB Bags that fit inside other TB bags.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teresapoet
    replied
    Partially cross-posting from the zip top bags packing thread I just replied to, since I’m really excited about this marsupial usage!

I just received my long-awaited order of a Small ZTSB and a DLBP yesterday, and I've been testing out how I might use them together. I discovered that a partially full SZTSB can slide easily into the DLBP with (almost) everything still inside! This may become my primary way to use the two bags since it's so versatile. I often prefer the tote format for better organization and visibility, but it can get tiring to carry everything on one shoulder. This is almost like having a tote bag that can convert into a backpack, just a little more bulk with the advantage of being able to use both bags simultaneously if my load grows. The SZTSB can't be packed to its full width in order to fit in the DLBP, but it isn't an issue since my planned packing involves a Travel Cubelet in one of the side pockets that I'd wear separately from the DLBP anyway.

Here are some pictures to illustrate...

Packed SZTSB:

SZTSB with DLBP and Travel Cubelet removed:

SZTSB inside the DLBP:

SZTSB inside the DLBP still has room for the TC and/or other items on top:

All the test contents (Size 2 Travel Stuff Sack, Travel Cubelet, two Cubelets, Mini Ghost Whale, umbrella, and small water bottle):

Leave a comment:

• usna92
    replied
    Amazing Idea!

Originally posted by pvn View Post
    I pack my Brain Bag with clothes in the rear main compartment and my laptop, camera and doodads in the front main compartment. I've used both the ristretto and a large cafe bag in there with no problems. It's also possible to fit a makers bag in there, though I'm not a huge fan of this since you either have to put it in vertically (which makes getting into the MB awkward), or you try to squeeze it in horizontally, which is possible, but not ideal.
    That's a great idea. I just ordered a medium cafe bag and I am in the process of retro fitting my older brain bag for cache use. (Occasionally I have had to haul around 2 laptops and an iPad). Putting the Cafe bag in the front would be so useful for longer trips!

Leave a comment:

• pvn
    replied
    I only do that for longer trips where I'll be in one place for multiple days. Generally I'll get to a hotel, leave the BB in the room and just use the Ristretto/MB/LCB walking around town (laptop + notepad + camera). If I'm going to be hitting multiple cities in one trip, I'll usually just put the laptop in a cache in the front compartment with the other doodads in 3DOCs or a snake charmer etc and save the extra bulk of having another bag.

Leave a comment:

• aedifica
    replied
    Originally posted by pvn View Post
    I pack my Brain Bag with clothes in the rear main compartment and my laptop, camera and doodads in the front main compartment. I've used both the ristretto and a large cafe bag in there with no problems. It's also possible to fit a makers bag in there, though I'm not a huge fan of this since you either have to put it in vertically (which makes getting into the MB awkward), or you try to squeeze it in horizontally, which is possible, but not ideal.
    My goodness. I had never thought to try that!

Leave a comment:

• Cristina
    replied
    A Travel Cubelet fits inside a Side Kick. My TC is currently my essentials bag, and for a short hike I sometimes put my 8oz water bottle, snack bar, and a hat in my SK next to my TC. Then I put on the padded hip belt and it becomes an excellent waist pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• pvn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Buffalonian
    replied
    I recently bought a Shadow Guide, and discovered that the main pocket on the flap has more volume than I'd expect. It's about the same height and width as a Side Kick, but deeper. (The same is true for the Guide's Pack.)

It's a tight fit, but you can stuff a loaded Side Kick in it. Anything smaller would fit very well, including a Side Effect.

Leave a comment:

• misterN
    replied
    Maker's Bag

So instead of studying today, I got to wondering what I could all fit in my Makers Bag...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0601 (2).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	299697
    A wild stuffed Makers Bag appears...

Name:	IMG_0603 (2).JPG
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	299696
    ...with a bunch of camera gear in it...

Name:	IMG_0607 (2).JPG
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	299695
    ...how you ask? With a Camera I/O!

The bag could maybe fit a tablet in it, but there's not much room left after the IO is in there.

Leave a comment:

• antkm1
    replied
    My MCB fits perfectly into my Smart Alec, which is my usual carry-on bag for trips. That way i don't have to transfer items from the MCB to the Alec if I need something. Just pull it out and get what I need!

Leave a comment:

• Fever39
    replied
    this thread is so much win... that i had to bump. but i am so glad that i can fit the new Fjord PCBP into a brain bag i intend to purchase(as soon as my desired colorway appears)

Leave a comment:

• Saltgirl
    replied
    Thank you Kkintea and moriond.
    The SCB (cordura) generally holds 2 mini OPs (wallet and lip/hair stuff), a micro OP with earbuds, iphone 5, bulky sunglasses, chico bag (small fist size) and a check book. These items do not fit comfortably in a SE for me. I was very sad to discover this. Perhaps I will try again with a dyneema SE some day.

My thought for getting a pilot, PU or NFTD is for 1-2 night business trips in which the larger bag would have to hold 1 slacks, 1-2 shirts, unders, 18 oz kleen kanteen and Tom's 3-1-1 bag. My computer, cords and ipad can go in my minimalist computer sleeve with strap. I have done this with an SFBag of similar size so I'm not worried about fitting that stuff all in.

The SCB is for meals and evenings when I tend to wander the city I'm in. And while I could dump it and roll it, I prefer just sliding it in another bag and using it like a pocket.

I wish the strap were removable because then I could clip it to my computer sleeve and it would be one bag by airline standards.

Leave a comment:

• kkintea
    replied
    In the parental unit: SCB fits empty rolled in front or back pocket (these are the same - the dividers are sewn in, so it's rate limiting) or lightly stuffed if you unsnap the middle section. If I were going to do it, I would pack it flat and put purse items in the smaller front/back pocket slots, and have the SCB ready if there was a need to downsize or add a second bag on a trip. What is the packing list for the SCB combo?

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435724947.662474.jpg
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	296964

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435724956.963645.jpg
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	296965

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435724964.879826.jpg
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	296966

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435724974.100507.jpg
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	296967

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435724981.665701.jpg
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	296968

Leave a comment:

• kkintea
    replied
    The SCB has a hand towel in it, the closest "light stuffing" item on hand.

With dyneema, you can orient it sideways in the end pocket but it needs room to squish. The most efficient way to get it into the NFTD would be to fold or roll it empty (IMO). I cannot account for cordura, as I don't have one to try in that fabric. If you can downsize, I would go with the side effect as a day bag with NFTD.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435724178.484227.jpg
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	296959

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435724187.168003.jpg
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	296960

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435724198.804999.jpg
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	296961

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435724208.906792.jpg
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	296962

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435724218.472135.jpg
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	296963

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by Saltgirl View Post
    Can anyone tell me if a lightly packed SCB fits in a NFTD (end pocket preferably, with SCB flap tucked in its own back pocket) or in a PU or Pilot front pocket?
    @Saltgirl, I have no information on the NFTD, but a Small Cafe Bag is too large to fit into a Pilot Front Pocket. A standard Spiff Kit (9.5” x 5.7” x 2.6” / 240 x 145 x 65 mm) just about fills up one of the front pockets of the Pilot, with a little extra vertical room, as I mentioned in my reply post to @bchaplin (#37 in the Introducing Spiff Kits + New Accessories and Retiring Classic Designs thread, with the included picture:

… here's a picture of a filled Spiff Kit in the right front pocket of a Black 400d Dyneema/Wasabi Pilot:

You can see that it pretty well fills up the depth of the pocket, but doesn't go all the way to the top of the compartment.

The SCB (Dimensions: 10.6" x 8.2" x 2.9" / 270 x 210 x 75 mm) is too wide to fit into one of the Pilot pockets

I also think the SCB would be too large to fit into the Parental Unit front pocket, although I have neither bag easily to hand. The Standard Spiff Kit mentioned above is also a good fit to the center front (or back) pocket of the Parental Unit. I don't recall there being any pictures of this on the forums, but here's one that I took of an Ultraviolet Standard Spiff Kit in the front pocket of an Aubergine/Wasabi Parental Unit:

Name:	IMG_1341.JPG
Size:	566.7 KB
ID:	296958

Again, you have to know that the Small Cafe Bag is much wider than the Standard Spiff Kit to see that it would not fit in these locations.

I would also guess the SCB is too large to fit into the end pocket of a NFTD (which I don't have), unless you have a Dyneema SCB that you could partially roll up, but I'll let someone who has the NFTD answer that.

HTH

moriond

Leave a comment:

• Saltgirl
    replied
    Can anyone tell me if a lightly packed SCB fits in a NFTD (end pocket preferably, with SCB flap tucked in its own back pocket) or in a PU or Pilot front pocket?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X