Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,766   Posts: 190,579   Members: 6,645   Active Members: 253
Welcome to our newest member, YSAKit5982.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confusion Reigns! Help clear the cobwebs before the dough goes elsewhere...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffmac
    replied
    Welcome to the addiction...I mean club Scattered!

Leave a comment:

• Scattered
    replied
    Thanks to all of you for your comments. Especially jeffmac and misterN whose posts with their personal Cadet experiences shed some light on questions that I had about the Cadet. Last night I finally had a chance to call and place an order with Katy, and I went with a 13/15 Cadet in Black/Iberian with an Absolute strap. It will probably be my everyday bag, at least for a while. I'll put my iPad in the oversized for it Cache on typical days and swap it for my 15" MacBook Pro when I need the laptop. If I need a bunch of other stuff but not the laptop, I'll pull out the Cache to make a little extra room. I've put a Small Cafe Bag on my Christmas list. Although, I still have this strange yearning for a Ristretto for iPad. Somehow, I have the odd feeling this won't be my last Tom Bihn order! No, I must go back to work - have to earn some bucks to pay for my Tom Bihn predilection!

Leave a comment:

• kjm3579
    replied
    I bought the Synapse in Black and Steel for my EDC bag. I currently have in it: small first aid kit, gum, breath freshener, sun glasses and interchangeable lense kit, Android smart phone, travel umbrella, iPad and all of its accessories in a InCase Travel Kit Plus (Amazon.com: Incase CL57513 Travel Kit Plus - Black: Electronics), lunch, 25 fl. oz water bottle, asst. pens & pencils, and a mini flashlight. I carry this bag to work and have also taken in on short trips, such as my trip to NY City last week. I have carried all of this minus the lunch and had room for my gym clothes instead on days hen I can spend time relaxing with a long workout. The black gives it a formal almost business appearance while still being a backpack for ease of carrying. This was great in NYC where a side carry bag would get in the way in crowds.

Leave a comment:

• Scattered
    replied
    misterN – Thank you for the photos; seeing the Cadet filled with “stuff” does help. I now understand what you meant in your other Cadet posts about the the Cardinal color; it does seem brighter in your photos than I would have expected.

Jeffmac – Thanks for letting me know the Cadet would probably stay fairly stiff even without a laptop inside. That’s very good to know.

Doh – I briefly considered the Buzz; however, I find the cross-body carrying a little uncomfortable and fairly inconvenient getting in and out of the car everyday and for meetings. Also, it’s not quite professional looking enough for client meetings.

Wennefer – I do have a couple of organizer pouches I’m using with my current Levenger leather messenger bag. I don’t mind using them for miscellaneous smaller stuff I don’t use all the time (multi-tool, tape measure, gum), but I want to be able to keep often-used items (wallet, iPhone, and camera) in a pocket where I can grab them easily, yet know they’re still secure. I’ll be giving more consideration to whether using pouches a bit more could work for me.

Tlacltme – Life got in the way and I haven’t had time to think about bag choices, never mind make a decision. Right now, I’m debating between the ID and Cadet to purchase for myself as my “need all my stuff at work today” bag. It's between the Imago and a Ristretto as the bag on my Christmas list for those “I can travel to work light" days.

I’ll keep checking this thread in case anyone else cares to chime in with advice and information. I’ll also post if/when I finally come to a decision!

Leave a comment:

• Tlacltme
    replied
    So Scattered, I'm curious what you've decided. Which will be your every day casual bag (thx for explaining!) and which will be your elephant dog cat bag?

Leave a comment:

• wennefer
    replied
    Just wanted to comment on what you said about the Imago: "Concerns – not enough pockets to safely store little items, plus securely store bulkier wallet, checkbook, and keycase." That's what organizer pouches are for

In my Imago I typically have two medium pouches clipped, each clipped to one of the interior O-rings. One holds the computer power adapter and cable, ethernet cable, various adapters. The other holds various chargers and Shure earphones. I have three small pouches, each clipped to a key strap, clipped to the aforementioned O-rings. Each pouch slips into the interior pockets. One holds several thumb drives, one holds bluetooth headset, and one holds iPhone stuff (ear buds, power adapter and cable, 3G Juice battery pack, car charger, and an Ultrasuede cleaning cloth). I also clip a pen/pencil organizer on the inside.

In the front zipper pocket I clip a mini pouch to the O-ring, which holds odds and ends. In the front open pocket I keep a mini pouch with my business cards (on a key strap clipped to the O-ring) and clip a couple of pens there too.

My guess is that you can probably come up with a similar arrangement for your small stuff, checkbook, wallet, and key case.

Leave a comment:

• Doh
    replied
    I don't want to add to the confusion, but have you considered a Buzz? I've had one for almost a year now (keep meaning to post a review) and it's a very nice bag that holds a surprising amount. Offhand I think it could probably carry everything - including the macbook and the notebook. There are some design pros and cons built into choosing a sling bag, but overall I think the Buzz is a great option (and my neck and back agree). If you can swing it, you might consider ordering a couple different bags so you can see them in person-- it made a big difference for me seeing how much the Buzz could hold (and how enormous the Brain Bag is).

Leave a comment:

• misterN
    replied
    Originally posted by backpack View Post
    The Large Cafe Bag is the best bag, ever, I usually make more pockets by using all kind of pouches.
    It is my Elephant/Dog/Cat bag without electronics but sometimes with compact photo/video gear, I choose a lesser image quality for portability.

My Synapse with netbook and/or compact photo/video gear and Field Journal Notebook is my designated sightseeing bag.

It becomes my EDC when it holds, a Clear Quater Cube, a folded Large Shop Bag, an extra top layer windbreaker/cardigan/vest, a Large Clear organizer Pouch which hold paperwork in a plastic folder, a 16 oz Lifefactory bottle, two small milk on the side pockets and the Field Journal Notebook.

I have an additional EDC which is the Small Cafe Bag which holds things that need to be easy to get to and for which I need to keep an eye on at all time.

I love the Large Cafe Bag and Brain Bag pair for domestic (U.S) travel.

The perfect ergonomic was the inspiration for the Elephant/Dog/Cat errands and local things to do pair.

I am sure I got you even more confused, so don't mind my post and look at the great informative pictures of the new owners of the Cadets who are doing their best to be "next order enablers".
    We live to serve.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by Scattered View Post
    Just checking in while eating lunch.

Backpack - Thanks for the links. I'll check tonight to see if there's anything I've missed. I also agree with you on the orientation issue. I had a leather messenger style bag years ago that was vertical, like the cafe bags, but with more organizational pockets and large enough for letter files. I loved it. That's one of the reasons I was considering a Ristretto for iPad for non-laptop days. I considered a cafe bag, but thought it had a lack of pockets for the way I use a bag.

JeffMac - Yes, that's one of my concerns with the Cadet. Although, if I take the laptop, I can probably leave the iPad behind, making some space for the binder. I believe from reading another thread on here that your a recent Cadet owner - how do you think it will be for just carrying an iPad and filesm no laptop? Too big or too floppy?
    The Large Cafe Bag is the best bag, ever, I usually make more pockets by using all kind of pouches.
    It is my Elephant/Dog/Cat bag without electronics but sometimes with compact photo/video gear, I choose a lesser image quality for portability.

My Synapse with netbook and/or compact photo/video gear and Field Journal Notebook is my designated sightseeing bag.

It becomes my EDC when it holds, a Clear Quater Cube, a folded Large Shop Bag, an extra top layer windbreaker/cardigan/vest, a Large Clear organizer Pouch which hold paperwork in a plastic folder, a 16 oz Lifefactory bottle, two small milk on the side pockets and the Field Journal Notebook.

I have an additional EDC which is the Small Cafe Bag which holds things that need to be easy to get to and for which I need to keep an eye on at all time.

I love the Large Cafe Bag and Brain Bag pair for domestic (U.S) travel.

The perfect ergonomic was the inspiration for the Elephant/Dog/Cat errands and local things to do pair.

I am sure I got you even more confused, so don't mind my post and look at the great informative pictures of the new owners of the Cadets who are doing their best to be "next order enablers".
    Last edited by backpack; 11-09-2011, 02:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jeffmac
    replied
    Hey Scattered, misterN has nailed the stuff you asked about in his pictures above.

Also, the Cadet is structured enough that I do not think you will find under packing it to be a problem at all...

Leave a comment:

• misterN
    replied
    Scattered -

I think that a Cadet may work for you. I was looking around my office here trying to find things that were equal/similar in size compared to what you had listed in your description above.

This is a shot of my main compartment today. I have my Macbook Air in it's Cache, my iPad, Kindle, Medium Organizer Pouch and ledger all in this compartment. Based on what you said--my MBA in it's Cache is similar to your main writing pad. My ledger is similar your other writing pad. I also have all of my computer cables and accessories in that medium pouch. I can fit a 1.5" binder into the compartment with my MBA in it's Cache.

My front compartment has quite a bit of stuff in it--but I feel like you'd be able to nicely fit your headphones, pens, pencils, scale, checkbook, wallet, gum and tictacs without much of a problem. I still have more room in that front compartment if I really needed to put anything in there.

I also think you should be able to fit your binder, portfolio and computer into the main compartment if you went without iPad. You should still be able to use your smaller pad and files in the compartment--but I have no real way of testing this.

Leave a comment:

• Scattered
    replied
    Just checking in while eating lunch.

Backpack - Thanks for the links. I'll check tonight to see if there's anything I've missed. I also agree with you on the orientation issue. I had a leather messenger style bag years ago that was vertical, like the cafe bags, but with more organizational pockets and large enough for letter files. I loved it. That's one of the reasons I was considering a Ristretto for iPad for non-laptop days. I considered a cafe bag, but thought it had a lack of pockets for the way I use a bag.

JeffMac - Yes, that's one of my concerns with the Cadet. Although, if I take the laptop, I can probably leave the iPad behind, making some space for the binder. I believe from reading another thread on here that your a recent Cadet owner - how do you think it will be for just carrying an iPad and filesm no laptop? Too big or too floppy?

Leave a comment:

• jeffmac
    replied
    Hey scattered. The Cadet is very capable but it might bite you on those days that you need to bring the computer and the 1.5 inch notebook along with everything else. Obviously, there is not a specific water bottle holder.

If those two are deal breakers I think the ID would be a better choice for you.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    I believe the Imago, the Cadet and the Synapse would be great.

I do not own the yummy Imago, because despite its good looks, it is an east/west or landscape orientation bag. I have been spoiled by my beautiful Cafe Bags.

I did a search on Tom Bihn Blog for the Imago and here is the link, it should guide you to numerous compliments sent directly to Customer Service and reviews posted on blogs or this very forum about the great usefulness and versatility of the Imago.

TOM BIHN Blog - search

The Synapse is my everyday bag and it will work for you when you are not carrying the laptop. It holds a tremendous amount of things.

People have used their Synapse as travel bag for children, personal item for overseas trips and for many, including myself, it is an everyday bag.

I did a search on Tom Bihn Blog for the Synapse and here is the link, it should guide you to numerous videos, blogs, compliments sent directly to Customer Service and reviews posted on this very forum about the great usefulness and versatility of the Synapse.
    TOM BIHN Blog - search

I believe that the Cadet would be great for the times you need to carry your laptop and big binder.

The threads below should give you a tremendous help about what the Cadet is capable of handling.

http://forums.tombihn.com/tom-bihn-n...se-13.html#194

http://forums.tombihn.com/customer-p...-aeronaut.html

The Cadet is so new, people who own both the Cadet and the ID will most probably start to chime in after reading your post.
    Last edited by backpack; 11-09-2011, 12:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Maria
    replied
    I too am looking forward to a Pilot bag in the future. You may soon be able to carry the elephant / dog / cat combo if you get two TB bags by years end. ;0

Leave a comment:

Working...
X