Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,995   Posts: 193,761   Members: 6,894   Active Members: 244
Welcome to our newest member, gojonnie.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update on Solar Dyneema/nylon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by Walker View Post
    @rabergnc, thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I have been looking at the Smart Alec in black/forest/UV for ages. I do not need a bag right away. So I think I will wait for the navy to return, hopefully with a lining other than steel.

I do have the Synapse in black/uv - love it! But I am giving it away. which is why I have been looking at the Smart Alec.
    @Walker, what are we (and your abandoned Tom Bihn bags) to make of this fickleness? We learn, in another one of your posts:
    Originally posted by Walker View Post
    I gave away my Imago steel/wasabi for 2 reasons: 1) the color never grew on me; 2) I packed too much, just because . Even with the Absolute strap, when I carry as much load as OrionLethe's, my body thanks me for busting out the Synapse .
    Well, Okay, Steel/Wasabi is not my favorite combination (but there is the Imago in Navy (Ballistic)/Cork/Wasabi that's still available -- a brilliant combination). So maybe it's too easy for you to pack more than you can comfortably carry with the Imago messenger style bag. But why are you abandoning the Synapse for the even larger Smart Alec backpack? Is it the fact that the exterior of your Synapse is black (instead of being entirely UV dyneema)? What about the new Navy/Iberian Synapse color option (to match your Aeronaut order)?

I will freely admit that I don't love all my Tom Bihn bags equally -- I love my Synapse more than my Smart Alec, and I think that the padded back of the Synapse is superior to the design of the back of the Smart Alec.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-07-2012, 01:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Oh, I've seen it, just not recently; hence, the missed reference. IDK if "anyone" in the academy must watch it; BBT is to "academia" in the way Beverly Hills, 90210 is to "high school."**

**Another totally outdated TV example! I'm awesome, I know.

Leave a comment:

• WhiteStar
    replied
    Anyone involved in the world of academia needs to watch Big Bang Theory at least once.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Originally posted by nukediver View Post
    It's from the TV show The Big Bang Theory - as a science nerd (geek? dork?) with a couple of Masters degrees myself, I totally relate to the show; it's really funny. But you don't have time for that, because you have a dissertation to finish :-)

Also - The Big Bang Theory - Soft Kitty - YouTube
    Ah ha. Thanks for the info. It's good to be in the know.

Yes, a dissertation to finish. I'll remind myself of that the next time I'm watching 8 back-to-back episodes of Star Trek.

Leave a comment:

• Lani
    replied
    Soft kitty T-shirt:

Leave a comment:

• Walker
    replied
    Originally posted by rabergnc View Post
    I have a Forest/Ultraviolet Smart Alec . . . might be worth a look.
    @rabergnc, thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I have been looking at the Smart Alec in black/forest/UV for ages. I do not need a bag right away. So I think I will wait for the navy to return, hopefully with a lining other than steel.

I do have the Synapse in black/uv - love it! But I am giving it away. which is why I have been looking at the Smart Alec.

Leave a comment:

• rabergnc
    replied
    I have a Forest/Ultraviolet Smart Alec. I ordered it with a fair amount of skepticism fully expecting to send it back - it was the only non-steel lining available at the time. I found that I really like it however! might be worth a look.

I too will miss solar but do look forward to seeing what will replace it.

Leave a comment:

• Walker
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    Navy should be coming back soon, barring anything unforeseen...
    Glad to read it! I am not a fan of the navy/steel combination either. So I hope the Smart Alec in navy comes with a brighter lining NOT steel. Too difficult to please?

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Navy should be coming back soon, barring anything unforeseen...

Leave a comment:

• Walker
    replied
    I have been wanting to purchase a Smart Alec myself. But it does not come in navy. Maybe the Smart Alec will come in the navy/new dyneema color this summer?

Leave a comment:

• notmensa
    replied
    Nooooooooooooooo!!! I just went to order the Navy/Solar Ristretto and it's gone. So is the Navy/solar Cadet. And the Navy/Solar Copilot. :-(
    Will there be any more Navy bags?

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by nukediver View Post
    It's from the TV show The Big Bang Theory - as a science nerd (geek? dork?) with a couple of Masters degrees myself, I totally relate to the show; it's really funny. But you don't have time for that, because you have a dissertation to finish :-)

I was typing a reply that linked to the Wikipedia entry for the "Soft Kitty" song sung by Sheldon Cooper and Penny on the TV program Big Bang Theory. I don't watch television, but I have friends who like this show. You could also get your own "Soft Kitty Mug". (I admit to looking up the YouTube clips of Raj Koothrappali interacting with Siri earlier this year. They were pretty funny.)

For ncb4's original reference to "Soft Kitty", follow the link, and scroll up one post to misterN's photo of the sleeping cat in the Your Photos! thread.
    Last edited by moriond; 05-04-2012, 06:48 PM. Reason: Added link to original "soft kitty" picture reference post.

Leave a comment:

• nukediver
    replied
    Originally posted by Badger View Post
    I'm kind of embarrassed to admit I have NO IDEA what the "soft kitty" thing is all about. Does it have to do with television?

Leave a comment:

• Maria
    replied
    Along with Badger, I am clueless about "soft kitty" too. I suspect it is some fabulous cool item / cult like celebrity following with those folks out in Seattle. They are always ahead of the rest of us, even when some of the rest of us don't know how far behind we / I am!

And speaking for myself - even when I think I know what it going on or "ahead" in terms of fashion, culture, music, etc....I'm really just about to be lapped around the track!

Oh I wouldn't mind a blue shade for Dyneema!

Leave a comment:

• stan01
    replied
    I have a black/wasabi Empire Builder and an indigo/solar TriStar.
    I'm hoping whatever the new color is keeps up that fine tradition (although I'm not an orange fan).
    A bright interior makes it so much easier to find things in the bag -- plus its something unique to a Tom Bihn bag.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X