Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,501   Posts: 187,537   Members: 6,460   Active Members: 325
Welcome to our newest member, knelby.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Zephyr (Smaller Empire Builder?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by trevyn View Post
    Will a 17" MacBook Pro fit, loose?
    Probably not, and I would recommend against doing that. The Zephyr doesn't have built-in laptop protection, so you do need to add a Brain Cell laptop case to fully protect your laptop inside of it.

Leave a comment:

• trevyn
    replied
    Will a 17" MacBook Pro fit, loose?

Leave a comment:

• ansatzjp
    replied
    Are we going to see the pictures soon? =)

Leave a comment:

• jpong
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    I'll be very curious to hear what you guys think of it! We should soon be adding some pictures of TB staff modeling the Zephyr.
    Can't wait to see the model shots. I've always felt like everyone (not just TB) should make more model shots available. They give a much better idea about the dimensions of the bag.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mitzu View Post
    I ordered my Zephyr, but I was surprised to see that it was only 0.3" x 0.35" x 0.7" smaller and 1.65 ounces lighter than the Empire Builder with 2/3 the capacity.
    It might not seem like a big difference on paper, but it is. The Empire Builder looks a bit ridiculous on me - like I'm playing dress-up - but the Zephyr is just the right size.

I'll be very curious to hear what you guys think of it! We should soon be adding some pictures of TB staff modeling the Zephyr.

Leave a comment:

• Mitzu
    replied
    I ordered my Zephyr, but I was surprised to see that it was only 0.3" x 0.35" x 0.7" smaller and 1.65 ounces lighter than the Empire Builder with 2/3 the capacity.

Leave a comment:

• Just
    replied
    My order is in! Can't wait! Thanks for all the hard work, Tom Bihn crew!!!

Leave a comment:

• bcfshops
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    The final Zephyr prototypes have been winding their way through the factory over this past week...
    The Zephyr is worth the wait, I promise.
    Tom, thanks for all the work on this. I've ordered one, as I suspect it'll fulfill my needs.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Bihn
    replied
    The final Zephyr prototypes have been winding their way through the factory over this past week. Lisa and Fong, our two lead seamstresses, have been giving me last-minute feed-back on the placement of every buckle, every zipper, every stitch, and they are at last satisfied that the patterns are ready for production. So am I.
    The Zephyr is a sweet bag: all the same features as the Empire Builder, squooze down a notch to a size both more accessible to smaller folks and more useful to those who simply have less stuff to schlepp.
    The Zephyr is worth the wait, I promise.

Leave a comment:

• ansatzjp
    replied
    Wow, this is truly exciting. While searching for a perfect laptop bag, I came across this website. I've been mainly thinking about Waterfield Medium Cargo, but it seems like the Zephyr is a clear winner here.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    The Zephyr is now available for pre-order. And there's a bunch of new pictures and information on that page, including the volume, dimensions, and weight of the Zephyr.

Leave a comment:

• mruseless
    replied
    Now that we have the Zephyr AND the Empire Builder, what kind of briefcase should come next? A really big Empire Builder? Or a different briefcase altogether?
    At the risk of being redundant (I posted another topic on this), I would like to see a business travel bag/briefcase looking thing that is large enough for a 3 day business trip. I guess it would be more of a carry-on with some briefcase styling and features.

Eric

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by bcfshops View Post
    Has Tom settled on the color options, yet? I'm hoping for a black/[black/steel]/olive combo.
    Official Zephyr colors:
    Black/Steel/Olive
    Black/Steel/Crimson
    Black/Steel/Wasabi
    Black/Steel/Steel
    Black/Hunter/Steel
    Black/Crimson/Steel
    Black/Grape/Wasabi
    Black/Black/Steel
    Black/Black/Deep Blue
    Black/Black/Crimson (only five of these were made)

These color choices will be narrowed down quite a bit in the next batch of Zephyr bags that our factory makes.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by swduncan View Post
    I guess it will be an ID for me, as I try to never, ever carry a bag by a handle. It's just uncomfortable. I also want a flap covering the main zip because I do get caught walking in the rain (like today, in Boston) even when I don't mean to. I find that bags that have top zips usually leak like a sieve through the zip, and that means wet stuff.
    You can still use the Zephyr or Empire Builder, even if you don't want to carry them by the handles. There are shoulder strap attachment points on both bags for the Absolute Shoulder Strap.

We use YKK splash-proof zippers on our bags that have exposed zippers, and, thus far, I haven't heard of any problems with rain water leaking through them. This doesn't mean you could throw your bag in a lake, but as an example, our typical Seattle rain shouldn't get inside the bags.

Another difference between a briefcase and a messenger bag (in my mind) is that a briefcase is more likely to be designed to stand up on its own and have some kind of rigid, boxy shape to it. A messenger bag won't stand up on its own bcause it doesn't have that rigid, boxy shape, and therefore is more comfortable to wear when you're riding a bike, or walking long distances, etc. A messenger bag will probably have a removable (or not) waist strap, while a briefcase won't. Messenger bags might have features like exterior water bottle pockets or zipper pulls, while briefcases wouldn't.

Leave a comment:

• bcfshops
    replied
    Colors decided?

I know you didn't mean anything ill towards the ID. What you described as your experience with the ID is probably the same experience most people who want to carry a bag by its handle a lot of the time would have.

The ID and the EB/Zephyr are just different types of bags.

I'm glad you're looking forward to the Zephyr, and I will direct our factory crew to this thread to read your compliments on our quality of construction and materials.

More pictures of the Zephyr soon...I promise!!
    Has Tom settled on the color options, yet? I'm hoping for a black/[black/steel]/olive combo. I've got a blue brain cell from when I ordered the ID, and think it would look nice with the olive.

Just trying to get all things mentally in order.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X