Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,410   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, Arlene31H3.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Go Bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bnett
    replied
    Me, too!

I'm also eager to see this bag go to market!
    Cheers,
    Brian

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Thanks, RedBeard.

Leave a comment:

• RedBeard
    replied
    Bump

Time for my annual Go Bag bump!

To be fair, my wife really wants the camera insert to come out first and I understand that people have limited window of use for the Diaper Bag so that gets priority, but I don't want you to forget about the Go/Gamer bag.

Leave a comment:

• RedBeard
    replied
    Originally posted by Heidi Jill View Post
    Now I am convinced that we have *everything* in Seattle! A Go center??!!!
    Yes we do! The Seattle Go Center is one of four outside of Japan sponsored by the Japanese professional Go organization, The Nihon Ki-in The others are located in New York City, Amsterdam, and San Palo, Brazil. The Go centers were founded by Iwamoto Kaoru as a way to spread the game into the west and further cultural understanding between Japan and the rest of the world.

If anyone is interested in learning more about Go, feel free to PM me. You can also drop by the Go center any time, visitors are always welcome. I'm usually there on Tuesday nights and would be glad to show you around.

Leave a comment:

• Heidi Jill
    replied
    Now I am convinced that we have *everything* in Seattle! A Go center??!!!

Leave a comment:

• RedBeard
    replied
    Originally posted by maverick View Post
    hi folks,

i'm curious whether the game board for go is made out of cloth and can be rolled up or out of cardboard and must be folded up. or are both a possibility?
    That's a good question. A traditional Go board is actually a small wooden table, several centimeters thick, with legs. Like this:

Smaller boards that fit on a table top are also used. These are made from solid wood, 1 to 6cm like this one:

There are also folding/slotted boards of different depths and cloth/vinyl roll-up boards available.

I'm not sure which kind of board Tom and the gang looked at when they visited the Seattle Go Center. I assume it's the table top version.

The tricky part of a Go game bag is the bowls. As you can see in the pictures above, the wooden bowls used to keep the game pieces in have simple lids that do not fasten down. Some kind of external strap is needed to keep the bowls closed while transporting the set. This is the main reason Go players are always looking for special bags to carry their equipment, instead of just using a tote bag of some kind.

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    hi folks,

i'm curious whether the game board for go is made out of cloth and can be rolled up or out of cardboard and must be folded up. or are both a possibility?

and are we talking about a bag that would accommodate a board that rolls up or a board that is folded up?

i ask this as i sit looking at my chess set - i have a vinyl chessboard that i roll up, and it would be very cool to be able to have a tom bihn bag that i could use for carrying it.

thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    It will happen!

Leave a comment:

• RedBeard
    replied
    Annual Bump

Keeping this thread alive with an annual bump
    I know that the fabled Diaper Bag will probably come first, but I'm still holding out for a Tom Bihn Go/game board bag....

Leave a comment:

• RedBeard
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    There is! Tom's Go-Bag prototype is still on his office wall. Maybe Holiday 2008?
    That would be spiffy! If your looking for beta testers, I work 4 blocks away from the factory and am active at the Seattle Go Center. I would be happy to help

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by RedBeard View Post
    I'm bumping this old thread just to see if there is still any interest.
    There is! Tom's Go-Bag prototype is still on his office wall. Maybe Holiday 2008?

Leave a comment:

• RedBeard
    replied
    I'm bumping this old thread just to see if there is still any interest.

My wife and I are going on a two week trip soon and other than a rolling suitcase, the only piece of luggage we are taking that is not a Tom Bihn bag is the backpack we are using to carry our Go set. The shame of it all.

Maybe this project could go into the queue after the diaper bag is finished??

Leave a comment:

• RedBeard
    replied
    The Gamer Bag

I had heard about the possibility of a Tom Bihn bag designed to carry a Go set, so I thought I would check the site and see if there has been any progress. Sadly, it looks like the project has stalled, but I still have hope.

For those people who run across this page and don't know about the game of Go, check out Sensei's Library, a Wiki site dedicated to the game.

In response to the Chess posting above, I would think that a bag designed to hold a Go board and two bowls with 180 Go stones each would also fit a standard Chess set. In addition, Go players use the same timing clocks as Chess players do so the bag should be designed to fit a clock as well as the board and pieces. In fact, a bag sized for carrying Go or Chess equipment would probably have enough room to fit any board game.

Let's hope the Tom Bihn Gamer Bag will see the light of day soon!

Leave a comment:

• timarelay
    replied
    Originally posted by renegadeot
    Was I the only one who saw that post and thought "Sweet, a new cool bag for when your on the go!" then was completely lost after clicking the wikipedia link?
    I had that reaction even though I know what the game is.

I'm not a Go player myself, but I have friends that are really into it and if the bag comes out around March, I know what I'm getting one of them for their birthday. And if not, there's always Christmas.

The idea is a bit esoteric, but I would imagine that a bag that could function as a Go bag could function as a general board game bag. And knowing what a lot of people spend on some of these sets, I'm sure they'd appreciate a nice bag.

Leave a comment:

• dsg29
    replied
    A Go bag? Sounds a little esoteric, no?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X