Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,998   Posts: 193,791   Members: 6,896   Active Members: 241
Welcome to our newest member, Kimiko.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Pilot Available for Pre-order in January 2014!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tangfj
    replied
    Originally posted by Trailhiker View Post
    It has to be the lighting.
    Look at the color value of the black zipper.
    If it were black dyneema it would be almost the same.
    I already replied a few posts above. It's steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Trailhiker
    replied
    Originally posted by tpnl View Post
    tangfj - Is that a Black Dyneema Tri-star/Western Flyer packing cube or a Steel Dyneema one? The top picture looks like a Black Dyneema one.

Pics attached below...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5596[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5595[/ATTACH]

Cheers!
    It has to be the lighting.
    Look at the color value of the black zipper.
    If it were black dyneema it would be almost the same.

Leave a comment:

• TavaPeak
    replied
    I agree! Or perhaps Tom could design a nifty backpack strap doodad that could be used on Pilots, messengers, etc.

Sometimes folks loop their messenger bag straps through a carry handle to improvise backpack straps, but this is not a comfortable solution. (Yes, I tried it on the Pilot - it didn't work for me if the Pilot was packed full.)

Leave a comment:

• fernando
    replied
    I would love integrated backpack straps on the pilot.

Leave a comment:

• tangfj
    replied
    I plan on using the PCSB as my essentials bag while flying. I'll keep my iPad, earphones, backup battery charger, etc. in there. When I get on the plane all I'll have to do is remove the PCSB from my Pilot and put it in the seat pocket and I'll be ready to go. I already do this with my side effect but I will probably do the same thing as mentioned in this thread (http://forums.tombihn.com/bag-review...ocket-bag.html) to attach my PCSB to the seat pocket in front of me for easy access for longer flights.

Leave a comment:

• Mausermama
    replied
    I slipped my iPad into my PCSB right after I saw your posting. Brilliant! I wish I had the new cache with the rails, but it's not in the budget at present. It's nice to be able to slip it in and out of the Pilot. My other case is a velour-ish zip case that functions quite nicely, but it has a lot of "grip," so the PCSB works well to control that factor.

I also have the PCBP for my WF. I will look at utilizing the potential on my next trip, which is coming up in less than a month.

Leave a comment:

• tangfj
    replied
    Originally posted by tpnl View Post
    tangfj - Is that a Black Dyneema Tri-star/Western Flyer packing cube or a Steel Dyneema one? The top picture looks like a Black Dyneema one.

Pics attached below...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5596[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5595[/ATTACH]

Cheers!
    It's steel. The lighting was just weird.

Leave a comment:

• tpnl
    replied

Pics attached below...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0378.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	291580

Name:	IMG_0377.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	291579

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 02-18-2014, 11:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rocks
    replied
    tangfj, you are blowing my mind with these discoveries! Now stop making me want a Pilot! I already have a PCSB and PCBP. I may have to go for the trifecta.

Leave a comment:

• tangfj
    replied
    Originally posted by kkintea View Post
    I'm wondering now how small you could get the TB packing cube backpack, and whether the Pilot would fit in one or both sizes. There are a few comments on Backcountry about the ultra sil straps wearing out and the fact that it is only water resistant.

I put the pilot in the brain bag yesterday and it worked with a lot of room but you would have to start out in backpack mode, as opposed to changing on the fly.

The Pilot will only fit comfortably in the tri-star/western flyer packing cube backpack. I tried in the aeronaut packing cube backpack and the zippers struggled to close. The tri-star/western flyer packing cube backpack can pack up small but not nearly as small as the sea to summit.

Here you can see the tri-star/western flyer packing cube backpack folded and stuffed in to a size 1 stuff sack (next to the pilot).

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	291595

Leave a comment:

• kkintea
    replied
    I'm wondering now how small you could get the TB packing cube backpack, and whether the Pilot would fit in one or both sizes. There are a few comments on Backcountry about the ultra sil straps wearing out and the fact that it is only water resistant.

I put the pilot in the brain bag yesterday and it worked with a lot of room but you would have to start out in backpack mode, as opposed to changing on the fly.

Leave a comment:

• Moose
    replied
    I'll bet a couple of shoulder strap wraps would add to all day comfort.
    Moose

Leave a comment:

• Trailhiker
    replied
    Continued,

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	291591

Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	291592

Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	291593
    There is still just a little room up top,
    After packing in the Pilot.

Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	291594

I find that it is easier to stuff the pack back into itself if u turn it inside itself out where the straps are now within the pack

Sidebar,
    Since the shoulder straps r really thin u need to take care to fatten out the material against your shoulder.
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 02-18-2014, 03:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Trailhiker
    replied
    Pilot into the Sea to Summit Ultra Sil Daypack

From my earlier post, (without pics)
    "For those wishing to have the option go into backpack mode with the new Pilot ( fully loaded )
    The Sea to Summit ultra sil daypack holds it in a vertical fashion perfectly, and bunches up to smaller than the size of a single shot expresso cup. Sometimes if I'm in a sightseeing or in a walking around mode for a whole day it's nice to even out the load."

Sea to Summit - Outdoor, Travel and Backpacking Gear

For comparison illustration I placed the Secret Gift from Tom Bihn to the left of the pack in fold up mode.
    To the right a small can of pasta paste,,,

Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	291586

Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	291587
    Not shown is the little stuff bag attached within.
    The Pilot strap is packed within the Pilot.

Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	291588

Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	291589
    Accessing one of the front side pockets is easy
    by just folding down the front flap

Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	291590
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 02-18-2014, 03:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tangfj
    replied
    I discovered something else tonight about the Pilot (quickly becoming my favorite TB bag...). The back pocket fits the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag perfectly!

Picture below showing ipad air in cache, inside packing cube shoulder bag...

Name:	IMG_0379.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	291584

Picture below with the above tucked inside the back pocket!

Name:	IMG_0380.jpg
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	291585

Guess I won't be looking for that Breve after all! (at least not that hard... )

Leave a comment:

Working...
X