Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,301   Posts: 197,936   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 177
Welcome to our newest member, Zmanlane1.

Messenger Bag Packing Cube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank II
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2009

Messenger Bag Packing Cube

We need a Messenger Bag Packing Cube.

It would be similar to the shoulder bag packing cube--with two clips to attach a shoulder strap--but much larger in size. Closer in size to the backpack packing cubes. It should be large enough to hold a Macbook Air. (In a cache, of course.)

At least one "o" ring, if not more, in each compartment. Dual zippers for on all openings.

While I'm no designer, I don't see why TB can't just take a backpack packing cube, remove the backpack straps and add two clips just like the shoulder bag packing cube. (which, by the way, is just too small for my liking or needs.)

I prefer hands free movement and like messenger bags over backpacks.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.
  • jmoz
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Frank II View Post
    We need a Messenger Bag Packing Cube.

It would be similar to the shoulder bag packing cube--with two clips to attach a shoulder strap--but much larger in size. Closer in size to the backpack packing cubes. It should be large enough to hold a Macbook Air. (In a cache, of course.)

At least one "o" ring, if not more, in each compartment. Dual zippers for on all openings.

While I'm no designer, I don't see why TB can't just take a backpack packing cube, remove the backpack straps and add two clips just like the shoulder bag packing cube. (which, by the way, is just too small for my liking or needs.)

I prefer hands free movement and like messenger bags over backpacks.
    Yes, definitely, this! I posted about this previously as the missing piece of the Tri-Star system for business use.... the response I got was "we'll let Tom know." Maybe that will resonate eventually?

Comment

• Frank II
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2009

It could either be a vertical bag like I described when comparing to the Backpack Packing Cube or a "larger" Shoulder Bag Packing Cube for one more horizontal.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

• jmoz
        Forum Member
        • Oct 2013

It could either be a vertical bag like I described when comparing to the Backpack Packing Cube or a "larger" Shoulder Bag Packing Cube for one more horizontal.
        I would prefer horizontal. The backpacks as a vertical messenger bag would hang down pretty far....

Comment

• MtnMan
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2009

You will find my recent "Yankee Airman" thread in this forum to be thinking along similar lines.
          Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Comment

• jmoz
            Forum Member
            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
            You will find my recent "Yankee Airman" thread in this forum to be thinking along similar lines.
            MtnMan- I like your YA idea (as I mentioned in this thread), but in my mind (I can't speak for Frank II), this is an entirely different product. I envision this as something light and minimalist, like a packing cube shoulder bag or packing cube backpack. In other words, an "accessory" level purchase rather than a bag level. I'd pictured your YA as on the level of the Co-Pilot or Pilot. Did I misunderstand? If so, I'm happy to see either product come to market.

I do love the name Yankee Airman, by the way. Although it seems to me that it might be something a little, dunno, stodgy.

Comment

• Lani
              Forum Member
              • Apr 2009

I've long wished for a "Packing Cube Messenger Bag" that's basically identical to the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag but in the larger dimensions of the Packing Cube Backpack. I often find myself wishing I'd have a very lightweight "briefcase shoulder bag" to carry into meetings and such that holds what the PCBPs hold, but that doesn't use backpack straps. I'd think the size adjustment should be relatively easy for the TB folks, too. Same dimensions as the PCBP but with the features of the PCSB, with the D rings (for the detachable standard strap) on the sides and a zipper along one length.

Comment

• Lani
                Forum Member
                • Apr 2009

Actually, this has been milling around in my brain: The horizontal one could be a bigger version of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, but a vertical one could essentially be like one of those "folding top purses" so you can carry it in full-length or half-length. THAT would require a bit more design work, but it would be the ultimate EDC for me, as I could expand it lengthwise by unfolding it. In handbag parlance those are called "foldover" bags.

Comment

• Lani
                  Forum Member
                  • Apr 2009

Actually, this has been milling around in my brain: The horizontal one could be a bigger version of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, but a vertical one could essentially be like one of those "folding top purses" so you can carry it in full-length or half-length. THAT would require a bit more design work, but it would be the ultimate EDC for me, as I could expand it lengthwise by unfolding it. In handbag parlance those are called "foldover" bags.

Comment

• Le_Pied
                    Forum Member
                    • Aug 2012

Interesting idea, but a lightweight shoulder bag the size of a PCBP strikes me as having two big design challenges. As mentioned above, the vertical orientation would hang quite low (3.5" longer than a 13" Ristretto). Maybe this could be addressed by the foldover concept proposed by Lani. Perhaps more important, though, is the potential for the whole thing be a floppy mess until there is enough stuff filling it. Since it would be unstructured and made of light materials, it would need something inside to give it shape while dangling from your shoulder or hand. Maybe a slightly smaller size, some piping, an interior pocket, and a magic trick with aligning straps could make it a more tidy package.
                    > SIQUID WESTERN FLYER NON CAPIT, DOMI RELINQUENDUM EST.

Western Flyer (ballistic backpack), MCB (parapack/dyneema), Pilot (ballistic), Cache (6Z), Travel Tray, Packing Cube (WF large), Pouches (clear, dyneema, cork, padded, large, small, medium, mini, nano), Pocket Pouch, Absolute Strap (curved), Tri-Power Whistle, a bunch of Key Straps (8" and 16")

Comment

• Frank II
                      Forum Member
                      • Mar 2009

I have a bag similar to what I'm requesting from Tom Bihn. It's the Patagonia Lightweight Courier. It folds up into itself, is floppy until partially filled, and does a nice job.

However, there are some problems. It doesn't fit as snuggly as a packing cube would in a TB bag...and....more importantly, the shoulder strap. Not only is it non-detachable, but, the maximum length is only 38". That means if I want to wear it cross body like a messenger bag, it becomes an under-the-armpit bag. It rides too high.

A TB packable messenger bag, with detachable shoulder strap, would alleviate this problem.

Comment

• weirdguy
                        Forum Member
                        • Jun 2014

@Frank II, I am also very looking forward for a Packing Cube Messenger Bag or Briefcase. I think these two shared some similarity in terms of its Landscape mode.

Currently, I am using Packing Wedge with a hacked Hand Handle, acting as a simple one large-compartment briefcase. I really like the minimalist look - Steel Parapack and Coyote border. Unfortunately, I couldn't fit my Packing Wedge into a Daylight Briefcase, shall I wish to carry more Folders and even, a Larger Organizer Pouch which couldn't fit into Daylight Briefcase.

I really think the Packing Cube is the ideal platform for this, as I really like the Packing Cube Backpack TS/WF version. It is large enough for all type of Organizer Pouch, Packing Wedge, Freudian Slip and Size 1 Vertical Brain Cell. And its zip go all the way to side bottom like Founder's Briefcase. Unlike Founder's Briefcase, it is amazingly inexpensive, versatile with its packability and still have Tom Bihn's iconic O-Rings - also the Dyneema Fabric options.

You may ask why I did not try the Founder's Briefcase which will definitely able to fit Packing Wedge and Large Organizer Pouch. My first reason is the Price Tag. My second reason is I am a non-US TB Fans and shall the Bag doesn't turn out as what I expected, I would have pay for the pricey return. Nevertheless, I will not hesitate to give the Founder's Briefcase a chance but not this year.
                        Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
                        Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
                        Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
                        Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Comment

• Lani
                          Forum Member
                          • Apr 2009

Creeping out from out of the lurker shadows...

Just wanted to say "Me too"!!

Forever and a day, I've wanted to see something like this. Actually all I want is for them to adjust the Packing Cube Backpack so that it retains essentially the same dimensions, but have a detachable shoulder strap JUST like the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. It's really the one thing I really really keep wishing they would make.

For one thing, it will let me wear it cross body OR purse-style when I am wearing a Western Flyer or Tri-star as a backpack. I already do that with the PCSB but I would really like a larger version.

[For people who still remember me, I'm still around; just not as much time these days. Besides lots of work, I'm a marathoner now and am usually out running in my spare time! :-)]

Comment

Working...
                          X