Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,524   Posts: 187,775   Members: 6,485   Active Members: 303
Welcome to our newest member, questah043.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smaller sized body hugging bag

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    @saikyo. I guess what you are looking for is a "sling bag". I love this format.

    The sling bag is basically a single strap backpack to be used cross shoulder.

    I like the style for every day carry... Specially because, it is easy to swing to the front while in a crowded subway, as a safety measure.

    What you can do is use a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag like the Side Effect shown around 5 on this video. The shoulder bag has a volume of 4.5 L, that is three times greater then the Side Effect.

    With more centered webbing lops like Side Effect have, the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag could become as versatile as it´s smaller cousin.

    For the record:

    I would love to have a smaller version of Tom Bihn Buzz sling bag, updated by Tom Bihn´s pragmatic design! :P

    I am always asking for smaller formats because I downsized from notebook to a 8" tablet as my EDC.
    Last edited by eWalker; 04-25-2014, 08:47 AM.
    So much to catch up!

    Comment


      #17
      When I'm not using a TB bag (which is very rare), I carry Waterfield Design's sling. There are a few pockets on the inside, and the bottom is rubberized so you can set it down without fear. It also has a very comfortable strap, even when the bag is stuffed and heavy.
      Eat well, travel often.

      Comment


        #18
        Making a sling bag out of a packing cube backpack

        Originally posted by scribe View Post
        There's also the Quick-Adjust strap for messenger bags, which looks like it might do what you want:

        Q-AM Shoulder Strap - Quick Adjust Messenger Bag Shoulder Strap - TOM BIHN

        and the 1" cafe/ristretto stabiliser strap:

        1" Cafe/Ristretto Messenger Stabilizer - Stabilize your bag when riding your bike - TOM BIHN
        @scribe After looking your links and the design of some sling bags, I saw a possibility... If I take one of the packing cubs backpacks (Aeronaut´s or Western Flyer/Tri-Star) and cut the shoulder straps, sew then up to form a inverted "Y", attach a buckle and use it with Q-AM Shoulder Strap, do think it will work?
        So much to catch up!

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by saikyo View Post
          Not so interested in teh copilot or the cafe bags because they lack the body hugging factor. Don't like stuff swinging around because I'm usually trying to chase down my toddler.

          The Buzz looks fun! Too bad it's not in production anymroe. Wonder why they stopped? It looks a little goofy with the waterbottle holder... but otherwise pretty cool.
          Originally posted by bbcamp View Post
          Saikyo:

          There is a now discontinued Tom Binh bag which might fit your needs: the Imago. You can still find them now and then on E-Bay. There may also be a replacement in the works, but for now, used is the only way you will get one.

          I love mine.
          The original Buzz, designed for the 12" PowerBook, released in 2004, and the first Tom Bihn bag that I bought, is actually what @saikyo wants. I still see it on sale sometimes on eBay, such as this late January 2014 listing of the Buzz in Spruce. I also had the later model of the larger, redesigned Buzz that @tpnl gave links to. In fact, I had exactly the color combination in Sapphire and Steel that was reviewed in the Notebook Reviewhe linked to.
          Originally posted by eWalker View Post
          @saikyo. I guess what you are looking for is a "sling bag". I love this format.

          The sling bag is basically a single strap backpack to be used cross shoulder.

          I like the style for every day carry... Specially because, it is easy to swing to the front while in a crowded subway, as a safety measure.

          What you can do is use a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag like the Side Effect shown around 5 on this video. The shoulder bag has a volume of 4.5 L, that is three times greater then the Side Effect.

          With more centered webbing lops like Side Effect have, the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag could become as versatile as it´s smaller cousin.

          For the record:

          I would love to have a smaller version of Tom Bihn Buzz sling bag, updated by Tom Bihn´s pragmatic design! :P

          I am always asking for smaller formats because I downsized from notebook to a 8" tablet as my EDC.
          @eWalker as mentioned above, the original Buzz, which can still sometimes be found on eBay, was designed for smaller formats, and is actually useful with small tablets. The reason it was discontinued is that the 12" format of the PowerBook disappeared, and there had been a constant clamor for a version that would work for the larger laptops most people were using. The original Buzz was, for a long time, my EDC and also my favorite Tom Bihn Bag. I still have this bag, and it does work with tablets and in the way @saikyo wants. we have seen recent requests in the forum for the original Buzz.

          You can read my comments, and access links to older relevant posts, in the thread Thoughts on the Buzz (my first TB bag). Note that withe redesign of the forum and blog web pages, none of the links to Blog posts that showed images will now work -- they did at the time the post was written in 2012.

          I'll give a few working links to the reviews that the blog images referenced instead:

          Originally posted by nukediver View Post
          When I'm not using a TB bag (which is very rare), I carry Waterfield Design's sling. There are a few pockets on the inside, and the bottom is rubberized so you can set it down without fear. It also has a very comfortable strap, even when the bag is stuffed and heavy.
          @nukediver The sling design of the original Buzz hugs the back in a way that @saikyo wants --it actually hugs the back, but you can still easily get to the front pockets without taking the bag off and you can access the pens, etc. at exactly the right angle.

          This would probably require a re-design to optimally size the bag and its pockets (like the one on the sling strap for a mobile phone) for current products.

          HTH. moriond (I still have my original Buzz in plum, and it's great!)
          Last edited by moriond; 04-25-2014, 07:48 PM.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by eWalker View Post
            @scribe After looking your links and the design of some sling bags, I saw a possibility... If I take one of the packing cubs backpacks (Aeronaut´s or Western Flyer/Tri-Star) and cut the shoulder straps, sew then up to form a inverted "Y", attach a buckle and use it with Q-AM Shoulder Strap, do think it will work?
            After my post, I kept on reading TB forum posts and sling bag´s dimensions on other sites and I think that although is feasible, it will not look good...

            Most of the rectangular shaped sling bags have a width between 8 and 9 inches... Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack is 13.5"... It covers most of the wearer back, so tilting it on a simple sing bag fashion, will make it awkward. To look good the backpack would have to be narrower and that is too much for a DIY project!
            So much to catch up!

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by moriond View Post

              @eWalker as mentioned above, the original Buzz, which can still sometimes be found on eBay, was designed for smaller formats, and is actually useful with small tablets. The reason it was discontinued is that the 12" format of the PowerBook disappeared, and there had been a constant clamor for a version that would work for the larger laptops most people were using. The original Buzz was, for a long time, my EDC and also my favorite Tom Bihn Bag. I still have this bag, and it does work with tablets and in the way @saikyo wants. we have seen recent requests in the forum for the original Buzz.

              You can read my comments, and access links to older relevant posts, in the thread Thoughts on the Buzz (my first TB bag). Note that withe redesign of the forum and blog web pages, none of the links to Blog posts that showed images will now work -- they did at the time the post was written in 2012.

              I'll give a few working links to the reviews that the blog images referenced instead:


              This would probably require a re-design to optimally size the bag and its pockets (like the one on the sling strap for a mobile phone) for current products.

              HTH. moriond (I still have my original Buzz in plum, and it's great!)
              @moriond Thanks for the links... It looks like a really great bag, hope it will re-designed in the future... I loved to see those old posts. Just read the post that gave birth to the Aeronaut! Loved to see the requests and remarks at the time, specially the one to hide the water bottle! Never thought that as flashing sign for "Gringo Tourist". LOL
              Last edited by eWalker; 04-26-2014, 04:54 AM.
              So much to catch up!

              Comment


                #22
                I see there's a Buzz on eBay at the moment - or there was when I last received an email alert.

                (Yes, I am sad enough that I have an eBay alert for "Tom Bihn" )
                Collections:
                Work EDC: SE + S19
                Leisure: SCBs, FJN, Swift, lots of YSSs
                Travel: WF + Pilot or SA, with SE/SCB
                General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
                Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
                Hoping for: A new dyneema colour for YSSs; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

                Comment


                  #23
                  Nothing to ever be sad about

                  I too also have specific eBay searches and alerts for TB products and am proud of my TBAS!

                  Long live TB!

                  Cheers!
                  TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

                  Comment


                    #24
                    I like the porter sling bag.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X