Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,772   Posts: 190,625   Members: 6,655   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, basil.bourque.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comparison Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just
    replied
    I also agree with the Imago recommendation. It will fit all the stuff you listed better than a Medium Cafe (with the Medium Cafe I think you would have bulge). If you are concerned about sloshing, you could always slip a lightweight jacket in there or something =) But as far as hard to pickpocket, it's kinda tough to say. Well, you could always wear it in front of you???

Funny, you wanted a lightweight/thin bag that was also padded/with structure... a bit impossible, no? =P

Leave a comment:

• Skylark
    replied
    Thanks for the words of wisdom. I like the reminder about the waist strap. Heck with all the yummy foods and my secret Rick Steve's money belt, why not add another layer to my thickening waistline!?!

I already figured that I'd leave the side zip pockets empty in potentially crowded pick pocket places. Although I do wonder how/if I could keep a mousetrap set in those pockets. tee-hee.

Thanks - good to "hear" from someone with both the Imago and Med. Cafe.

Leave a comment:

• renegadeot
    replied
    I own both those bags, although my imago is the old model so I can't use the new straps. I'm not quite sure how large those binoculars are either.

If it was me I'd go with the Imago. Since your on a trip, you never know what extra stuff you might pick up on the way, plus it has alot of pockets to store your stuff and it will be easier to find your stuff. The cafe bags are great for quick trips someplace, but if you overstuff it your gonna have to pull everything out just to get something that floated to the bottom.

I think someone here mentioned using an imago as a big purse, maybe somone can give better advice about that.

Concerning pickpocketing, I've never used one of my bags in a crowd, but for the Imago, you can always pull the ipod or whatever you have in those side pockets and stick it in the main compartment for saftey. Plus that new Quick adjust strap looks like you could wear the bag close to your body, making it easier to deal with crowds.

As far as padding, the Imago is thick, but not padded except for the side pockets (and I think those are padded just to keep stuff from getting scratched). It's better than it being on it's own, but no amount of padding will make it 100% safe unless it's in a hard shell.

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    Originally posted by Skylark View Post
    Any chance we could see a spreadsheet / chart showing
    Tom Bihn bag, Dimensions, Weight , Cost all on one screen?
    That's a good idea! We'll be working on it...

Leave a comment:

• Skylark
    replied
    Thanks. I'll play the web browser game.

I'm trying to find a light weight bag for our Scandinavian trip to use as a 'personal item' companion to my Aeronaut carry on.

Doesn't need to carry a laptop but needs to be lightweight and hard to pick pocket.

I'm looking at the Imago and the Med. Cafe. I like the Absolute strap for the Imago and that I can get it in same fabric as my Aeronaut - so that is my current temptation. It might be a bit large so I'm concerned that my stuff will slosh around.

Here's what I want to fit in.

Pentax 8 x 43 binoculars (without the case)
    Bose noise cancelling headphones (without the case)
    and iPod. These fit in a Sea to Summit ultrasil .7 oz dry sack
    Camcorder - I'm looking at the Canon HV-20 due out soon
    paperback, moleskine, med.'s,
    and of course Larabars.

Since I want to pack things in the ultra thin bags, I wonder if the Imago and Cafe have enough structure or are thick enough to offer some surrounding cushion.

I'd appreciate any thoughts since mine are a bit jumbled. smiles to all.

Leave a comment:

• renegadeot
    replied
    There isn't all on one page except for the laptop fit guides, but every bag has stats listed off to the right that show the dimensions. A comparion guide would be really cool though. What I do is compare the bags in different tabs on my web browser, and use the volume info to compare the bags. A feature calculator maybe? You enter in a form what your looking for (fits __ laptop, backpack or messenger, __ volume) and it will show you the bags that meet that critera?

Leave a comment:

• Skylark
    started a topic Comparison Chart

Comparison Chart

Any chance we could see a spreadsheet / chart showing
    Tom Bihn bag, Dimensions, Weight , Cost all on one screen?

My first bag (Aeronaut) is on its way but I feel the 'need for speed' to compare bags for my next purchase(s).

Please accept my apologies and direct me to it if I've missed such a chart and this format already exists online. Thanks
Working...
X