Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,301   Posts: 197,933   Members: 7,253   Active Members: 182
Welcome to our newest member, miritum.

Large Organizer Pouch: What size should it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LWarren
    Forum Member
    • May 2007

Organizer Pouches: Large, etc.

Hi Darcy,
    Know this is an old query, but in case you're still thinking about it...
    I have one of the large organizer pouches. I got it to hold knitting patterns, which are typically printed on 8-1/2x11 or slightly larger paper. I don't carry around a thick stack at any one time, just a dozen pages or so, probably. The current large organizer pouch works for this, but just barely. A smidge bigger, and it would be easier to slide papers in and out without bending or curling or catching edges in the zipper. Perhaps dimensions that would allow for a zipper opening of 11-1/2 to 12 inches? I'd definitely keep the zipper; not much point for me in a pouch I can't securely close. The current iteration is plenty sturdy; I wouldn't add padding or stiffening (and hence, weight).
    In my Large Cafe Bag (my basic day bag) also carry two small pouches: One holds my cellphone charger (hurrah for annoying snake-y cord control!!), and the other does duty as a quick-grab wallet surrogate (driver's license, debit card, paper money); and I have two medium pouches: one holds medicines, lip balm, eyedrops, contact lens case, the other carries what the sign in the grocery store aisle calls "feminie hygeine products" (Again, great for the quick-grab trip to the ladies. Way to much information??).
    All in all, I love the pouches. Very useful. I'm not instantly drawn to the new Style Kit because the zipper doesn't seem to open far enough to avoid the mystery-stuff-languishing-at-the-bottom problem. But you've carried it--has it worked well for you?
    Hope this is helpful in some way.
    Lynne

Comment

• Darcy
      TOM BIHN Crew (we work here)
      • May 2003

Originally posted by LWarren View Post
      Hi Darcy,
      Perhaps dimensions that would allow for a zipper opening of 11-1/2 to 12 inches?
      Thanks, Lynne!

What if we made the Large Organizer Pouch that size, but made it only in the Clear Organizer version? If it should be made bigger to fit papers, files, or patterns, it might be a more useful pouch if it had a clear side to it.

I'm not instantly drawn to the new Style Kit because the zipper doesn't seem to open far enough to avoid the mystery-stuff-languishing-at-the-bottom problem. But you've carried it--has it worked well for you?
      As long as I don't overstuff the Style Kit, I can push the zipper openings back far enough to see inside of the bag well.

We will be coming out with a very cool clear-sided simple toiletries/cables/accessories bag very soon....
      Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

• moriond
        Volunteer Moderator
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
        I'm not instantly drawn to the new Style Kit because the zipper doesn't seem to open far enough to avoid the mystery-stuff-languishing-at-the-bottom problem. But you've carried it--has it worked well for you?
        As long as I don't overstuff the Style Kit, I can push the zipper openings back far enough to see inside of the bag well.
        The features I like about the Style Kit (compared other cool products, like the Convertible Packing Cube) are the shaped form, which works well with small tools and cables, and the rubberized zipper. This is slightly more heavy duty in its material and construction than the packing cubes, and also better sized for my use than the Snake Charmer. But I like the other products for different uses. I'd also like it if there were an easy way to give the darker Style Kit colors (like Grape) a light interior.
        We will be coming out with a very cool clear-sided simple toiletries/cables/accessories bag very soon....
        This looks interesting; I've been trying to decide whether I want a toiletries bag based on the modified packing cube design or a modified style kit.

Oh, and I agree that a clear option for the large organizer pouch made slightly bigger for papers would be useful. (Do any people who use A4 paper want to chime in on the size?)

moriond

Comment

• Zephyrnoid
          Forum Member
          • Feb 2006

I Greedily use all my Organiser pouches in all sizes- frequently all at once, nested etc. Something in the 14"X17" is not unthinkable but should have a 1" boxed perimeter (for a thicker edge) and double zipper. Please don't discontinue current spread-just reduce production for slow seller. Thanks again for everything you guys do for us!

A question for those of you who have a Large Organizer Pouch, or would order one if it had different dimensions: is it ideal as it is at 13.5" x 10.3", or would it be a more useful pouch if the dimensions were changed?

Comment

• backpack
            Forum Member
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zephyrnoid View Post
            I Greedily use all my Organiser pouches in all sizes- frequently all at once, nested etc. Something in the 14"X17" is not unthinkable but should have a 1" boxed perimeter (for a thicker edge) and double zipper. Please don't discontinue current spread-just reduce production for slow seller. Thanks again for everything you guys do for us!
            I second Zephyrnoid post.

Organizer pouches of all sizes are -the- reason for the perfect set up of my Large Cafe bag.

Because I use a both the pouches sizes and colors has an organizing visual clue. I know if I have all my stuff or something is missing.

It makes getting out the door and onto business much much easier.

Adding clear, double zippered, padded and novelty pouches such as the passport holder and the Style is wonderfull but I with Zephyrnoid, please do not discontinue the regular pouches.

Sometimes carrying documents means having them out of sight especially if they contain medical, financial, legal or any kind of information that needs to be kept private.

Comment

• LWarren
              Forum Member
              • May 2007

I definitely like the slightly-larger/one-side-clear organizer pouch idea, Darcy! I could consult a pattern without even having to take it out of the pouch. Very cool.
              But Backpack has an excellent point about carrying confidential papers.
              As a friend of mine once said to a thoroughly stunned server, upon examining an especially tempting dessert menu: "One of each, please!"
              (But I guess you hear that all the time, eh? New bags? Yes! More ideas! Yes! Everything! Yes! I guess we're less of a useful market survey and more of a crazed baggage-lovers' version of James Joyce. Yes!)

Comment

• wildgeese
                Forum Member
                • Jul 2007

I agree it would be for file folders. I would have no zipper, and either an open top or a small fold over. I'd want a way to secure both sides to different size bags, like a lanyard and clip on each side. Probably for me fitting letter sized paper would be good enough, though I realize others might want A4. For dimensions, how about 10.5 x 13 x 0.5? Not sure how I would feel about stiffeners. I'd rather keep it light, and use my own covers if I was worried about bending the files. The purpose would be more to keep the papers together and oriented securely. The pouch would keep corners from bending and that would do for me.

What would that fit inside?

Comment

• Espresso
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2009

What do people (and Tom Bihn) think of a medium/large organizer pouch -- somewhere between the size of the previous and current large organizer pouch? I bring this up because the current size doesn't fit neatly in the Synapse and Imago (need to fold it and it is to long to nicely clip an o-ring without folding).

Comment

• moriond
                    Volunteer Moderator
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Espresso View Post
                    What do people (and Tom Bihn) think of a medium/large organizer pouch -- somewhere between the size of the previous and current large organizer pouch? I bring this up because the current size doesn't fit neatly in the Synapse and Imago (need to fold it and it is to long to nicely clip an o-ring without folding).
                    Hi Espresso,

You might be interested in reading the How do you use your Large Organizer Pouch? thread that I've linked. The current generation of large organizer pouches were redesigned to be a bit larger, to accommodate folders and A4 (210mm x 297mm) paper. I have both the new and older large organizer pouches (though one of the new larger ones is shown in the picture with my Imago in the linked forum thread.)

I do think it would be useful to have a slightly smaller version of these pouches that could be inserted into the Synapse, and that might be more convenient for some Imago users.

moriond

Comment

• backpack
                      Forum Member
                      • Feb 2006

There is something wrong here, the Large Clear Organizer Pouch fits without a problem inside the 13 inches high Large Cafe Bag. It should fit into the 16 inches high Synapse?

Edited to show how puzzled I am by this mathematics mystery, that wouldn't be the first time.
                      Last edited by backpack; 03-11-2010, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• maverick
                        Volunteer *********
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by backpack View Post
                        There is something wrong here, the Large Clear Organizer Pouch fits without a problem inside the 13 inches high Large Cafe Bag. It should fit into the 16 inches high Synapse.
                        hi backpack,

i carry the large clear organizer pouch in my synapse, but the corners (where the zipper and hook for attaching to the o-ring are) bend at the top. but this doesn't impact the contents of the pouch (at least not for me, and i carry letter size paper, folders and more inside. the contents usually make my organizer pouch is an inch thick.
                        -m

Comment

• Espresso
                          Forum Member
                          • Nov 2009

Nice pictures, Moriond! They do fit but not very nicely. I like the idea of clipping the organizer pouch onto the o-rings so they are secure and not having to bend the pouches to close the bags...

Comment

• backpack
                            Forum Member
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by maverick View Post
                            hi backpack,

i carry the large clear organizer pouch in my synapse, but the corners (where the zipper and hook for attaching to the o-ring are) bend at the top. but this doesn't impact the contents of the pouch (at least not for me, and i carry letter size paper, folders and more inside. the contents usually make my organizer pouch is an inch thick.
                            Maverick, you are an endless source of great info and beautiful pictures.

Good to have you back on the forum

Comment

• moriond
                              Volunteer Moderator
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by backpack View Post
                              Maverick, you are an endless source of great info and beautiful pictures.

Good to have you back on the forum
                              Agreed! Another point factoring into use of the current large pouches with these bags is that the Synapse has an ergnomic design that is shaped (rather than rectangular), so there is less room at the top. This makes for different packing strategies. I usually don't use the large organizer pouches in the Synapse, although I do use them in the Imago, where the horizontal opening also allows for easier access. I just use clear plastic folders without the pouch. The other accessory that I use a lot with my Synapse that I don't use as extensively with other bags is the Kit. Now, despite the fact that i have the Kit, in Indigo, Grape, and Kiwi, and that my Synapse is Indigo, I usually carry the Kiwi Kit in the main compartment of my Synapse.

moriond

Comment

• mboytim
                                Forum Member
                                • Mar 2010

As I don't need as much space as a knitter, but do need to carry charts and some supplies, I've been looking at the Cafe bags as a possible storage/organizing/transport solution for my cross-stitch needlework projects. I bought a large organizer pouch to keep my chart/magnet board in, which works well. Unfortunately, that would be too big for the medium Cafe Bag. So it would be nice to have a pouch that would be larger than the medium, but still fit in the medium Cafe Bag.
                                Bags: Crimson/Black Checkpoint Flyer, Indigo Brain Bag, Indigo Synapse, Punch/Wasabi Medium Cafe Bag and Plum Side Effect- along with various organizer pouches.

Comment

Working...
                                X