Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,498   Posts: 187,501   Members: 6,458   Active Members: 330
Welcome to our newest member, scjoyner.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filling TB bags/pouches with the 10 essentials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filling TB bags/pouches with the 10 essentials

@Badger got me thinking about putting together a Ten Essentials kit for my snowshoeing friends as gifts. We are all new to the activity and I'm pretty sure they don't have such a kit. At any rate, I was thinking of putting together such a kit with a DLBP (this might get axed if the essentials get too expensive), SE (to hold the small things) and maybe some organizer pouches (for things like a first aid kit). Do any of you have pictures/suggestions of kits you've put together using your TB stuff? Also open to feedback on preferred products.

Can I be your friend? I like to snowshoe!

Comment

I use a small double organizer pouch- in the front I have various hygiene items (dental floss, wipes of various types) and in the back pocket I have a small first aid kit. This is carried in my small shop bag which goes most places with me.

I have a daily emergencies kit that I keep in a small translucent box in one of the pockets of my Side Effect.

And because I consider a picnic one of life's essentials, particularly when physical activity is happening, I have a personal picnic kit that I keep in a pencil cased sized clear organizer pouch. I have utensils, a swiss army knife, and some condiments (salt, pepper, seasoning mix) in there.
      Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

Comment

I don't have suggestions for TB set ups, but some good products are foursevens for flashlights, petzl for headlamps, maybe a leatherman skeletool for a good lightweight multitool, and of course you can't beat a Vic Swiss Army knife, like the climber II or the soldier if you want a larger knife. Also, snowshoeing or not, I always have an adventure medical kits first aid kit with me.

Comment

Burt's Bees lip balm
          Clif Bar Mojo Dark Chocolate Almond Sea Salt
          Tom Bihn Tri Power Safety Whistle
          Emergency space blanket
          Swedish FireKnife http://http://www.lightmyfire.com/products/products/swedish-fireknife.aspx

Comment

You should be just fine using Side Effects - part of what makes the ten essentials The Ten Essentials useful is when they're compact enough that it's not a big deal to toss them in your regular pack. Some of the ten will have to be provided by the people you're gifting to (extra clothing, food, water), but I think you could fit the following in a SE: small compass, small tube of sunscreen, headlamp, band-aids, couple basic meds (ibu profen, benadryl, and immodium/pepto tablets are the big ones), waterproof matches or lighter, small quantity of duct tape, dental floss (can be used for basic repairs or dental hygiene , large size trash bag (can be used as emergency blanket/rain cover/tarp). If there's a room, a compact knife and/or some energy bars would be good in there too.

For myself, I have these things in three separate packs: 1. Small organizer pouch with band-aids and meds which is part of my EDC, 2. Pencil pouch with floss, small comb, sample size primal pit paste, chapstick, luna cup, and extra hairties, also part of my EDC, 3. ziplock bag (still looking for the right TB pouch for this set) with headlamp, lighter, very compact collapsible 1 liter water bottle + water purification tablets, toilet paper, large trash bag, and small sunscreen (still looking for a good compass and knife to add to this), which I throw into my hiking backpack when I go, along with 1 and 2.

Comment

Ditto on Foursevens for flashlights. I have a few different ones, but this Mini 123 is my absolute favorite. It goes with me everywhere: work, home, beach, family trips, dodgy hotels in Africa. It has a few different levels of light, and many emergency modes. I gave one to my stepfather and he loves it too.

I carry a spare battery, just in case.
              ----
              All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
              Edmund Burke

Comment

Thanks everyone! I've started collecting the essentials and will place an order for TB stuff soon. Very excited to share the TB love!

Comment

I'm very curios. What essentials did you settle on?
                  Moose
                  List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
                    I'm very curios. What essentials did you settle on?
                    Moose
                    I'd like to know also. Any fire-making items included? Altoid tin fire kits? Knives?

Comment

Here's what I have so far...

The red/gray thing is a first aid pouch with meds, bandages and the like. From left to right I have sunscreen, an LED flashlight (I had some spares laying around), a Swiss army knife, duct tape, fire kit and a 6 function whistle (compass, signal mirror, thermometer, magnifier, light).

Still need an emergency blanket at the least. I'll probably also tissues and/or a small washcloth. The side effect is perfect for this. Wish they would make it again in Iberian.

Comment

The side effect is perfect for this. Wish they would make it again in Iberian.
                        I agree that Iberian would be a great color for this purpose. I missed my chance at Iberian and went with Wasabi, which I think is a suitably-visible option. It is, alas, also not available.

I know it's not one of the ten essentials, per se, but cordage is always a good inclusion in survival kits. It helps with shelter construction, first aid (building splints, etc.), and in the worst case of extended survival for catching food.

Comment

Originally posted by autolycus View Post
                          I agree that Iberian would be a great color for this purpose. I missed my chance at Iberian and went with Wasabi, which I think is a suitably-visible option. It is, alas, also not available.

I know it's not one of the ten essentials, per se, but cordage is always a good inclusion in survival kits. It helps with shelter construction, first aid (building splints, etc.), and in the worst case of extended survival for catching food.
                          Orange 550 cord for the above mentioned plus marking a trail if you decide to move and it also lets searchers know you've been in an area. Many uses.

each interior strand of 550 cord can also be used as cordage for some applications... they're strong.

you can DIY a duct tape stash by wrapping some from a large roll onto an old credit card or what I do, wrap ORANGE or other bright colored duct tape onto a piece of plastic tubing purchased of a roll at the hardware store.

batteries don't like the cold.
                          water freezes in bottles and hydration tubes

I have a gaudy neon yellow/pink/orange striped piece of fabric = multi purpose. .. signaling, bandana, sling, water filter, etc.

I like to carry some colored cable ties(redundancy in signaling/marking too) in case the lacing on my snowshoes breaks or whatever.

DIY tinder .... and sound fire-making skills. Practice! Especially with cold fingers. Amazing how stiff they get when exposed to cold.

If one of you wants to carry a temp shelter, you can google-check a bothy.

Redundancy... multiple signaling in case, for instance you cannot blow the whistle coz you broke some ribs. Multiple ways to make fire. ETc.
                          Multi-purpose ... to keep your kit small, light and efficient.
                          Practice.
                          Learn about thermoregulation, hypothermia.... how to control body temp and sweating with various fabrics in different conditions under different circumstances. Interesting!
                          Keep your gear in good condition
                          Think.
                          Choose your excursion companions wisely.

I hike alone so I carry more stuff than most people might. Survival until found though, not supplies for long-term comfort in freezing temps.

I might have some pics around for posting later.

Comment

I was going to add dental floss as cord type thing.

Comment

Is that the Vic Classic? Hard to tell, but if so, I would suggest a larger one, like the Climber II or the Tinker. Something that size (still pretty small and light) will buy you a much better knife for cutting, and real tools like working screwdrivers.

I have a Classic on my keychain, but honestly, it's best feature is having a toothpick handy! The knife on it is barely usable for opening all my Amazon boxes....

Comment

Working...
                              X