Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,576   Posts: 188,295   Members: 6,534   Active Members: 278
Welcome to our newest member, rp2022.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colors available

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Colors available

    I look through older reviews, and I see color combinations that are not currently available for bags... particularly, I've been looking at the brain bag, ego bag, and id bag. (By the way, it's already so hard to decide between those three--I just remind myself that I'm going to be so excited with whatever Bihn bag I end up buying! No way I can pick one over the other; I may end up buying all three of those before not too long!)

    My question is this, How frequently do you change up the available colors? There are some schemes I kind of wish were available.. although I do love the hunter/black/steel ego bag(I'm not too find of the steel actually, but I saw a review with pictures of the hunter and green exterior with the mod italian strap... very sexcellent!)

    #2
    Colors might change with every batch of bags that our factory makes. Or color combinations will stay the same with almost every batch. It depends on which bag it is and the availability of fabrics. For example, our Deep Blue 500 denier Cordura is now being replaced with Sapphire. Black/Black/Deep Blue won't be available in the Empire Builder, but Black/Black/Sapphire will be.

    The trend will be the reduction of color combinations but an increase in variety of colors. In other words, the ID might be available in 4 color combinations at a time, but those colors would change a few times a year.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

    Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Patrick View Post
      ... although I do love the hunter/black/steel ego bag ...
      And now the hunter green ego bag is no longer available :P The hunter green ego was my favorite bag, but I guess I get to consider the ID and brain bag again! Maybe there will be a new combination available within the month before I get around to ordering my new notebook and bag!

      Is there space in the ID and/or Ego bags for a binder/books/etc? How much space? FYI, I'll be using a brain cell, too.

      Comment


        #4
        Darcy-
        While I certainly understand the logic, the inevitable problem will arise when someone who has, say an Empire Builder in a certain combination wants to get their new Imago (or whatever) in that same combo. It may have been available at the time that purchase #1 was made, but is suddenly gone and replaced with another non-matching color when it's time for purchase #2. That could certainly, and in my view understandably, cause some gnashing of otherwise loyal customer teeth. In my case it's not an issue because RED (I don't use the C word anymore around these parts) is always available, and always looks uberspiffy.

        Originally posted by Darcy View Post
        Colors might change with every batch of bags that our factory makes. Or color combinations will stay the same with almost every batch. It depends on which bag it is and the availability of fabrics.

        The trend will be the reduction of color combinations but an increase in variety of colors. In other words, the ID might be available in 4 color combinations at a time, but those colors would change a few times a year.
        It's worth considering that your entire purpose in life could be to serve as a warning to others.

        Comment


          #5
          Get available colors while you can

          Originally posted by dsg29 View Post
          Darcy-
          In my case it's not an issue because RED (I don't use the C word anymore around these parts) is always available, and always looks uberspiffy.
          I hate to disillusion you, but even RED isn't always available. A friend ordered a Lux bag last year, and couldn't get this color; it hasn't been available in RED any time since then (at least 8 or 9 months, I think -- maybe closer to a year).

          Originally posted by Patrick View Post
          And now the hunter green ego bag is no longer available :P The hunter green ego was my favorite bag, but I guess I get to consider the ID and brain bag again!
          [snip]
          Is there space in the ID and/or Ego bags for a binder/books/etc? How much space? FYI, I'll be using a brain cell, too.
          Patrick, you may not be thinking of another bag in a smaller size, but if you really like the hunter green color combination, check out this Imago in hunter, cork, and sage. I think that if there's any bag or color combination that you really like, you'd do well to order it when you can. And if you want a range of color selection in your Brain Cell order soon!

          Yes, there is space in the ID and Ego for binder/books/etc., but the Ego and Brain Bag have a lot more space. The ID bag is a pretty convenient size, and you could fit in a regular binder and a few books along with your brain cell. If you use the really wide binders and a lot of thick books you might choose the Brain Bag.
          Last edited by moriond; 07-15-2007, 08:05 PM.

          Comment


            #6
            Ack! Is nothing sacred?

            Originally posted by moriond View Post
            I hate to disillusion you, but even RED isn't always available. A friend ordered a Lux bag last year, and couldn't get this color; it hasn't been available in RED any time since then (at least 8 or 9 months, I think -- maybe closer to a year).
            It's worth considering that your entire purpose in life could be to serve as a warning to others.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by dsg29 View Post
              Darcy-
              While I certainly understand the logic, the inevitable problem will arise when someone who has, say an Empire Builder in a certain combination wants to get their new Imago (or whatever) in that same combo.
              Or you can think of it as an opportunity to try new color combinations with your next bag.
              Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

              Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by moriond View Post
                Yes, there is space in the ID and Ego for binder/books/etc., but the Ego and Brain Bag have a lot more space. The ID bag is a pretty convenient size, and you could fit in a regular binder and a few books along with your brain cell. If you use the really wide binders and a lot of thick books you might choose the Brain Bag.
                I was actually assuming the ID bag would have more space for binders/books--probably because it looks more briefcase-ish. :P

                Well, is there anyone out there who has owned both the ID and Ego bags and can provide some helpful comments on their differences/experiences using them? Is it mostly style?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Let me hijack my thread once again, for another off-topic post!

                  Ultimately, I plan on buying a 14"-15" notebook to replace my desktop for everything--word processing to gaming to movies, et al. However, this morning I fell in love with the Asus Eee PC 701--a 7" notebook that only weighs 2 lbs and is coming out as soon as even this August! You guys already have it listed in your fit-size database or whatever, and it fits a size 7 brain cell... This presents a problem, because the size 7 does not fit in any of the bags I'm looking at--the Ego, ID, Brain, Zephyr(in order of favorites :P).

                  Neither do you guys sell a soft cell that will hold the Eee, either.

                  Eee dimensions: 8.9 in x 6.5 in x 0.82 in - 1.37 in

                  So, what is the solution here? Do I buy the brain cell I expect I may use for a 14" laptop I get in the future--a size 4? Would that still keep my 7" Eee safe? Or should I buy some other brand sleeve for my Eee, and use that with my Ego bag(just an example, I still cant decide what bag I want!). Or is there some way to rig a size 7 brain cell to fit into an Ego/ID/what have you?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                    This presents a problem, because the size 7 does not fit in any of the bags I'm looking at--the Ego, ID, Brain, Zephyr(in order of favorites :P).
                    Actually, the Size 7 Brain Cell will fit inside of just about every bag we make: it just won't clip in like the other Brain Cells will. I'd definitely recommend the Size 7 for the Eee: it should be a great fit.

                    Does that make things easier?
                    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

                    Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Darcy,

                      Can you tell us when the next batch of new colors might be avaialbe for the Smart Alec, or better yet..what they would be? I'm kicking myself for not ordering a plum Smart Alec last year and have been waiting to see if it makes a return. Which the crimson currently offered is nice, I'm curious if other options would be availalbe soon.

                      Thanks!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by everydave View Post
                        Can you tell us when the next batch of new colors might be avaialbe for the Smart Alec, or better yet..what they would be?
                        Hi everydave!

                        The next available colors for the Smart Alec will be: Black/Crimson/Steel, Black/Black, and Black/Steel.

                        Colors Grape, Hunter, and Kiwi are no longer available.

                        Note that there will be a few changes on the next version of the Smart Alec as well, but I can't tell you what they are quite yet.
                        Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

                        Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                          The next available colors for the Smart Alec will be: Black/Crimson/Steel, Black/Black, and Black/Steel.

                          Note that there will be a few changes on the next version of the Smart Alec as well, but I can't tell you what they are quite yet.
                          Well I can't say that I'm thrilled with the reduction of colors, however you've certinaly whet my appitite for the changes...can you give us a ballpark of when we might expect these changes, or would that be reveling too much?

                          Dave

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by everydave View Post
                            Well I can't say that I'm thrilled with the reduction of colors, however you've certinaly whet my appitite for the changes...can you give us a ballpark of when we might expect these changes, or would that be reveling too much?
                            The reduction of colors comes down to their availability: U.S. made ballistic nylon isn't available in a lot of different colors. We were lucky to have Grape, Kiwi, and Hunter for as long as we did!

                            I'd say October is when you'll see the Smart Alec changes. If you like the minimalist look of the current Smart Alec, I'd suggest ordering one soon. The exterior design of the bag is something that will change, among other things.
                            Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

                            Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                              The reduction of colors comes down to their availability: U.S. made ballistic nylon isn't available in a lot of different colors. We were lucky to have Grape, Kiwi, and Hunter for as long as we did!

                              I'd say October is when you'll see the Smart Alec changes. If you like the minimalist look of the current Smart Alec, I'd suggest ordering one soon. The exterior design of the bag is something that will change, among other things.
                              Ah well, the crimson was always a close second, so that's what I ordered today . Along with a kiwi brain cell. Now I get to be all anxious to see if I should have waited for the new one come October!

                              Thanks for helping me make the decision!

                              Dave

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X