Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,735   Posts: 190,183   Members: 6,595   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, bosticderek.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeronaut 30 vs 45 vs Tri-Star HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pokilani
    replied
    Originally posted by platisc View Post
    I've never been a big fan of dyneema exterior (I wish I was. I do like nordic), but would love to be able to pack it in the back zip of the A30 with the backpack straps out. Still, I imagine rolling up and cramming the cordura DLBP inside the main compartment of the A30 shouldn't be so egregious.
    I didn't think I would like dyneema as an exterior fabric either until I got my DLBP. I only had experience with the 200d dyneema and while I liked it, I worried about for a larger bag. Once I finally got it my hands on the 400d dyneema, I fell head over heels in love with black dyneema. I loved it so much I decided to get a Nordic Swift, which is also a larger bag. I adore Nordic and the Swift became my everyday carry until I brought my DLBP out again this past week. I have to say, I find it more gorgeous than Nordic. To me it looks classy and has a richness I just don't see in Nordic. I now have a black dyneema/UV S19 and dyneema/Iberian SA headed my way.

Leave a comment:

• JLE
    replied
    You seem to be sold on the A30 but in case you needed any more reinforcement, I'll add that when I bought my first TB bag, the TriStar, I wished it had a single compartment configuration, and when I bought my A45 I decided it was too big for me to carry fully loaded, and when I bought my Western Flyer, I wished it was just a bit bigger. The A30 is the Goldilocks of the TB travel bag lineup!

I love my Synapses, but I don't think of them as packable. Go for the DLBP. It's perfect for this.

Leave a comment:

• platisc
    replied
    This all helps a lot!

Good to hear that the Specter set works for you @jeffmac . Most likely going to pick myself up a set or few.

These are great pictures and all really helpful advice guys. I'm pretty sold on an A30, and with regard to the battle of S19 vs DLBP as a packable inside of it, I seem to be siding with the DLBP. I've never been a big fan of dyneema exterior (I wish I was. I do like nordic), but would love to be able to pack it in the back zip of the A30 with the backpack straps out. Still, I imagine rolling up and cramming the cordura DLBP inside the main compartment of the A30 shouldn't be so egregious.

Will spend some additional time debating and drooling over S19 vs DLBP, and Dyneema vs. Cordura DLBP, as an option to pair with an A30 for extended trips, and as a typical light day bag.

Can't believe this is all still in a A30vs45vsTri-Star thread. We've come a long way guys! Couldn't have done it without you.

And @badger, I definitely plan to hold onto trusty old SA until I'm completely sold on this new love affair .

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Originally posted by moriond View Post
    You can also try the Dyneema Daylight Backpack @Badger mentioned. (I find this doesn't go as easily into the A30 Backpack strap zippered pocket as in the A45, both because these are hourglass shaped, and the A30 is a bit tighter, and because it's just easier to fit in both the Western Flyer and Tri-Star back pockets, as I showed/commented in the middle of the long Daylight Backpack Impressions/Photo thread. @Badger may be able to help you out here.
    A DLBP will fit in the panel. I didn't necessarily say it fits elegantly, given that's not what that panel is designed to do. I have a Cordura DLBP and I can totally roll it up and smash it into a spare spot inside the A30, which is what I prefer since I tend to carry the bag with the backpack straps and don't want to be poked by lumpy DLBP components. I don't know if this helps or not, but it has been my experience and I've used the A30 and DLBP combo fairly extensively this summer.

Leave a comment:

• Pokilani
    replied
    You can see that these cubes are stuffed full and once inside the A30, there is still space to pack more stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Pokilani
    replied
    Aeronaut 30 vs 45 vs Tri-Star HELP

I found the DLBP and A30 combo to be superb companions on my trip to London. I folded my dyneema DLBP in half and slipped it in the compartment where the strap go, as has been suggested. It then made a brilliant day bag for me. I've also used the EC compression cubes and they do really help. They don't pack flat-more like a pillow shape, but that allows me to stuff things around them easily. Here are some pictures with one cube of each size in my A30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pokilani; 09-30-2014, 03:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jeffmac
    replied
    Platisc

I have a set of two small and two medium Specter compression bags and I am impressed with them. I like the small ones best because I can crams socks and underthings in them and crank them down pretty nicely.

There is of course a limit to it (physics being what it is) but it does pack things down pretty tightly.

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied

Thanks for all your help everybody. As of now I'm crushing real hard on a Black/Iberian A30, and will probably be putting my beloved Black/Steel SA on eBay (even just typing that was difficult...I'm not sure if I'll be able to go through with it). Will also continue scouring for more photos (pretty much run every piece of A30 picture content dry) , and am still especially intrigued by the thought of putting an S19 inside the A30 (PHOTO REQUEST). I'm trying to convince myself that 2 more hits (in the form of an A30 and S19) could satisfy my deepest of Bihn cravings, for the time being...

EDIT: Would also gladly entertain ideas from any of those in favor of packing a DLBP or other daypack solution inside the A30. I have a feeling feedback from putting an S19 inside an A30 will be negative. I do know the PCBP is taller, but imagine it's much more packable. Any thoughts?
    I don't have time to take/post pictures (pretty much the whole next two days are packed solid), but I can comment that the S19 does fit in the bottom of the main A30 compartment, but it is noticeably flatter with the old 200d Dyneema Synapses (I think @Badger has one of these), even in comparison with the current 400d Dyneema S19s. You can also try the Dyneema Daylight Backpack @Badger mentioned. (I find this doesn't go as easily into the A30 Backpack strap zippered pocket as in the A45, both because these are hourglass shaped, and the A30 is a bit tighter, and because it's just easier to fit in both the Western Flyer and Tri-Star back pockets, as I showed/commented in the middle of the long Daylight Backpack Impressions/Photo thread. @Badger may be able to help you out here.

HTH moriond

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    An empty DLBP will fit in the stowaway strap compartment of the A30. You can also roll it up and tuck it inside the bag, or pack it flat(tish). You can smash an S19 in there but it will seriously take up a ton of space. (I know this because I store my S19 inside my A30 inside my A45.)

A brief word of caution: I would strongly suggest buying your A30, checking it out, and making sure you like it before you sell your SA. If the A30 turns out not to be the prince charming you imagined, you'll be happy to have your old friend waiting patiently for you.

Leave a comment:

• platisc
    replied
    @BagJunkie you're getting me real excited about the A30. I'm wondering if by chance the EC PCs you're using are from their Specter Compression line? You (or anybody else) have any experience with these? The idea sounds great in theory, but I'm envisioning just not being able to zip shut the compression zipper, which would render the whole concept useless.

Thanks for all your help everybody. As of now I'm crushing real hard on a Black/Iberian A30, and will probably be putting my beloved Black/Steel SA on eBay (even just typing that was difficult...I'm not sure if I'll be able to go through with it). Will also continue scouring for more photos (pretty much run every piece of A30 picture content dry) , and am still especially intrigued by the thought of putting an S19 inside the A30 (PHOTO REQUEST). I'm trying to convince myself that 2 more hits (in the form of an A30 and S19) could satisfy my deepest of Bihn cravings, for the time being...

EDIT: Would also gladly entertain ideas from any of those in favor of packing a DLBP or other daypack solution inside the A30. I have a feeling feedback from putting an S19 inside an A30 will be negative. I do know the PCBP is taller, but imagine it's much more packable. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by platisc; 09-30-2014, 12:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BagJunkie
    replied
    @moriond as always, thanks for the links. And @adampaul thanks for that awesome review. Seeing everything laid out, and that beefy One-Bag packing list was drool worthy. In the end, while I may be able to get all of this into my SA, the load/unloading process would be drastically different, in favor of course to the A30.

I dig all that aubergine, and am pleased to see how big the SA still looks even in comparison to the A45. I've been starting to realize that it can feel a bit hungry as a traditional daypack and not the best option for a weekend/travel bag, so I might be better off with a new piece. I really seem to be honing in on a new aeronaut, but now have a question concerning its backpack straps. How is the overall backpack carry experience of the A30? I imagine I'll be using the straps a lot, and am aware that there is no Dri-Lex Aero-Spacer mesh panel. Given thought, this doesn't really seem to be a big concern, but I'll probably just have to order and find out.

Backpack straps are comfortable and functional. Fits my 5'9" frame like a glove when packed to capacity. As mentioned in my previous post, I was able to pack in a large Eagle Creek cube: 2 pairs of jeans, 1 pair of khakis, 2 pair of work out shorts and 5 short sleeve polo shirts. In the large TB packing cube: 5 tshirts, 5 pairs of boxers, a patagonia pullover and an iPad Air in a case. I forgot to mention that I unzipped one side of the main compartment to accommodate the large EC packing cube. Also in the Abyss of the main compartment, I have Victorinox toiletry bag, and a down vest in a stuff sack. In the zippered mesh pocket is where I store the travel bin. On the left side zippered compartment (Where I unzipped the divider) I have a small TB end pocket with 5 paris of socks, a watch case, one belt and a small first aid/sewing kit. On the right side zippered compartment, I have a large TB end pocket for a pair of shoes. All of this on my back feels like nothing and puts my previous A45 and RedOxx Skytrain to shame. You CANNOT go wrong with the ergonomics of the back pack straps on any of the the TB bags. I do also have the Absolute TB strap, and that too, gives me the option to sling it over my shoulder comfortably if I'm also traveling with my trusty S25.

I think if you ended up doing the "marsupial" with the S19, you could get away with it if you packed it first, and flat on the bottom of the A30 or on the very top of your packing cubes. Again, it's pretty amazing what you can fit in the A30. Best travel bag for frequent flyers on the market. Bar none.

Leave a comment:

• AVService
    replied
    First off I am talking about the same zippered partial pocket divider that you are,but I already know that my shoes will not fit in it when divided that way.
    Your mileage may vary there?

I will normally wear 1 pair of shoes and pack a pair of Keens and thats all.
    If needed I have brought more but I am not a light packer by any means ever so I just don't worry about it anymore and bring bigger and/or more bags depending on the situation and mode of travel.

I will add to the TS a Synapse or Brain Bag depending on the need and often I will have a Super Ego too as my computer bag and almost always travel with a Mac and PC laptop and a few iPads at a minimum so I need the bag space pretty badly.

If I go for a week or so I am good with the TS as a main bag and I have crammed 8 Polo shirts and sets of socks and underwear in there too along with the Keens and a spare pair of Jeans,Carhartt usually and they are thick.

I also routinely carry other bags not Bihn(Gasp!). I have a Patagonia that is a bigger aeronaut pretty much and I also use a Burton Board Bag which is a large rolling bag but is soft and perfect for me for lengthy trips.
    I also still will carry a garment bag,a Boyt Walk In Closet if the spirit hits me as it requires zero folding!

Also worth mentioning that a Synapse is an ideal Bike bag too.

I do have a couple of Eagle Creek Shoe Bags and they are great but a little bulky.

I should also tell you that I have 3 Brain Bags so I might not be an ideal role model for Tom Bihn reason or moderation?

Just Sayin.

Hey @AVService, thanks for the reply, and glad to hear that you and your TriStar have a healthy relationship.

Two clarifications, although your suggestion is more than valid, and one that I am still considering (sticking with the SA):
    • I prefer a dedicated backpack when I cycle as well, but do have a smaller bicycle-specific bag that accompanies me on most rides. What I meant when alluding to the bag performing for bicycle duty, is the occasional trip where I need to haul some larger gear (shipping packages immediately comes to mind). In other words, this bag that I'm hunting doesn't have to be super perfect for bicycle trips, as it will not be my go-to bike bag. (If you're curious, I ride with an Axial Mini Messenger from Modern Industry. It is small and unobtrusive, but still fits my mac air, phone, keys, some snacks and a water).

• Also, the zipped pocket I meant is just one of the side main compartments. In it, there is a zip-up fabric divider, which is shown (in TB's product page video) to nicely house a pair of shoes. This could of course all be conjecture, because I don't own the bag so I'm not that familiar with it.

Do you take your tri-star on lengthy trips? How many shoe pairs if so? And for you or anyone else, shoe bag/stuff sack recommendations for US 11?

The main reason I feel for possibly abandoning the SA is my newfound preference for lay-flat packing.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

--Chris
    Last edited by AVService; 09-30-2014, 03:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jeffmac
    replied
    I think what's really happening here is that as my first full year since discovering Tom Bihn comes to a close, I've finally begun to realize that every bag they make is the one bag that I need.
    This meeting of Bihnaholics Anonymous will now come to order...

Platisc, my new close and yet unmet friend, you have just come to terms with the biggest challenge implicit in Tom Bihn bags. They play to your perfectionism. Once you use a (insert random Bihn bag here) to go some where in a "Just So" sort of way...you are hooked.

Tom's attention to detail and thought process means that you will always find your self choosing the bag in your ever shrinking Bihn closet that suits what you are doing just that moment.

I really need a library card for the Tom Bihn store so I could borrow whatever I needed for what ever form of travel I am embarking upon at that moment. Except that wouldn't work because (to quote Golem) they are "MY PRECIOUS! DO NOT TOUCH MY PRECIOUS!"

...and now...I have said too much.

Leave a comment:

• platisc
    replied
    @moriond as always, thanks for the links. And @adampaul thanks for that awesome review. Seeing everything laid out, and that beefy One-Bag packing list was drool worthy. In the end, while I may be able to get all of this into my SA, the load/unloading process would be drastically different, in favor of course to the A30.

I dig all that aubergine, and am pleased to see how big the SA still looks even in comparison to the A45. I've been starting to realize that it can feel a bit hungry as a traditional daypack and not the best option for a weekend/travel bag, so I might be better off with a new piece. I really seem to be honing in on a new aeronaut, but now have a question concerning its backpack straps. How is the overall backpack carry experience of the A30? I imagine I'll be using the straps a lot, and am aware that there is no Dri-Lex Aero-Spacer mesh panel. Given thought, this doesn't really seem to be a big concern, but I'll probably just have to order and find out.

Leave a comment:

• platisc
    replied
    @BagJunkie I like the positive words on sizing between A30 and A45. Accommodating sounds like the word one really needs when dealing with carry capacity. Overstuffing is a big fear.

Originally posted by BagJunkie View Post
    The A30 and my Synapse 25 are my dynamic duo for traveling.
    That seems like a pretty agreeable duo. I've been leaning toward the A30 heavily, and would be lying if I said I didn't frequently fantasize about adding an S19 into the mix. I'm too stubborn to hold two bags while traveling, and have thought about going marsupial with the S19 inside the A30, which I believe can be done but would probably render most of the A30's interior useless.

I think what's really happening here is that as my first full year since discovering Tom Bihn comes to a close, I've finally begun to realize that every bag they make is the one bag that I need.
    Last edited by platisc; 09-29-2014, 01:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X