Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,276   Posts: 197,764   Members: 7,230   Active Members: 173
Welcome to our newest member, FrodoBaggin.

If the Brain Cell came in only two colors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darcy
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here)
    • May 2003

If the Brain Cell came in only two colors...

Which colors would you choose?

We are probably going to narrow down the Brain Cell color choices to two...
    Black
    26.83%
    Steel
    12.20%
    Crimson
    24.39%
    Sapphire
    12.20%
    Olive
    13.41%
    Wasabi
    10.98%
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.
  • grumpy3b
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2007

Easily I can say Olive is my fav color. Mine is Olive...love it and the color is nice since it's not JABB...just another black bag...

I can say if there was no Olive option and only black and another color, I would have selected the other color. No JABB's around here...ever. If I had one I think I would have to take up ritual sacrifice and offer the bag unto the laptop bag gawds in the form of a burnt offering.

Comment

• MikeL
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2007

I liked the option to color code my Brain Cell to the inside of my Super Ego. I choose Wasabi, and Crimson since they were the colors I was thinking of for my SE. I also like Olive and Black. But alas, I could only vote once.
      Using a: Super Ego (Black, Steel, Wasabi) with seat belt strip (Wasabi), and alternate reflective Strip. Black BrainCell, Wasabi Snake Charmer, Cork Small Organizer Pouch, and Olive green medium organizer pouch.

Comment

• leon
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2007

They already have an answer in terms of brain cells sold/color breakdown, with one confounding variable.

The more colors available, the more likely it will be for voters (and buyers) to have non-black favorites. In purchases, black is misrepresented because it might be the most common 2nd place option (but so many colors, more likely one of those to be chosen). And despite the multiple choice format here, this poll imo will still not account for it because voters already concede black as a default 2nd (even from the "JABB" hater: "if it were black and another color, I'd choose the other color"). There will be a tendency for voters to get their two favorite non-blacks in, regardless of where black ranks for them imo.

If it's only two options, one almost has to be a neutral color. Black or Steel. Losing more prospective buyers' 1st choices is better than not having a workable 2nd choice. I would think what sets the brain cell apart from the competition is NOT the fact that it's offered in wasabi. Because even in black, it's surely not "JABB" lol.

Comment

• Just
          Volunteer *********
          • Mar 2006

Ooo, I just took another look at the Brain Bag page and that navy looks really good - better than my sapphire IMO! Pity we can't trade old colors in for new ones

Comment

• moriond
            Volunteer Moderator
            • Jul 2004

Consider steel

This is tough because of the number of bags that use the Brain Cell inside. And I think having lighter color options (i.e., not black) works a lot better for these bags for the same reason that having contrasting color in the interiors does -- it's much easier to find things in the bag. For conservative bags like the Empire Builder and the Zephyr, that only leaves steel as the neutral color that goes with the full range of color offerings.

I think these color choices are also slightly tweaked by the color options for those bags that are not meant to be laptop bags, but which have proved hugely popular -- like the Aeronaut. Bet you saw a surge in other crimson purchases to go with that, since the crimson is one of the most effective ballistic nylon colors. (Just as I think there's a surge of some votes for sapphire since you introduced the new Buzz in this color.)

Anyway, the point is that if you're cutting down the color options for the brain cell, you might want to look at this issue from the point of view of what colors work among the largest group of products with restricted color offerings. These are going to be the bags that use ballistic nylon on the outside (Aeronaut, Smart Alec, Empire Builder). I think that steel probably should be one of the offered colors because of this.

P.S. This is a bit weird, since I don't use an Empire Builder any more, but it drove this answer. I'm also answering the question of what two colors would I choose for the brain cell if I were trying to make the best decision for Tom Bihn's full product line, rather than answering what two colors I, personally, would like to have available. (I may shop for other brain cells while I can still choose other colors.)

Comment

• maverick
              Volunteer *********
              • Mar 2004

Hi Darcy,

Wow - that's a tough one. I would say look and see what have been your top sellers historically - what have people bought most?

My personal choices would be crimson and wasabi, but I really like the sapphire also.

Are you also thinking about minimizing the color choices of other products also?

Maverick
              -m

Comment

• Darcy
                • May 2003

Originally posted by maverick View Post
                Are you also thinking about minimizing the color choices of other products also?
                Yes, but not quite as much. Bags like the ID will be available in four or five colors maximum. The drive is for less color combinations to be available at any given time, but changing colors more often. Maybe a Black/Steel/Orange ID one batch and Black/Steel/Crimson the next.

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

• Alicia
                  Forum Member
                  • Jan 2007

Ok, I think I need to change my vote. I voted for Black and Crimson because those would be my two favorite colors out of the bunch, but I have to say I didn't really put much thought into it; it was just instinct. I think maybe I should change the choices to steel and Crimson (I love the Sapphire, though)
                  Proud owner of; Ego (first run) in Black/Steel/Deep Blue; medium organizer pouches in cayenne and crimson; small organizer pouches in olive, pink and storm blue; mini organizer pouch in sapphire; quarter packing cube; ego strips in crimson, plum, blue glitter and sapphire.

Comment

• maverick
                    Volunteer *********
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                    Yes, but not quite as much. Bags like the ID will be available in four or five colors maximum. The drive is for less color combinations to be available at any given time, but changing colors more often. Maybe a Black/Steel/Orange ID one batch and Black/Steel/Crimson the next.
                    That's an interesting idea. That way, you work through a given batch of colors in a shorter time. And, it hopefully allows you to provide a greater variety of colors over a longer time period.

Would it be possible to indicate what colors are around the corner for those waiting for a given color combination?
                    -m

Comment

• leon
                      Forum Member
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                      crimson is one of the most effective ballistic nylon colors.
                      Would you please expand on this for me? Something I might not be considering, effectiveness varying by color.

Comment

• Just
                        Volunteer *********
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                        Anyway, the point is that if you're cutting down the color options for the brain cell, you might want to look at this issue from the point of view of what colors work among the largest group of products with restricted color offerings. These are going to be the bags that use ballistic nylon on the outside (Aeronaut, Smart Alec, Empire Builder). I think that steel probably should be one of the offered colors because of this.
                        Hold on though - the Brain Bag is in Cordura, and I think there should be some difference between sales of a certain color in Cordura vs. sales of the same color in Ballistic. The colors do look different in the different fabrics, after all.

Comment

• dsg29
                          Forum Member
                          • Mar 2005

It's RED. It's not Crimson. RED RED RED. Scarlet, if you like, but it's very much not crimson. And whatever you want to call it, it's my favorite Tom Bihn Color. Oh, the olive's good, too.
                          It's worth considering that your entire purpose in life could be to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

• Darcy
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by maverick View Post
                            Would it be possible to indicate what colors are around the corner for those waiting for a given color combination?
                            Probably not, and we wouldn't recommend waiting for a particular color combination unless it has been officially made available for pre-order or it's one of the color combinations we always offer (such as Black/Black/Steel) and is temporarily out of stock. But that makes it more of an adventure, right?

Comment

• maverick
                              Volunteer *********
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                              Probably not, and we wouldn't recommend waiting for a particular color combination unless it has been officially made available for pre-order or it's one of the color combinations we always offer (such as Black/Black/Steel) and is temporarily out of stock. But that makes it more of an adventure, right?
                              I'm looking forward to the adventure!
                              -m

Comment

Working...
                              X