Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,686   Members: 6,662   Active Members: 270
Welcome to our newest member, lesleypelka.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I feel like I'm on that old game show "Let's make a deal"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like I'm on that old game show "Let's make a deal"

Do I keep the item in the box I just received or do I return it and wait for one of these "new designs" that Darcy hinted are coming soon that are behind door #2?

I just received a Pilot, and like all Tom Bihn acquisitions I've made so far, is smaller than I expected (but they always hold more than I think they will). Its nice, and will at least hold an extra pair of shoes and clothes for a weekend which I couldn't get the Night Flight to do. It looks functional, but I'm not in love with it the way I was with the Night Flight. Now THAT was cute, adorable and something I would be really proud to have hanging off my arm. Luggage candy in other words. The Pilot is kind of a dowdy nerd, you know it will be there for the long haul, be reliable and useful. A practical choice that your mother would love, but not something that gets my heart beating faster.

Am I just a dreamer for thinking I can find soul mate luggage?
    Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is my Black Halcyon Zeitgeist with a Cobalt Cerylon 3DOC as my "purse"/

I played with the CP at the store, it is a really really really reeeeeeeeeeeealllllllly cute bag.

I twirled when I was wearing it, and felt like I was ready for a fashion shoot... but, I could not see the cute CP replacing my "bags that fit me so well, I swear Tom designed them, just for me, LCB and SCB."

I have limited space and a budget for my TB bags and hobbies so everything needs to be used.

If I had to be going to lots of gatherings in a car, such as lectures, book signing, fund raising parties, I could afford the minimalist and stylish style of the CP.

But, I take public transport and my EDC is the S19/SCB pair.

It is lightweight, can hold letter size documents and is very comfortable.

If I want to look smarter, at a dinner or more dress up gathering, I can place my SCB inside the Swift, move the FJN and a LOP there as well and look sharp very quickly, be able to take handouts and take notes to learn things at that meeting.

All I am missing is a TB Trench Coat!

Comment

Originally posted by sturbridge View Post
      Do I keep the item in the box I just received or do I return it and wait for one of these "new designs" that Darcy hinted are coming soon that are behind door #2?

Am I just a dreamer for thinking I can find soul mate luggage?
      @sturbridge, I sympathize with your dilemma, but I think that any new offerings that may appear will be genuinely "new" in function -- they won't be versions of the current bags that are closer to your idealized soul mate luggage, but that replace the functionality of current bags. Each new offering that has appeared generally has a "new niche". (I like your term "luggage candy", though.)

You can always hold out for another couple of weeks before making your decision. Anything new will have to come out in time for the pre-Christmas rush.

HTH moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
        @sturbridge, I sympathize with your dilemma, but I think that any new offerings that may appear will be genuinely "new" in function -- they won't be versions of the current bags that are closer to your idealized soul mate luggage, but that replace the functionality of current bags. Each new offering that has appeared generally has a "new niche". (I like your term "luggage candy", though.)

HTH moriond
        @moriond, Do you have an inside track? You are speaking so authoritatively on this....
        The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Comment

Think long and hard, you don't want your returned a Pilot to be the bag that got away. That being said, if it doesn't make your heart sing, and you don't feel a use for it, don't feel compelled to just keep it. The designs, fabric choices and combinations seems to be almost constantly changing. One day, there will be something new that strikes your fancy.
          I really, really like TB Bags!

Comment

Originally posted by monkeylady View Post
            @moriond, Do you have an inside track? You are speaking so authoritatively on this....
            This is the general pattern we've seen in other years. Usually, when a new product gets introduced, it fulfills a "new niche". There may be some variants, where some functions can overlap, but every TB bag seems to be designed with the aim of meeting some need that hasn't been well filled before, or doing a better job of fulfilling that need.

The usual problem that I have when I place orders near the end of the year, is determining what things I want to prioritize when a new product announcement suddenly comes up. A lot of the decision-making ends up being about whether there's suddenly a color that I really want, and am willing to re-order what I most want to get (since one can't buy everything!).

moriond

Comment

Moriond- I hope you're right. What I really want doesn't exist yet. I like the duffle style versus the briefcase style, but I'm not a backpack person. So while I like the Aeronaut styling, I would never use the backpack straps. I don't want to pay extra for functionality I wouldn't personally use. What I'd love would be a satchel, or zippered tote or something similar that was really flexible inside but would be carried over the shoulder or cross body.
              Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is my Black Halcyon Zeitgeist with a Cobalt Cerylon 3DOC as my "purse"/

Comment

Originally posted by sturbridge View Post
                Moriond- I hope you're right. What I really want doesn't exist yet. I like the duffle style versus the briefcase style, but I'm not a backpack person. So while I like the Aeronaut styling, I would never use the backpack straps. I don't want to pay extra for functionality I wouldn't personally use. What I'd love would be a satchel, or zippered tote or something similar that was really flexible inside but would be carried over the shoulder or cross body.
                5,000,000 likes!
                The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Comment

Sturbridge, if "reliable and useful" doesn't do it for you, send it back. Have you checked out the duffels at Skookum Dog? Like the Aeronaut without the backpack straps.

Comment

Working...
                  X