Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,199   Members: 6,711   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, Rangerjo.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QUICK SPROUT HACK TO MAKE STRAPS FIT ADULTS (NO CUTTING/SEWING)

I saw the sprout was being retired and bit the bullet and bought one last week hoping I could make it work for me. I posed a question on how to hack my sprout to make it fit an adult whilst I was waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I got a lot of helpful information about the sprout but not a strap hack. When I received my sprout today I managed to hack it myself with a little help from spare parts off my S19. Here's the post and pictures

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post157508

In full here:
    // edited because I thought the pictures would show. Here is the finished sprout, with one long/one original, then both long straps. All the pictures show if you click the link above.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9654.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	303657 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9664.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	303656

Well, Moriond (wow, so much detail, super awesome helpful!), Meglet, and Sturbridge, you rock my world! I just got my Sprout, like an hour ago, so I've tried it on, and yes that extra height means I can wear it with the regular straps and it fits fine, but as it's been noted, whilst I can get it on, if I were to wear more than a hoodie thickness it is hard to get on and off easily.

So ... this is what I just did and I'm pretty proud of it.

I have an S19 but I don't use either the sternum strap or waist strap with it. It's my work EDC and I have plenty of support without them. Well, it turns out that the waist strap is exactly the same size and type of webbing as the lower part of the shoulder straps on the *new* sprout. So, I took apart the waist strap which has a clip thing in the middle and two gatekeeper (I think that's the name) thingies on the end to attach to the S19.

One side done, the other not done yet - original strap to the right, extended strap to the left
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]20080[/ATTACH]

So the method: I just unthreaded the top part (closest to shoulder) of the original strap and replaced it with the part of the waist strap that was attached to the clip thing in the middle (so it had the backstitching and looked exactly like the end of the strap I removed. Both top connections are now identical so they tighten and loosen as the original sprout straps do.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]20081[/ATTACH]

Then the bottom part of the waist strap had a gatekeeper on it. The webbing from the original sprout (attached at the bottom) already had the stitched back turnover part on it so it wouldn't slide out from the shoulder strap attachment, so I just popped this through the gatekeeper and the stitched-back part keeps it in place. Here's how it looks from the front, back, and loosened so you can see the double back stitched part.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]20082[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]20083[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]20084[/ATTACH]

Then the final big-girl sprout with two long adjustable straps, and the bonus that you can tuck any excess long strap into the gatekeeper to keep it neat and out of the way when you wear it (I tucked in the right side so you can see). Second picture shows how nicely they lay flat, and the third is a side view so you can see the stitched-back pieces working as a self-lock to stop it sliding out.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]20085[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]20086[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]20087[/ATTACH]

It took WAAAAAAAAY longer to write this post than actually hack the bag. Hope you like my hack, and thank you so much for all your help, I'm SUPER happy with my new DisneyWorld daybag
    Last edited by PinkBrit; 03-06-2018, 10:07 AM. Reason: Pictures didn't show :(

Comment

Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses

Ballistic Sidekick + halcyon Side(car) Effect = EDC brilliance or Rube Goldberg folly? I hope it’s the former

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by blancf; 04-03-2018, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blancf View Post
        Ballistic Sidekick + halcyon Side(car) Effect = EDC brilliance or Rube Goldberg foolishness? I hope it’s the former
        Looks good to me!
        I've done the same basic thing with a Cubelet to a Travel Cubelet.
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Backpack-ify my doggienaut

My medium road duffel is duffel perfection. Except I can't add backpack straps. Or can't I?

Name:	20180501_203616.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	303932

The particular straps were designed for a waist pack and would take too much hacking to make them work well. But it wouldn't take much to hack ones designed for a backpack.

Photo uploader is being grumpy so I'll add photos of the attachment tomorrow.

5/2: Photo uploader still won't cooperate. I'll try uploading to another post.
          Last edited by twosandalz; 05-02-2018, 07:00 PM. Reason: Photo issues

Comment

Replying to myself since photo uploader is uncooperative.

I have some TB spare parts I bought a while back. I like the single gatekeeper and rail clips best.

Name:	DSCN3868.JPG
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	303937

Name:	DSCN3869.JPG
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	303936
            Last edited by twosandalz; 05-02-2018, 07:08 PM. Reason: More photo uploader shenanigans

Comment

One of my MB drink holders is being used for my epi-pen pouch. There is an O-ring just above it that is perfectly positioned so that I can clip my pen pouch to it. It's quick and easy to find and CANNOT fall out (many years ago, my pens fell out of a purse, in the parking lot of my daughter's elementary school - no harm came of it, because a couple of boys found it and turned it in, but an adult dose of epinephrine could kill a child if they were horsing around with it). I posted a pic of of my pouch clipped into a drink holder in another thread (nothing exciting though).

And once the YSS are back in stock, and I have one, I'm planning to add a second triangle clip to a medium yarn stuff sack, 180 degrees around the opening from the existing one, so that it'll function as a TAAT knitting bag (For the non-knitters, TAAT= two-at-a-time, and you work with two balls of yarn at the same time)
              Last edited by CathyWeeks; 05-30-2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

wonder if someone beat me to this already?

my hard-plastic poop bag dispenser has cracked about 4 times (because it gets dropped on the sidewalk and my tile entryway), and is past the point of tape or even Sugru fixing it

I decided to hack a dispenser from on of my mini Q-Kits instead:

Name:	Q-kit for poop bags.jpg
Size:	772.0 KB
ID:	304025
                "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Comment

Originally posted by kathryn View Post
                  wonder if someone beat me to this already?

my hard-plastic poop bag dispenser has cracked about 4 times (because it gets dropped on the sidewalk and my tile entryway), and is past the point of tape or even Sugru fixing it

I decided to hack a dispenser from on of my mini Q-Kits instead:
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]20628[/ATTACH]
                  If our poop bag dispenser ever breaks, I'll be showing this thread to my wife to justify buying a mini Q-kit for this purpose and also some more unrelated bags of course.

Comment

Hacking a YSS for 2 balls of yarn (adding a second yarn guide)

This hacks turns a YSS into a project bag where you may more easily use two balls of yarn at the same time (either two-at-a-time knitting, or colorwork with a main color and a contrast color).

Total cost: Less than $5
                    Materials needed: The triangle buckles (smaller size) sold in the parts section of the TB store. I think they cost $1 for 2 of them. You'll need to find webbing that will fit through the webbing slot in the buckle.
                    Tools: Sewing machine, and black heavy-duty thread. Trust me and get the heavy-duty stuff - this project shredded my regular thread very quickly. Alternatively, you could do it by hand, but you'd need a heavy-duty needle, a thimble and needle-nosed pliers to pull the needle through.
                    Time: Less than 15 minutes.

1.Open the YSS, and find the vertical seam opposite the existing yarn guide, and carefully feel for the drawstring inside the drawstring channel. Manipulate the string until it's RIGHT against the top edge of the channel, and using a straight pin, pin just below the string so it can't work it's way down. The last thing you want, is to accidentally sew through the drawstring (ask me how I know this).

Name:	1.ysshack.jpeg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	304066

2.Cut a length of the webbing about 3.5" long. Wave the ends through a candle-flame or the flame on your stove. It doesn't take much, and BE CAREFUL. This melts the fabric so it can't unravel.

Name:	2.yss-hack.jpeg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	304067

3.Feed the webbing through the slot on the base of the buckle, and pull it through so that it's about 1/3 of the webbing is through.

Name:	3.yss-hack.jpeg
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	304068

4.Fold the long end over the short end, and adjust the lengths until the long comes about 1/2 way down the far side. The short end should nestle right against the fold. (Sorry for flipping it around for the photo)

Name:	4.yss-hack.jpeg
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	304069

5.The BACK of the yarn guide is the long end that extends down the back side - it will be hidden against the fabric.

Name:	5.yss-hac.jpeg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	304070

6.Center the new yarn guide over the vertical seam. I just held it in place.

Name:	6.yss-hack.jpeg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	304071

7.Sew a seam, carefully lining up your stitching with the existing horizontal seam (it's the seam that formed the drawstring channel). This will disguise the additional stitching/thread. Make sure to sew through all three layers of the webbing. This is important.

8.Here's what the new seam looks like from the outside. If you look closely, you can see that it's not perfectly invisible, but it's not going to show unless one is LOOKING for the hack.

Name:	8.yss-hack.jpeg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	304072

9.Here's the YSS in use, with two balls of yarn for TAAT socks. I normally wouldn't fold the YSS down like this, but I wanted the yarn to show.

Name:	9.yss-hack.jpeg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	304073

10.Here's the second one I did, showing both yarn guides, existing and additional:

Name:	10.yss-hack.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	304074

As you can see, it's quick and easy. I'm a reasonably experienced seamster (I've even sewn some messenger bags - usually matching trick-or-treat bags for my daughter's Halloween costumes), but I tend to work quickly so my work usually is a bit sloppy.

Added: I couldn't get a pin through all the layers, which is why I ended up just holding it in place while I sewed it. If you really wanted to do it right, hand baste it first.
                    Last edited by CathyWeeks; 06-24-2018, 06:33 AM.

Comment

This isn’t so much a hack as a wonderful A-HA!!! moment — the 3DOC fits perfectly inside the Smart Alec’s front inner pocket. See?

Finally I’ve figured out what that pocket is for!!! Huzzah!!

And to all others who have figured it out already, my hat’s off to you. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Comment

Waiting to board a plane and there's no seats available in the waiting area. So small Yeoman duffle as a portable chair. Click image for larger version

Name:	1530194272955-1224x1632.jpg
Size:	684.4 KB
ID:	304092
                        Last edited by Shortie; 06-28-2018, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of a challenge to issue to the community. I love my Daylight Briefcase, but I really want to have the option to wear it as a backpack. Shoulder strap carry is my least preferred method of carrying a bag. I would love to be able to hack my DLBC to convert a shoulder strap into a backpack strap. Several bag companies now do this, primarily with tote bags but Qwstion comes closest to what I’m looking for. I beg forgiveness for posting a link to another bag (https://www.qwstion.com/en/simple-office-graphite.html) but I really want to use my TB bag is this way.

I welcome any thoughts and am standing at attention for Darcy’s correction if I violated a rule.

Cheers!

SPODA

Comment

Originally posted by SPODA View Post
                            Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of a challenge to issue to the community. I love my Daylight Briefcase, but I really want to have the option to wear it as a backpack. Shoulder strap carry is my least preferred method of carrying a bag. I would love to be able to hack my DLBC to convert a shoulder strap into a backpack strap. Several bag companies now do this, primarily with tote bags but Qwstion comes closest to what I’m looking for. I beg forgiveness for posting a link to another bag (https://www.qwstion.com/en/simple-office-graphite.html) but I really want to use my TB bag is this way.

I welcome any thoughts and am standing at attention for Darcy’s correction if I violated a rule.

Cheers!

SPODA
                            Hmmm... I can't think of a solution that doesn't entail ripping out seams and sewing down a strap. Are you open to a marsupial approach? You could get a packable day pack, pop the DLBC inside, then when you get to your destination, you could pack the day pack into one of the DLBC pockets. It is possible a halcyon DLBP might fold flat enough to do this, but I don't have one so I am not sure.

Comment

Thanks, Cristina! That would work, and I have a packable backpack that I love (not a TB) but that would be a bit cumbersome. The idea is to be able to pack the DLBC in my Tri-Star (on the way!) or my A30 for movement during travel and then take it out for the flight. For the kind of travel I do, once I’m on the ground, I keep the two bags separate and would like to be able to throw my DLBC on my back and carry my TS or A30 in my hand for the short movements. One of the things I love most about TB bags is how customizable they are. I have rejected so many bags because the designers assume they know how I want to use them and they don’t. I don’t travel with a laptop so I don’t like bags that have that space built in because it’s wasted for me. If I do need to carry my laptop, the cache and rail system is there for me. The DLBC, in my opinion, is a wonder of bag design but would be perfect (at least for me) if it had this functionality. Maybe I should post this in the “Wish List” thread as well...

Comment

Originally posted by SPODA View Post
                                Thanks, Cristina! That would work, and I have a packable backpack that I love (not a TB) but that would be a bit cumbersome. The idea is to be able to pack the DLBC in my Tri-Star (on the way!) or my A30 for movement during travel and then take it out for the flight. For the kind of travel I do, once I’m on the ground, I keep the two bags separate and would like to be able to throw my DLBC on my back and carry my TS or A30 in my hand for the short movements. One of the things I love most about TB bags is how customizable they are. I have rejected so many bags because the designers assume they know how I want to use them and they don’t. I don’t travel with a laptop so I don’t like bags that have that space built in because it’s wasted for me. If I do need to carry my laptop, the cache and rail system is there for me. The DLBC, in my opinion, is a wonder of bag design but would be perfect (at least for me) if it had this functionality. Maybe I should post this in the “Wish List” thread as well...
                                The problem is that the Daylight Briefcase is a very streamlined design, but if it can be transformed into a backpack Tom is the person to do that.
                                Maybe be you can try this hack: use 2 Simple Shoulder Straps, one for each attachment point and clip them onto themselves to make a backpack strap.
                                Last edited by backpack; 07-22-2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X