No announcement yet.

Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I added exterior straps to the side of my new Synik for carrying a tripod. Could also work for the Synapse.Click image for larger version

Name:	B2BB6D39-D304-46D4-8A7B-7BDA60939AD3.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	869.1 KB
ID:	307727Click image for larger version

Name:	9FE13C69-A85F-48E8-94D2-6C397439C5E9.jpeg
Size:	918.4 KB
ID:	307728Click image for larger version

Name:	724627E3-B876-42DC-A360-388914B0D00C.jpeg
Size:	786.1 KB
ID:	307729Click image for larger version

Name:	103D2E8E-F5C6-452A-AF4C-34D81844CD67.jpeg
Size:	830.2 KB
ID:	307730

Comment

Kudos for taking the plunge on making your bag work better for you!

I am curious, is there a backer (stiffener?) on the inside of the attachment points, since they look to be mounted away from a structural seam? It looks like a regular stitch instead of an X-box. How much does your tripod weigh? I would be concerned that over time the stress at the attachment points would pull the tabs out of the fabric (although the Halcyon is quite strong). Do you also balance it out with, say, a water bottle on the opposite side? It might also be interesting to further redistribute the weight by strapping the waist straps around the tripod at the bottom.

On a different note - what do you like to take pictures of, when you are out and about?

Comment

Thank you! I work for a construction company as the marketing director and one of my main jobs is to take photographs of projects...before, during, and after. I agree that for extensive use this would not be a viable option...but this is to basically make it easier to schlep all my gear in and out of hotels, schools, airports, up and down stairs, etc... when shooting our work. I have a lot of gear bags and only two hands. (:

This tripod is less than 3 lbs so it is light. One of the bottom points is using the existing waist band loops. At some point, I might get brave and actually do some seam ripping and sewing these into the seam but bag surgery is a risky proposition. As it is, the weight is distributed among 8 different spots so it shouldn’t be a big deal for lightweight use.

Comment

That sounds like a fun job!!

If you ever do perform augmentive surgery - the Guide's Edition might be a good template for where to add attachments, since the GE already has lash points. Or, you might consider picking up a Smart Alec secondhand with gatekeeper straps on the front.

Originally posted by SKIMT View Post
          Thank you! I work for a construction company as the marketing director and one of my main jobs is to take photographs of projects...before, during, and after. I agree that for extensive use this would not be a viable option...but this is to basically make it easier to schlep all my gear in and out of hotels, schools, airports, up and down stairs, etc... when shooting our work. I have a lot of gear bags and only two hands. (:

This tripod is less than 3 lbs so it is light. One of the bottom points is using the existing waist band loops. At some point, I might get brave and actually do some seam ripping and sewing these into the seam but bag surgery is a risky proposition. As it is, the weight is distributed among 8 different spots so it shouldn’t be a big deal for lightweight use.

Comment

My boss might growl at spending any more money on bags for camera equipment. I probably should make this one work one way or another.

Comment

Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses

I’m no good at sewing...as the title of this thread would suggest, I’m a “hack” at best. But, I’ve been toying with ways to make the already great Daylight Briefcase even better for my needs.

I love the overall ethos of the DLBC: it’s just the right size and shape, has zippers, a great little pair of handles, wears very comfortably crossbody or off the shoulder, and has lots of organization, if not exactly what I need...so I’ve added more, in my hacky sort of way.

My main carry usually includes the usual assortment of stuff that fits well in and around the bag. But it also often includes some things that aren’t perfect in the DLBC for me: a water bottle, a small mirrorless camera, sometimes a second lens, and pens, which I’ve never found a great way to carry in the DLBC, though there are certainly places to tuck pens if needed.

So here’s what I’ve used:
              1. Bought a small pen holder, with a Velcro backing, from amazon. It was just a few bucks.
              2. Got some Velcro tape from the local hardware store.
              3. A few safety pins because the Velcro tape is sticky, but can still pull away from the interior if I’m not careful, so I tacked it a couple of places (see, I’m a hack).
              4. An old camera insert flap...I have a bunch of these from camera bags over the years. (I don’t like using camera bags, or even fully-padded camera inserts in a TB bag, because they are too bulky and stiff and never fit well.)
              5. An old TB Cache that I sacrificed to make a padded bottom for the DLBC.

Main pocket also includes some items behind the flap: a mask or two, plus two super-mini ghost whale pouches attached to the o-rings, holding hand sanitizer in one and a camera battery and AirPods in the other.

So I wouldn’t use this to get a job crafting bags at TB...but it works great for my purposes. The small & soft camera insert holds a water bottle or extra lens, and it can be easily detached if I need to put something like a laptop in the main compartment...I usually just fold it down to add more padding. The old Cache was cut down to make a perfect sized padded bottom. The pen holder is in a great spot, out of the way and easily accessible (I got the idea from the placement of the pen slots in the Icons). From a purely aesthetic point of view, I wish I didn’t also have to use a couple of safety pins to hold the Velcro tape in place, but functionally, they never get in the way or cause a problem. Anyway, this is now as close to perfect as I’ve ever managed to make a bag for my needs, and someday I’ll figure out how to sew these changes in...maybe.

The rest of my load out, just for thoroughness:

These items in the front side-ways pocket, tucked-in in this order, left to right: glasses cloth, assorted gift cards, tech dongles in a mini GWOP, first aid in an organizer pouch.

Split pockets: Meds and etc in the left, glasses case in the right:

I keep the back pocket empty for use as needed for a book or kindle or hat or wallet and phone, etc...).

It’s fun tinkering...I’m sure many of you can relate.
              Curt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              Last edited by cdgerston; 03-02-2021, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Easy and convenient way to carry a camera. My apologies if someone else posted something like this before....not really any different than many other ideas in this board.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24377[/ATTACH]
                I realize this is an older post but....what extra straps did you add here and how did you attach them to the sternum strap apparatus? I'm tempted to try this but not seeing how

Comment

Originally posted by moocoweyes View Post
                  I realize this is an older post but....what extra straps did you add here and how did you attach them to the sternum strap apparatus? I'm tempted to try this but not seeing how
                  Hi moocoweyes,

If you read down from the post that you quoted, you’ll see there is more discussion. I’ll quote the answer SKIMT gave about which straps he used:
                  Those are the TB 3” key straps with the plastic swivels removed and using S-Biners from REI.
                  These are standard key straps of the sort that get included with most Tom BIHN bags.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Key-Strap-Snaphook-Snaphook-Eight-Inch-Black_1024x1024.jpg
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	308024
                  The poster removed the end connectors, leaving a webbing fabric loop at each end. The top loop was slipped onto the bottom edge of the sternum strap using the slot just to the left of the webbing loop where I’ve circled in red.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	CEA9AA9C-F023-4CE9-B68C-2D0ED621E2FC.jpeg
Size:	738.6 KB
ID:	308025

One end of a Nite-Ize S-biner hooks into the bloom of the keystrap webbing loop while the other end attaches to the suspended camera. The same setup is repeated on the right.

HTH

moriond

Comment

This setup is still working great! Also use it for my little backup point and shoot.

Still waiting for a Tom Bihn camera backpack.

Comment

Working...
                    X