Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,818   Posts: 191,209   Members: 6,714   Active Members: 267
Welcome to our newest member, adb755.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by synapse25survivedNYC View Post
    Stuff a Small Shop Bag inside of a Q-Kit!

Credit goes to Bijouxandbeads
    http://forums.tombihn.com/general-ba...html#post94664
    I wish I could take credit, but go about 5-6 entries down from that post you linked, and you'll see links to Moriond's and NWHikergal's threads and pics (where I first saw the idea :-)

I can't take credit, but I've already made use of the suggestion and love the capability of rolling that shop bag into the small Q-kit - I swear it's magic!
    Last edited by Bijouxandbeads; 03-22-2015, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Along the lines of bag hacks, has anyone managed to make the bottle holder on the brain bag a little more usable for travel mugs? I love the bottle holders on the side of my Ego, but love the space/backpack of the brain bag. I find that if I set the bag down, the mug gets pushed out and I just want it held in there more securely.

Comment

Originally posted by Bijouxandbeads View Post
        I wish I could take credit, but go about 5-6 entries down from that post you linked, and you'll see links to Moriond's and NWHikergal's threads and pics (where I first saw the idea :-)

I can't take credit, but I've already made use of the suggestion and love the capability of rolling that shop bag into the small Q-kit - I swear it's magic!
        Original credit for the idea of stuffing a Small Shop Bag into a Small Q-KIt should probably go to Matthew of the Tom Bihn Crew, who stuffed a Shop Bag into the Small Q-Kit while @NWHikergal was visiting the Tom Bihn Store.

Originally posted by NWhikergal View Post
        I picked up a grey FJN and a verde small Q-kit, plus I got to see an excellent demo by Matthew of how the SSB fits in the small Q-Kit.
        It was in response to that comment that I posted pictures on the forum a few minutes later,of a rolled up Small Shop Bag in a Small Q-Kit, and @NWHikergal followed by doing the same with her own rolled and stuffed version.

One of the great things about talking with Tom Bihn Crew members is that they're also owners and users of TB bags and accessories, with their own opinions, preferences, and hacks. Here's @Matthew's posted suggestion and picture of using the (original smaller model) Q-Kit for cough drops.

moriond

Comment

I cobbled together an external water bottle carry setup for my small Cafe Bag that seems to work okay. The ingredients are...

Cafe 9
          by jjgtme, on Flickr

One 1.5" triglide with a slot cut in the bar, one 1" Gatekeeper clip, one 1.5" triangle metal hook, about 7" of 1.5" nylon webbing, and about 20" of elastic shock cord with a plastic grab toggle.

Attach the 1" Gatekeeper to one of the waist strap loops.

Cafe 10
          by jjgtme, on Flickr

Run the shock cord through the Gatekeeper.

Cafe 11
          by jjgtme, on Flickr

Put the triglide on the shoulder strap and run the other webbing through it to make a loop to hold the triangle hook.

Cafe 12
          by jjgtme, on Flickr

Cafe 13
          by jjgtme, on Flickr

The lid of my bottle works well since it has a molded loop that can easily clip in to the triangle hook.

Cafe 14
          by jjgtme, on Flickr

Use the shock cord to secure the bottom half of the bottle from swinging around too much.

Cafe 15
          by jjgtme, on Flickr

Cafe 16
          by jjgtme, on Flickr

Cafe 17
          by jjgtme, on Flickr

So far it's been pretty good access to the bottle while I'm walking is okay. Not as quick and easy as the Co-Pilot but for days when I need maximum space inside the Cafe bag this is a fair compromise for holding the water bottle. I think what I like the most is that the whole setup can go on or off in about a minute. The triangle hook and Gatekeeper are unobtrusive and could be used to secure other items when not needed for the bottle. The shock cord can just be pulled out and stowed in the bag when it's not in use.

Comment

I like this idea very much!

Comment

Ok, I'm not handy in this regard so - what is shock cord?

Comment

Originally posted by marytattoo View Post
                Ok, I'm not handy in this regard so - what is shock cord?
                The stretchy cord like comes on the Smart Alec.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SIM View Post
                  The stretchy cord like comes on the Smart Alec.

Thanks. One more (silly?) question - where does one get the toggle thingy? I'd ask my dad, but, um, he died a few years back. ... he was great with this kind of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by marytattoo View Post
                    Thanks. One more (silly?) question - where does one get the toggle thingy? I'd ask my dad, but, um, he died a few years back. ... he was great with this kind of stuff.
                    You'll probably be able to get them on Amazon. Search for "cord locks".

Comment

A quick way to shortcut the side discussions about individual parts so we can keep this thread about the actual hacks: Most of the items @jujigatame and others use for bag hacking/customization can be found at Tactical Suppliers. Here's an annotated list of sources for DIY parts maintained by Mil Spec Monkey, which is one (of many) sources for these items. I recommend that you browse that site or the listed sources using some of the search keywords for the kind of product you are looking for.

I believe you can find Shock cord and Tac-Toggles there and elsewhere. The main thing to note is that some of the specific items and colors may be out of stock at the time you search, so that knowing the name or description of the product you want will let you do a web search (including sources like Amazon or eBay, that may be more convenient to order from in small quantities, but which will generally be a bit more expensive).

HTH

moriond

P.S. A suggestion that we might describe the detailed hacks in a separate thread, so that specific questions can be handled in that thread, and then write up a summary of the hack here with a link to the specific thread for more queries. That should keep the "flow" of reading and later searching a bit cleaner.
                      Last edited by moriond; 05-03-2015, 03:45 PM.

Comment

If anyone wants info about something I used in the setup feel free to send me a private message via the forum. You could use pretty much any type of cord with an adjustable cord lock in that role. I like the shock cord because the stretch lets you replace the bottle with less fuss. Elastic cord and cord locks can often be found at fabric/notions shops or craft stores. The toggle could be substituted with a wood, metal or glass bead of sufficient size to hold against the cord. You could use a hex nut or a metal washer. Lots of stuff laying around the house can fill that role. Or you could just tie a larger diameter knot at the end of the cord.

As moriond said, Mil Spec Monkey is a great place to look for items on DIY stuff like this. You can buy small quantities, prices are reasonable and the service is good.

Comment

Originally posted by jujigatame View Post
                          I cobbled together an external water bottle carry setup for my small Cafe Bag that seems to work okay. The ingredients are...
                          This is a great idea. Would work for an umbrella or for quick access to hand sanitizer or keys even. Well done!

Comment

Not sure if this is useful or not but, after someone mentioned last week that the S19 Freudian Slip worked in the front outer pocket of the DLBP. So, I ordered the 19 FS (of course, even though I have the 25 FS). It came today. And, while not perfect, the S19 FS works in the LCB. It doesn't attach. But if someone doesn't want to take a backpack somewhere, they can move the organization into a LCB. At least temporarily. Perhaps everyone knows this, but I've not seen it mentioned.

Comment

Love it! Thank you, I was wondering how to strap stuff on the outside of the S19 sans lash points.

Comment

It's a little different, but today I hacked my S19 to fix the hood of my rain jacket.

See, my rain jacket is wonderful, except that the clips for the hood cord don't stay tight, so the hood loosens up and blows off as I walk. But the hood cords are pretty long, and have loops at the end....... so I flipped the hydration clip around and slid it as high as it would go one one shoulder strap, then added a second hydration clip on the other shoulder strap. Now when I need to I can just cinch my hood down, hook the strap loops over the hydration clips, and walk into any breeze I want and stay dry! (Note this may not work for taller people, but at my height it's perfect!)
                                Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X