Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,818   Posts: 191,209   Members: 6,714   Active Members: 267
Welcome to our newest member, adb755.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrific videos!!! Thank you so very much. And I love the music ....

Comment

These Bag Hack video demos were great! And now we have somewhere to pointe everyone who asked for a video demo of how to roll a small shop bag into a small Q-Kit. Also, good job getting these up early so that people can add accessories/parts to their wish lists, since I always find (on debut days) that I really meant to add those keystraps, handle loops, double carabiner clips, triangle hooks (remember there are two sizes 1" and 1.5") and colored cord pulls to my order!

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
        Thank you to everyone who contributed their bag hacks / creative uses! @Zeke made some great videos demonstrating selected hacks/creative uses. Here they are:

TOM BIHN Forums Bag Hacks Part I
        https://vimeo.com/160672777

TOM BIHN Forums Bag Hacks Part II
        https://vimeo.com/160672776
        Evil, and oh so tempting. For the long run, can we later do a summary listing of the accessory items and links used in the various hacks?

Comment

Is anyone else watching this just because they are trying to kill the next 29 minutes of time?

And may I also say that the double-carabiners + SE is the most awesome hack ever? I use it all the time now on airplanes. Easy access to your essentials while the tray is down...brilliant! Combined with my water bottle on the carbiner I feel so cool!

Comment

And...

Please share... no need to only use Tom Bihn accessories to make Tom Bihn bags better. This is a show and tell and I want to see!

Comment

Just thought that I'd mention that gatekeeper clips also connect nicely to 0-rings. I've made a 3d fabric organizing cube into a waist pack this way, with the waist strap that came with my side effect. I'm not usually a waist pack person but there are times I want to keep just my wallet and phone on me- like at festivals, on an airplane when I need to use the facilities, when I'm in a crowd. Being smaller than a side effect, the 3d cube is less noticeable (hopefully less nerdy looking ) and in parapack its more flexible than a ballistic side effect would be.
              Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is my Black Halcyon Zeitgeist with a Cobalt Cerylon 3DOC as my "purse"/

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                @Zeke made some great videos demonstrating selected hacks/creative uses.
                Awesome videos! These made my morning.

Comment

Originally posted by sturbridge View Post
                  Just thought that I'd mention that gatekeeper clips also connect nicely to 0-rings. I've made a 3d fabric organizing cube into a waist pack this way, with the waist strap that came with my side effect. I'm not usually a waist pack person but there are times I want to keep just my wallet and phone on me- like at festivals, on an airplane when I need to use the facilities, when I'm in a crowd. Being smaller than a side effect, the 3d cube is less noticeable (hopefully less nerdy looking ) and in parapack its more flexible than a ballistic side effect would be.
                  I've used the shoulder strap of the SE a few times when messenger carry was not secure for the activity (paddling in a dragon boat). I make it as small as possible, then tie a knot to make it smaller, so I can wear it as a slightly loose hip pack.

Comment

I have previously posted this in another thread, but found it to be very helpful. I like to carry my laptop in a vertical cache in my aeronaut backpack strap pocket. I carry a 13" Macbook Pro in both my Aeronaut 30 and 45 this way.

Scroll to 2:50 on the video

Comment

Last Saturday I did the No More Danglies hack from the Bag Hacks Part II video on my Smart Alec and my Daylight Backpack. On the Smart Alec, the strap ends went through the added tri-glides with difficulty. Finally I used pliers to push the strap end through a bit and then pull it out the other side. However, for the Daylight Backpack, I had to use a small file to enlarge the tri-glide openings a bit before the strap ends would go through. Filing the added tri-glides was low risk as they are not an integral part of the bag and I bought more than I needed.

Comment

I guess I should add my custom braided wrist strap over here, too - you could do this with TB paracord, but I happened to use custom colors. I cannibalized the snaphook off the 5/8 shoulder strap, if you only need one you should be able to either order from the Parts page, or order the stock wrist strap then cannibalized.

I used a 4-strand braid as shown here: How to braid Paracord but I started by looping 2 1-foot lengths of cord through the snap-hook to create 4 strands. Then about 4" from the end of the braid, I wrapped the loose ends around the base to create an adjustable loop and sort of just pulled them through the back of the braid, then stitched the ends down. Not the neatest loop in the world, but it certainly works:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SE Wrist Strap.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	299565
                        Rambling On. . . . .

Comment

If this hasn't been listed elsewhere, it is possible to attach a gatekeeper waist strap to the back of a Smart Alec lower modular pocket and wear the LMP around one's waist. I was able to easily thread the clips through the nylon loops, even with the existing clips in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
                          "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

Originally posted by NWhikergal View Post
                            If this hasn't been listed elsewhere, it is possible to attach a gatekeeper waist strap to the back of a Smart Alec lower modular pocket and wear the LMP around one's waist. I was able to easily thread the clips through the nylon loops, even with the existing clips in place.
                            Can you put up photo?

Comment

Originally posted by Kirri View Post
                              Can you put up photo?
                              These aren't great photos but it will give you an idea. I think the LMP might ride more stably when attached to the middle versus upper loops, but I am attaching photos of both.

"Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
                              "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

Here's a bag hack from Mark, one of the crew here at TOM BIHN:

"The ferry terminal was hot and crowded inside today (lots of kids on a field trip day). Was able to hang my Smart Alec to access things and keep it off the dirty walkway, while relaxing in a cool shaded area."

Click image for larger version

Name:	smartalecferryterminal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	299657
                                Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Working...
                                X