Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,676   Members: 6,660   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, JFlyer.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been trying to figure out how to best use a Freudian Slip inside my Synapse 25. I love the FS's organization but I find that with the main compartment less than full, the FS tends to slide to the bottom and it doesn't feel quite as great on my back. If it could be suspended higher up, that would be way better, but I didn't really want to hang it from the rail loops because that would block access to the pockets on the back.

So I pulled out some paracord and a couple of carabiners...

First of all, I'm actually using the FS for the Synapse 19, because I want to be able to use it in both bags as well as my Large Cafe Bag. The S19 FS is a bit too tall for my purposes, though, so I've folded the top over a bit and am currently using binder clips to hold it. Sooner or later I'll get around to making this more permanent. (I am fine with this, but be warned: long term use of binder clips will deform the foam in the FS, leaving dents and making the fold into a permanent crease.)

Second, I'm certainly no paracord expert, but these are pretty basic knots and they should do the job.

I rigged up kind of a sling to go under the FS (the orange cord). I also used loops of orange cord on either side so that the FS would be suspended at the appropriate height.

I also used a length of cord (green) to go in front of the FS to keep it from flopping forward inside the bag.

Both the orange and green cords are connected to double carabiners, which are attached to the O-rings inside the bag near the top.

Here it is with the FS in place (the S25 is inside out).

And here's the system in situ.

One nice thing is that the rail loops can still be used for a Cache (or a homemade felted iPad case, as the case may be). The Cache can sit behind the FS.

I gave it a quick go today and it seems to work pretty nicely. I may find that I need to tinker with the length of the side orange loops to adjust the height at which the FS is suspended, but that's pretty simple. Yay!

Comment

My son came up with some home-made lumbar support. He's using (my) A-30, about to head out to Italy for a couple weeks. He's using a cotton peshtemal (towel), tightly rolled and put under the side pocked/behind the internal zipper, like so:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	TowelRoll.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	299975Click image for larger version

Name:	GoesHere.jpg
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	299976Click image for larger version

Name:	AllTuckedIn.jpg
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	299977Click image for larger version

Name:	LumbarSupport.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	299978

What he ends up with is a small 'bulge' outward in the lower portion of the A-30 (when worn as a backpack), that nestles perfectly into his lower back.
      Black Dyneema/Wasabi SA (with UMP & LMP and GloWire), Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Olive/Wasabi MCB, Verde/UV Swift, Black Dyneema/Island A30, Black Dyneema/Iberian Co-Pilot, PCSB in Wasabi, SSB's in Black & Wasabi, LSB's in Zest & NW Sky, TT's in Steel & Wasabi, Various Packing Cubes, TSS's, YSS's, OP's, and QKITs

Comment

That lumbar support hack is nothing short of brilliant. I'll take it!

Comment

The Field Journal Notebook inserts are great in the Field Journal. But, I have also found other interesting uses for them as a "mini" Freudian Slip for any bag that I want a little extra organization. I attach a keystrap to them to make them easy to pull out - like a pouch. Below are some pictures in my Daylight Backpack (DLBP), Pilot and Daylight Briefcase (DLBC) which does not have pen pockets:

DLBP

Name:	DLBP_FJN OI.jpg
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	300006

Pilot

Name:	Pilot_FJN OI1.jpg
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	300007

Name:	Pilot_FJN OI2.jpg
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	300008Click image for larger version

Name:	Pilot_FJN OI3.jpg
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	300009

DLBC

Name:	FJN OI_DLBC.jpg
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	300010

For the DLBC, the FJN Inserts will fit in the back pocket as well. One can fit in the front slash pocket as well. Of course, it can fit in the main compartment but I like it better in the pockets.

Cheers!

Edit: I added the DLBC picture.
          Last edited by tpnl; 06-09-2016, 06:15 PM.
          TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Nice! I also have used a FJN insert inside my Fauxdori notebook using some shock cord. I'll add a picture when I get home.

ETA: photos.

Last edited by terayon; 06-09-2016, 09:09 PM.

Comment

This is brilliant and might be just what I want for me swift! Thanks.

Comment

I just noticed that a 4-litre ice cream pail fits perfectly in a small Shop Bag, leaving room for lots of stuff in the pockets!

Comment

although I don't have a photo, I use key straps to attach my bags to grocery carts, making it more difficult for thieves.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Comment

Moveable Feast Mod

Did a quick search on this thread to see if anyone else came up with this mod but didn't get any results. It's possible I missed something. If so, disregard this post.

I like to use the MF to carry my writing desk, a side effect, and few other items to a local coffeeshop. The sturdy sides of the MF made it easy to load and the organisation of the outside pockets and end pockets was perfect. However, I found it tiresome to hand carry the MF. I had switched to using a large shop bag. The drop on the handles allowed me to carry the weight on my shoulder but the floppiness of the bag proved to be awkward when loading/unloading.

This morning I it occurred to me to use both bags to get the drop handles of the shop bag and the sturdy bucketness and organisation of the MF in one unit.

I put the shop bag inside the MF then looped the shop bag handles over and under the MF handles. Once the bag was loaded up, I lifted the shop bag handles, which were secured around the MF handles and carried the MF on my shoulder no problem. I'd have taken a picture of me carrying the MF on my shoulder but Zest cat can't hold a camera.

Name:	IMG_6273.jpg
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	300025Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6274.jpg
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	300026Click image for larger version

Name:	zestcatsmile.jpg
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	300027
                    Bring back Solar, pretty please? BRIGHT interior colours make me happy! **Team SolarSitkaWasabiZest**

Comment

For all you Black Halcyon and paracord lovers out there: This Touch of Gray paracord on Amazon matches black Halcyon beautifully. I haven't finished all my zipper pulls yet, but wanted to share what's done so far (handle and one zipper pull). (I've been having trouble remembering which of the two middle zippers to unzip to get to my keys, so decided to add a visual reminder.)

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	300030

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	300031

Comment

Originally posted by Bijouxandbeads View Post
                        For all you Black Halcyon and paracord lovers out there: This Touch of Gray paracord on Amazon matches black Halcyon beautifully. I haven't finished all my zipper pulls yet, but wanted to share what's done so far (handle and one zipper pull). (I've been having trouble remembering which of the two middle zippers to unzip to get to my keys, so decided to add a visual reminder.)
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]15810[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]15811[/ATTACH]
                        Nice! I've been looking for some paracord to match up with the black halcyon S25 as well. I came across this reflective black which has some reflective properties that I thought would be neat on my walks to work in the morning or at night which will help drivers see me.
                        Follow me on Twitter or Instagram @moongooseryan

Comment

Originally posted by LilAve View Post
                          Nice! I've been looking for some paracord to match up with the black halcyon S25 as well. I came across this reflective black which has some reflective properties that I thought would be neat on my walks to work in the morning or at night which will help drivers see me.
                          Lol that's what I've got on my original halcyon items!

Comment

How do you like it on your og halcyon bags? Would it match up with the new black or do you think the touch of grey looks better on the black halcyon?
                            Follow me on Twitter or Instagram @moongooseryan

Comment

Originally posted by LilAve View Post
                              How do you like it on your og halcyon bags? Would it match up with the new black or do you think the touch of grey looks better on the black halcyon?
                              I prefer the reflective black on the original and the Touch of Gray on the black halcyon. I wanted to maintain that subtle look that makes the black halcyon so appealing, and felt the reflective black paracord brought in a brightness that I didn't want. Totally personal preference though, and I did consider both a while before deciding. Both look good, just different.

Comment

More Paracord fun!

Want your New Nordic Halcyon Maker's Bag to be even more beautiful? Get the ultraviolet paracord from the Parts section of the TB store, and pull up paracordguild.com on your computer or tablet. Search for "Dragonfly". Detailed instructions are on the site! If you can execute a basic cobra knot, like Ben demonstrates in this TB video https://vimeo.com/112929038 the dragonfly is a cinch.

See how pretty??

Name:	IMG_0047.jpeg
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	300127Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.jpeg
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	300128
                                New Nordic/UV Halcyon MB, Aubergine/Wasabi Swift and SE, Swift/MB FS, Wasabi TT, all the Knitting Tool Pouches, many YSS's, COW, Sm DOP, Mini Q, etc etc etc

Comment

Working...
                                X