Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,524   Posts: 187,777   Members: 6,485   Active Members: 303
Welcome to our newest member, questah043.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pen-proof zippers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pen-proof zippers

Hi Guys & Gals!

I was catching up with Snarky Nomad posts on Facebook, and one of posts really grabbed my attention... It was about bags that are using Pen-proof zippers.

I google "Pen-proof zippers" but could not find nothing factual just ads about bags that claim to have something alike...

do you know if this is for real? I mean, is it something that we could ask TB to consider adding to our bags?

I know that TB are made to be carried on, but we do put then in over head bins and sleep while traveling... so that could make the difference.
    Last edited by eWalker; 01-24-2015, 05:32 AM.
    So much to catch up!

Sorry, eWalker, but I can't get the links to work.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbird View Post
      Sorry, eWalker, but I can't get the links to work.

Hi @blackbird!

Just looked using Tapatalk and the web browser... it seams to be some problem with Tapatalk

Here is the URL https://www.facebook.com/SnarkyNomad...99822796862717

And again the link.
      So much to catch up!

Comment

Thanks for reposting the link! The features are quite impressive, but I wouldn't say that the packs themselves are very nice to look at.

What I like about TB bags is that they marry form with function, so that you have a bag that works for a specific purpose, but that you really enjoy looking at and using, too.

But going back to the anti-theft features of the Numinous bags, I think figuring out how to incorporate some of that tech into TB bags would be great. The danger is, though, what would that do to the price of the bags, and is it possible that using too much of it is overkill?

I'd love to hear thoughts from frequent travelers.

blackbird

"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbird View Post
          I think figuring out how to incorporate some of that tech into TB bags would be great.
          I very much prefer TB bag design & concept, undoubtedly!!

But having TB bags with pen - proof zippers would be a dream come true that would not require any alteration on the bag concept or design.

What I really don't know is IF pen proof zippers really exist!

Sounds too good to be true!
          So much to catch up!

Comment

TB uses coil zippers just like every other bag manufacturer except those who advertise pen proof zippers. The others use chain zippers. Coil zippers are smoother to use.

There are a couple of things you can do to prevent anyone opening your bag with a pen:

1) Find a way to anchor the zipper pulls. The pen trick only works if the zipper pulls move. If they don't move, the thief can't cover up his work. Ebags sews tiny "o" rings near some of their zippers so they can be anchored.

2) If you're really concerned, get yourself a luggage strap to go around the bags while they're in the overhead. Thieves are opportunists and aren't going to undo a luggage strap, especially a locking one, to get into your bag. They will move one.

Personally, I keep anything of value with me near my seat and not in the overhead. I also wouldn't really worry about someone using a pen to open your bag's zipper while it's in the overhead. Unzipping a zipper may not be noticed by a passenger but using a pen to open a zipper will.
            Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

Good points Frank! I am going to look into that! Thanks!
              So much to catch up!

Comment

Working...
              X