Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,735   Posts: 190,218   Members: 6,596   Active Members: 265
Welcome to our newest member, josha.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tristar and Night Flight as carry ons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tristar and Night Flight as carry ons

I have a tristar love it.....
    would you be able to take both on the plane using the Night Flight as your personal item.... I would think that would work.

I am considering it still as a camera bag.... but I really would like to see more on it being used in such a way

Yes, that configuration would work, at least for most NA carriers. I can't verify with certainty the camera bag aspect but I do own a NFTD and I *think* it could be sort of annoying if you needed to get in and out of the bag with any frequency (lots of snaps and zippers, etc.). The best way to judge is to get one for yourself, if possible, and test pack. You'll know right away if it's a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've used this combination on a couple of Delta flights (at least one international) and it's worked well for me. I use the Night Flight primarily as a camera and electronics gear bag. In the tri-star I have an extra set of clothes, my laptop, medicines and whatever toiletries I want to access en route.

Here's a photo of the test pack I did when I first got the NFTD. Main compartment has: Nikon D7000 body, 35mm prime lens, 18-200mm zoom, a 10.5mm fisheye, Ricoh GR, and camera strap, with room for more. Actually I've been able to fit in there my wife's D3000 body with zoom lens as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fntd-test-pack.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	295481

Comment

On a related note, today I have my Night Flight and my Daylight Briefcase as my personal item and carry on. I am a maximalist packer and checked a small suitcase as well. Night Flight has headphones, food, water bottle, scarf, gloves, cosmetics bag. Daylight has my former Pilot contents but pared down to include laptop and accessories, magazines, and two books.

Maximalist packers unite!

ETA: I know the original thread is about TS and NFTD, but I just want to advocate for the NFTD, which I have in Dyneema, as an outstanding under-seat carry-on bag. I normally prefer to have just the Pilot and my scarf and jacket if traveling alone, and only add in the NFTD if I have to carry food and games for the family, but today I tried splitting into two bags, and I am so glad I did. I was able to keep my book and magazine in the seat pocket, stash the NFTD underneath, and put my DLBC in an overhead bin. The NFTD is very comfortable as a hand-carry. I kept the strap in the pocket just in case.

As the years go by, I get finickier as to what I want with me. For example, ten years ago I would not have brought eyeglasses cleaner and a cloth on board, or hand sanitizer, or so much backup reading. But now I enjoy these luxuries on board and at my destination (it was exorbitant prices for English-language books on a trip overseas that triggered me to always pack extra books either in carry-on or checked baggage).
        Last edited by GoStanford; 01-28-2015, 05:22 PM.

Comment

I do it all the time. TS is for clothes, NF for the CPAP, iPad mini, bose headphones and a few cables.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Gear: Steel/UV Tri-Star, UV Travel Tray, Clear OP (Large), Small TS Packing Cube

Comment

thanks.... seeing this has me almost convinced that this could be a good bag for the camera gear. I was debating about a tenba or think tank but i just loved tom bihn so much. curious do you carry your TS as a backpack or do you carry it as a shoulder bag with the NF as a shoulder bag as well. How does the NF work as a general walk around camera bag, is it comfortable, because I was wondering if it would be too bulky

Comment

Originally posted by sdophoto View Post
              thanks.... seeing this has me almost convinced that this could be a good bag for the camera gear. I was debating about a tenba or think tank but i just loved tom bihn so much. curious do you carry your TS as a backpack or do you carry it as a shoulder bag with the NF as a shoulder bag as well. How does the NF work as a general walk around camera bag, is it comfortable, because I was wondering if it would be too bulky
              While en route I've carried the TS in both backpack and shoulder carry configurations. The backpack configuration is more comfortable but makes it hard to carry a full water bottle.

I haven't used the NF as a walk-around camera bag, so I can't comment on that. (Once I get to my destination I carry the camera on its strap and extra lenses in pouches on my belt.)

Comment

Working...
              X