Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,581   Posts: 188,335   Members: 6,543   Active Members: 290
Welcome to our newest member, AndrewGxb0.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black dyneema/UV copilot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, this could be pathetic or inspired, or both! Just woke up from a dream.....sitting in a window seat on the Orient express, glorious views and reached down for my....black dyneema/UV copilot! Yikes, so real.

So, you know the question that's coming. Has there ever been or might there ever be such a creation? It really was quite spectacular!

@moriond needs a Bat-Signal type summoner.I'm only finding that combo for the WF(past),S25,TS,A30,NFTD,and S19. Lazy Googling nets nada.

Peace!

~~Don't thank me! Thank Insomnia!~~

Comment

Insomnia indeed, roarmouse! I do thank you for doing a check. Seems like the Black D/UV co-pilot would nest sweetly in several of the larger bags. I have a SE and SCB in this colorway and love them both!

Comment

Don't forget the MCB! I passed on that when I bought my first TB in July. Fortunately, I realized that I'm not a large vertical bag person,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a black dyneema/ UV Side Effect which is a really nice combination.
          The Orient Express is not too shabby either.
          ----
          All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
          Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by roarmouse View Post
            @moriond needs a Bat-Signal type summoner.I'm only finding that combo for the WF(past),S25,TS,A30,NFTD,and S19. Lazy Googling nets nada.

Peace!

~~Don't thank me! Thank Insomnia!~~
            We seem to have gotten a whole spate of inquiries about Black Dyneema/UV and Black Dyneema/Iberian combinations in the last day or so. First, @celtical, to answer your question, I don't recall seeing a Black Dyneema/UV (or Black Dyneema/Iberian -- which was another question that I just answered earlier) combination in the Co-Pilot. Black Dyneema/Iberian is currently available on back order for the Pilot, but the only previous Black Dyneema combinations I can recall for either Co-Pilot or Pilot are with Wasabi.

I think the first time I saw the Black Dyneema/Ultravioket combination in a travel bag was when they refreshed the Western Flyer line in late July 2014 (see @Jannilee's post in the Western Flyer is Baaaack! thread). It came and sold out amazingly fast (they weren't even able to list that color option in the blog post announcement about the Western Flyer availability on the following Monday, because all those models sold out by the end of the weekend). They did later make more of these bags later in the summer. In the meantime, they had issued the Cafe bags in Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet. I think these were sold out by around early August or late July. Both UV and Iberian Dyneema interiors have been paired with both sizes of Synapse (with lots of earlier pictures of the Iberian interior). I'm not sure what started the spate of UV pairings, but I recall that when many of the new travel bags debuted at the start of last July, some other colors of Dyneema were in short supply -- you could only order the Travel Laundry Stuff Sacks in either Uktraviolet or Steel. And earlier that spring (in April), they had done a short run of Aubergine/Ultraviolet Side Effects.

As far as other accessories, they did that nice run of Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet and Iberian Side Effects before Christmas. (I think the last of those sold out around the first week in January). And currently, both these color combinations of Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet or Iberian are available with the Aeronaut 30, Tri-Star, and Night Flight Travel Duffle. (In the Aeronaut 45 Black Dyneema/Iberian had been available before Christmas, sold out, and is now available for back order in March).

HTH

moriond
            Last edited by moriond; 02-04-2015, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Wow, thank you moriond! You are indeed an incredibly resourceful tracker of all things Bihn.

Given what you're reporting, and my sense of inquiries from others and the incredible joy this particular color combo gives me personally – – it sounds like we have reason to be hopeful that they will generate some more, perhaps both small and large items. The Bihn team seems to be astute like that.
              Last edited by celtical; 02-02-2015, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokilani View Post
                Don't forget the MCB! I passed on that when I bought my first TB in July. Fortunately, I realized that I'm not a large vertical bag person,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                *le sneefle* A Dyneema MCB sounds so lovely! Missing that opportunity is what I get for laying low for a few months 😳
                I don't need 2 MCBs,I don't need 2 MCBs...😛

Comment

Was the Swift or Little Swift ever made in Black Dyneema/UV? Or is that just another dream?
                  Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Comment

I have a Steel Dyneema/ UV Swift, and it's so special! I love that combo!
                    I really, really like TB Bags!

Comment

Originally posted by jess View Post
                      Was the Swift or Little Swift ever made in Black Dyneema/UV? Or is that just another dream?
                      @jess, AFAIK the Little Swift was only made in the Black Dyneema/Iberian combination when that product finally refreshed at the end of October 2013 (see Little Swift available again!). They then later migrated that color combination to the Swift, and offered it again for the Little Swift when that product refreshed again for last Christmas (again, after being out of stock in any version for a while, and then being discontinued!). I don't recall their ever offering either bag in Black Dyneema/UV. Also, I'm really glad that I got the Black Dyneema/Iberian Little Swift option before Christmas 2013, because I believe that they started shipping all the Little Swifts with the new gun metal gray zippers and no anodization of the metal tab for closing the bag some time around late February or March 2014. The metal colors for the zipper tabs and the closure just stand out more against the black Dyneema than for the Ballistic Nylon fabrics.

So, no Little Swifts or Swifts in Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet (only the combination with Iberian), and no Little Swifts in Nordic Dyneema. (Sorry, folks.)

On the other hand, as @dorayme indicated, there were a number of 400d Dyneema Cafe Bag color combination options, some of which debuted when 400d Dyneema (in Steel and Nordic) were first introduced, and some of which became available later. I think they were good about issuing Black Dyneema color combinations in the Cafe Bags, because everyone was so sad about Steel and Nordic being retired. Consequently, apart from the Nordic/Solar combinations (and the sorrow over Solar's second retirement), you had Black Dyneema/Solar, Black Dyneema/Wasabi, and Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet in the Cafe bags last summer. Most of the Steel Dyneema Cafe bags (like @dorayme's) were sold earlier, although they did dig out a bunch of Medium Cafe Bags in Steel Dyneema/Wasabi last July (that didn't last very long).

Earlier in the year, I remember @Jeff A ran a poll in his MCB Dyneema Interior Showdown, asking whether people thought solar or UV was a better interior for a Nordic MCB. (I don't think he ever bought a Nordic MCB, though?)

I think we should have these summaries based on Google searches rather than relying on my fallible memory! Maybe this will give @roarmouse leads for Dyneema color combinations to look for.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post

I think we should have these summaries based on Google searches rather than relying on my fallible memory! Maybe this will give @roarmouse leads for Dyneema color combinations to look for.

HTH

moriond
                        but....... Google is vastly inferior compared to you, moriond, especially (but not limited to) TB bags are concerned....

Comment

Also, I'm really glad that I got the Black Dyneema/Iberian Little Swift option before Christmas 2013, because I believe that they started shipping all the Little Swifts with the new gun metal gray zippers and no anodization of the metal tab for closing the bag some time around late February or March 2014. The metal colors for the zipper tabs and the closure just stand out more against the black Dyneema than for the Ballistic Nylon fabrics
                          This. I've become inured to the silver zippers on pretty much all the fabrics except Iberian and French Blue. Those fabrics with the new zips still make me twitch, so I've knotted some fancy zipper pulls with cord to cover it up or taken a wirecutter to the zippers. Also, I love the blackened button closure! So glad that all but one of my Swifts has that.

Back to topic...

Comment

@moriond Thank you once again for your encyclopedic TB knowledge! Part of me is sad that they never made BlackDyneema/UV a LS pairing but the other part of me is happy that I don't have to feel like I missed a perfect bag. I was lucky enough to snag a Black Ballistic/UV LS at the very end of the offerings and love it, I just wish it had a tiny bit more room which would be possible with the Dyneema fabric. That said I've been super fortunate in growing my Dyneema stash and even gotten my hands on a Nordic Swift and Nordic/UV MCB so I can't complain at all…but more things in BlackDyneema/UV would always be a welcome addition
                            Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Comment

Some updated information on the Little Swift transition to using gun metal grey zippers and blackened (anodized) button closures. This apparently occurred in two stages: Little Swifts that were ordered near the end of February 2014, and delivered in early March 2014 arrived with the black, anodized button closures, but with the gun metal gray zippers used on the interior of the bag. I'm not sure exactly when the black, anodized button closures on the Little Swift disappeared.

I wrote earlier:
                              Also, I'm really glad that I got the Black Dyneema/Iberian Little Swift option before Christmas 2013, because I believe that they started shipping all the Little Swifts with the new gun metal gray zippers and no anodization of the metal tab for closing the bag some time around late February or March 2014. The metal colors for the zipper tabs and the closure just stand out more against the black Dyneema than for the Ballistic Nylon fabrics
                              And @adalangdon replied:

Originally posted by adalangdon View Post
                              This. I've become inured to the silver zippers on pretty much all the fabrics except Iberian and French Blue. Those fabrics with the new zips still make me twitch, so I've knotted some fancy zipper pulls with cord to cover it up or taken a wirecutter to the zippers. Also, I love the blackened button closure! So glad that all but one of my Swifts has that.

Back to topic...
                              HTH, even though this has nothing to do with the Black Dyneema/Iberian (or Ultraviolet) color combination used in Little Swifts. Amazing how many forum members seem to be dreaming about Tom Bihn products. See the I've officially lost my mind--Tom Bihn Dreams thread for references to dreams about Iberian Dyneema bags that have included posts of pictures of the the actual bags. (Sorry, the UV Dyneema Synapse pictures are in other threads, like this post by Beau of @Moose's bags).

moriond

Comment

Working...
                              X