Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,399   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, FlorBeadle.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Brain Bag and Packing Cubes / Stuff Sacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@feijai, I'm not where I can access these accessories, and I've never had a Brain Bag, but I can give you one clearcut example of where the size #4 (largest TSS) gives you and advantage over the tall YSS -- try carrying shoes. Of course, your feet may be too large for either of these to work, but I've put a pair of men size 10½ M sneakers into a size #4 TSS, which works because of the more rectangular and wider shape, and which utterly would fail in a tall YSS of similar volume (which is better for water bottles or as yarn project bags). Take a look at @brendabethman's posts in the Parental Unit as Gym Bag thread. With men's shoes the filled width of the size 4 TSS is much wider than in her pictures, but it fits.

I posted some pictures showing relative sizes of the TSS and YSS with the TLSS for A30.

@tpnl, if you change the BB code from URL to IMG the pictures you link to will display directly in your posts. In the desktop browser you can choose the image icon, but instead of uploading an attachment from your computer, choose the From URL tab, paste in the URL of your link, and then uncheck the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" if you don't want this saved as one of your attachments, Ir you can just edit the BB code to switch the URL and /URL in the square brackets to IMG and /IMG (not case sensitive, by the way).

HTH

moriond

ETA: You can easily fit two 85 watt Mac power bricks with attached power extensions cords into the size #3 TSS with some room for a few other cords and connectors. I checked this once, and I did find it easier to use the TSS than a YSS becasue of the more rectangular shape of the power bricks. YMMV. I tend to carry a Synaose, so my power bricks go horiontally into the bottom front pocket, and I don't use stuff sacks for this. Actually, a favorite accessory for this type of use is the now-discontiinued Kit. I love the favpct that you can put sprawly items in this bag, and the wider base means that it won't roll or flop over, and the narrower top makes it easy to grip, In my Synapse, it sits either in the front bottom pocket, or it also goes well at the top, where the bag narrows (especially love this at the top of my 19" Indigo/Solar Synapse, where I use a Kiwi Kit, often inverted). Just my preferences, but probably not relevant to Brain Bag discussions.
    Last edited by moriond; 02-05-2015, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by feijai View Post
      [*]Additionally can anyone with a Medium YSS (or Tall) and a Brain Bag fill it to the gills with, I dunno, socks, and try to get it into a Brain Bag compartment vertically?

Sorry for the fixation. Help would be appreciated.
      @feijai

I have 2 Tall YSS (1 fabric bottom and 1 clear bottom) and 2 Small YSS (both fabric bottom)

Here are a few pictures of them in 1 of the main BB compartments together. There was a little bit more room and so I put in a Side Effect as well. All the YSS compress well into the 4" depth of the BB compartment:

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB_YSS_Inside1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	295578Click image for larger version

Name:	BB_YSS_Inside2.jpg
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	295577Click image for larger version

Name:	BB_YSS_Inside3.jpg
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	295576

Here are a few pictures of the exterior of the BB with the YSS and SE in it as well as a Size 2S Brain Cell in the front compartment:

Name:	BB_YSS_Exterior_Front.jpg
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	295579Click image for larger version

Name:	BB_YSS_Exterior_Side.jpg
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	295580

Here are a few pictures of the 2 types of YSS to give some size perspective:

Name:	YSS.jpg
Size:	550.3 KB
ID:	295583Click image for larger version

Name:	YSS_Top.jpg
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	295581Click image for larger version

Name:	YSS_Height.jpg
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	295582

Contents:
      Tall YSS - fabric bottom
      1 pair of size 11 running shoes - New Balance 857. These have a wide stabilization base so take up a lot of space in the YSS. They are a bit tight but do fit.

Tall YSS - clear bottom
      1 pair of jeans and 3 t-shirts

Small YSS
      4 underwear

Small YSS
      4 socks and 1 t-shirt

Hope this helps and is what you are looking for to help with the conniption!

Cheers!

Edit: I initially thought I had pictured a Medium YSS - however it is actually a Small YSS. I have updated the above text accordingly.
      Also, thanks @moriond for showing me that fix for displaying a jpg.
      Last edited by tpnl; 02-09-2015, 09:54 PM.
      TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

@tpnl Is it my imagination or are your medium YSS of smaller diameter than your tall YSS? From the pictures you supplied it certainly looks that way. Because on the Tom Bihn website it states that they're both 6.25" diameter.

@moriond I'm trying to get my brain wrapped around what you said regarding the power supplies. The #3 TSS is basically rectangular at its base but of course the sidewall can assume any shape (and likewise for the YSS). Is the issue really total circumference? A #3 TSS is about 21.2 inches around. The medium YSS is 19.6 inches in circumference.

Can anyone verify that the #4 TSS is actually 50 cubic inches smaller in volume than the Tall YSS, as is stated on the website? Because I'm getting pretty different results from the dimensions.
        Last edited by feijai; 02-07-2015, 10:30 PM.
        Blue Parapack Brain Bag with Brain Cell

Comment

@feijai

You are correct - I used 2 Small YSS and not Medium YSS (I got confused because the height measurement of my Small YSS is 6.5" - more to the size of the Medium YSS). Good catch. The other YSS are definitely the Tall YSS (however, it is interesting to also note that the height of my Tall YSS is 13" - not the 11" listed on the website. The difference is probably to account for the cinching when closing the YSS). However, there is enough room in the BB to use the Medium YSS instead of the Small YSS as it is only 1" taller and the same diameter as the Tall YSS.

I do not know about the size of your power supply but the Tri-Star video shows the person putting an Apple power supply in a Size 1 TSS - see this thread:

http://forums.tombihn.com/general-ba...=tristar+video

Hope this helps

Cheers!
          Last edited by tpnl; 02-08-2015, 02:02 PM.
          TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Originally posted by tpnl View Post
            it is interesting to also note that the height of my Tall YSS is 13" - no the 11" listed on the website. The difference is probably to account for the cinching when closing the YSS
            Yes, I believe the measurements on the site are with the bags filled to capacity and cinched closed.

I do not know about size of your power supply but the Tri-Star video shows the person putting an Apple power supply in a Size 1 TSS - see this thread:
            Unfortunately that power supply does not have the large power cord connected, which greatly increases its size. Thanks though, it was a good size reference.

I've been thinking about the TSS: they're not in dimensions proportional to one another. Thus unlike the tall and medium YSS, you can't really stack them evenly. My suggestion would be to change the TSS dimensions as follows (I assume 0.83 scaling for the rounded rectangle, which is about right)

* Size 4: 10 x 8 x 6 Volume: 400 cubic inches
            * Size 3: 5 x 8 x 6 Volume: 200 cubic inches
            * Size 2: 5 x 4 x 6 Volume: 100 cubic inches
            * Size 1: 5 x 4 x 3 Volume: 50 cubic inches

I imagine this would pack much more neatly.
            Last edited by feijai; 02-08-2015, 08:36 AM.
            Blue Parapack Brain Bag with Brain Cell

Comment

Working...
            X