Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,777   Posts: 190,686   Members: 6,662   Active Members: 270
Welcome to our newest member, lesleypelka.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geocaching with a TB bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geocaching with a TB bag

I was wondering if there are any geocachers here. And if so, what do you carry in your TB bag when you go caching? Which bag do you use? I always have to fight the feeling that my TB bags are 'too good to use'! I have two TB bags (the Synapse 25 and Daylight Backpack) and one that will hopefully arrive this week (Medium Café Bag). Heaven help me, I'm addicted to Tom Bihn products - not always a good thing when you have to pay international postage and customs charges. And yet.....

Anyway! Tomorrow I'm heading to the south coast of England to do a series of caches along the seafront, so I've got my bag all ready and am able to go a little lighter than if I was going into the woods. So I've left out extra maps, larger size swag, my Leatherman multi-tool, and a first aid kit.

Tomorrow my kit will include the TB Daylight Backpack and organiser pouch with a bottle of water, woolly hat, neoprene gloves, an extendable magnet/flashlight, portable 'GeoBod' iPhone charger, my iPhone 6, small swag items, a geocoin that I will let visit the caches I find, lip balm, a small bottle of hand sanitiser, two pens, a Garmin eTrex 20 GPSr, nano log roller tool, and a printout of a Google Earth map that roughly shows locations of caches. And anything else that occurs to be between this evening and tomorrow morning. How about you? Do you go geocaching, with or without a TB bag?

Click image for larger version

Name:	caching kit twitter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	899.4 KB
ID:	311413
    So many bags. And I love them all.

I love geocaching! I'm pretty amateur, though. I take my S19 with water, snacks, pen, pencil and paper, notebook, iPhone (for GPS and camera, and music or audiobook if I'm by myself), knife or multi tool, extra clothes, first aid kit, matches, flashlight or headlamp, keys and an extra car key.

Most of my geocaching is done in the summer at the lake, so it's more like looking for caches while hiking. I've done some geocaching in the city but I don't get the same kick out of it.

Comment

Hi terayon, thanks for replying! I'm so nosy, I love finding out what other people carry. Like you, I prefer caching in less busy areas. Sometimes I have no choice (and London is good for finding lots of caches within a small area), but it's definitely less stressful and much prettier to do it in the countryside! I'm glad for the 'O' rings in TB bags that mean losing car keys is less of a hazard!

Comment

I'm not a geocacher (yet, anyway) but I just had to pop in and say: that's such an awesome packing list and photo! Lovely colors. Hope you have a blast tomorrow!
        Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

I geocache too! I prefer to combine it with hiking or cycling on trails (not much of an urban cacher) so usually take my Synapse 19. In there, I usually have:

water
          first aid kit (in the Iberian Dyneema 3D Clear Organizer Cube pictured)
          headlamp
          2 guardian lights (clear & red)
          my Side Effect (which contains my Clear Organizer Wallet, iPod, cell phone, mini FAK, pens & pencil, & pocket knife)
          snacks
          *other stuff, depending on other activities that I might be doing
          **depending on remoteness of area caching, I also sometimes pack survival gear, extra clothing, etc.

My geocaching-specific stuff is kept in a dedicated Wasabi Dyneema small yarn stuff sack, with a matching 16" keystrap. When I am caching, I hang it from the right shoulder strap of my S-19, suspended by the key strap (clipped to the outside clip on the yss) and drawstring of the yss, from a Grimlock locking D-ring carabiner (this hooks onto the webbing of the S-19 shoulder strap). This setup allows me to reach into the yss frequently to retrieve or replace geocaching stuff, without having to remove my backpack. When I bend forward to search on the ground for caches, the yss swings outward without getting in my way, and without tipping upside down. I don't bother cinching it closed, because nothing ever falls out of it.

My geocaching bag usually contains:

Garmin eTrex Legend
          Magellan eXplorist GC
          Rite in the Rain all-weather notebook
          pencils
          tweezers
          white tic tacs (strange addiction)
          spare batteries (not pictured)
          swag (not pictured)
          travel bugs, etc (not pictured)
          camera (not pictured)

I also like to take a trekking pole with me. I usually only use one (and give the other to my son or whoever might be with me).

Nice to meet some fellow cachers!

Name:	IMG_2793.JPG
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	295764

Name:	IMG_2794.JPG
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	295763

Name:	IMG_2792.JPG
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	295765

Name:	IMG_2791.JPG
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	295766
          Aeronaut 45; Synapse 19; Co-Pilot; PCBP & other packing cubes; Swift; 2 x Little Swifts; 3 x Side Effects; 5 Shop Bags; Small Cafe Bag; 6 Travel Trays; 5 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes; Cache ; Guardian Lights; 3 x 3D Clear Organizer Cubes; 3 x 3D All-Fabric Organizer Cubes; 4 Yarn Stuff Sacks; many Clear Organizer Wallets; many, many pouches; Cafe Messenger Stabilizer.

Comment

I can totally relate to your concern about dirtying your bag(s)... I have found that I am less concerned with Dyneema. In addition to what you listed, our "kit" also includes a small flashlight and a dental mirror...I hate "reaching into dark places" even with a disposable glove (also in the kit) so I figure the added weight of a light and mirror is well worth it. :-). Did you mention tweezers?

As far as which bag, lately it is bags within a shop bag---that way I can go minimalist (3D organizer) for a grab and run, or a PCSB with a more complete kit. The GPS and/or phone(s) are usually "attached" to someone and the outer pocket of the PCSB is a great place to store any maps/coordinate scrawlings. At one point we had a small magnifying glass, but that was "lost" along the way and we have not replaced it (yet). One shop bag pocket has sunscreen and bugstuff. There is plenty of room in the bag to keep additional items contained (hat, sunglasses, windbreaker, etc) and the other pocket is perfect for a bottle of water and/or snack(s).

In any case, geocaching is an awesome way to spend time outside--In August there is a big event at the Geocaching HQ, well worth the trip--and it is in Seattle so you can "double dip" by also visiting Tom Bihn. Definitely a trip worth taking...:-). GC5G4X5
            Last edited by Grandcache; 03-02-2015, 04:32 PM.
            Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Comment

Oh what a nice threat and Antonia, love your picture and especially your hat. This looks like a lot of fun.
              Lara, I will copy (on occasions) your way to hook a Yarn Stuff Sack to my Backpack. That looks very practical.

This thread might very well be a way to get my husband into this forum. When we where on a business trip in France (our cattle origin in France) he took a small time-gab between meetings and we went into the cutest narrow alley to find a cash hidden in a stone wall. I felt exited and self conscious at the same time because we went up and down this alley and it took a while till we found, what we where looking for.

Ilkyway
              “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

Thank you, Darcy! I did have a great day's caching - I made 14 finds today, which is a personal best. But even better was being able to be by the sea all day!

Name:	Walking on water (2).jpg
Size:	567.4 KB
ID:	295768

Comment

Hi Lara,

Wow, what a lovely kit! Thank you for sharing your bags and their contents. I'm hoping a yarn stuff sack will arrive this week along with my medium Café Bag this - but it's the tall yss in Solar, because I'm a knitter and was thinking of fitting knitting needles into it, not the stroke of genius you came up with by putting caching gear in there!

If I'm going anywhere slippery I also take a walking pole. I had an odd aversion to using one, but once I embraced the pole I've found it a lifesaver! It's also good for poking into stinging nettles, thorns, and other places you don't want to reach into - or can't reach!

Tweezers are a must! I have a 'nano log roller' tool which can double as tweezers - and did today when I needed to extract a tightly rolled log from a bison tube.

As you say, it's great to meet other cachers here!

Comment

Hi Grandcache,

Thank you for sharing your kit! Absolutely, a dental mirror is a must. I'm looking for one, but in the meantime am using the 'reverse camera' function on my phone to take furtive looks behind signposts, etc. I'm glad I'm not the only one afraid of dirtying my bag! I did get over it today, and my new bag even got rained on... *sigh* But it held up well!

You know, I have family who live in Edmonds, just north of Seattle. I had a fantastic trip to visit them on Oct. 2013 and they took me all over Washington and to the San Juan Islands and Portland and it was amazing. Imagine how I was kicking myself when I started geocaching in January 2014! I would *love* to visit HQ and Tom Bihn. I would have *no* money left when I left the factory! lol It may not be this year, but another trip to Washington is a must for me. I absolutely loved it. Happy caching to you!
                    Attached Files

Comment

@Antonia,

It took me just one outing to embrace the pole also; I'm done with getting cobwebs all over myself, and sticking my arm in places where who-knows-what might be hiding.

I'm going to have to get myself one of those nano-rollers, too. I usually manage to get those tiny logs rolled up and back in their containers without too much effort, but if something could make that job easier, I'm all for it!
                      Aeronaut 45; Synapse 19; Co-Pilot; PCBP & other packing cubes; Swift; 2 x Little Swifts; 3 x Side Effects; 5 Shop Bags; Small Cafe Bag; 6 Travel Trays; 5 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes; Cache ; Guardian Lights; 3 x 3D Clear Organizer Cubes; 3 x 3D All-Fabric Organizer Cubes; 4 Yarn Stuff Sacks; many Clear Organizer Wallets; many, many pouches; Cafe Messenger Stabilizer.

Comment

Hi Ilkyway!

lol I hope this thread lures your husband in, because it's becoming clear that TB and caching go together so well! Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad you like the picture! The hat is by a British clothing company called Joules. I like their stuff.

I found a cache in a stone wall today! They're always amusing. It's an oddly addictive hobby!

Comment

Hi Lara,

I know! It was almost a matter of pride not to carry a walking pole, but I soon learned that people carry them for a good reason! Now it lives in my car, ready to be employed at a moment's notice.

I got the nano log roller from GeoKnots GeoKnots Logsheet Roller, but I think lots of people have ingeniously devised their own. I haven't actually used it to re-roll a log yet, but today I did use it to extract one!

Comment

Here's my Daylight Backpack in caching mode today! It (and I) had just been rained/hailed on.

Name:	Daylight Backpack (2).jpg
Size:	673.2 KB
ID:	295771
                            Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful! I'm envious! I just might have to take a trip to the coast this weekend. What kind of bird is that on the pole? And congrats on all of the finds.
                              Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Working...
                              X