Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,766   Posts: 190,560   Members: 6,642   Active Members: 255
Welcome to our newest member, cleyon.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regular Cache in a Cadet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regular Cache in a Cadet?

I'm thinking about finally jumping into the Cadet, but I've got an existing (standard) Cache for my laptop, and don't want to waste it. I know the Cadet uses a special modified Cache - can I use the regular Cache with the bag, say with the inclusion of some Gatekeeper Rail Clips? Will that somehow disrupt the TSA-easyness of it?
    The TB Minimalist: Tri-Star & Brain Cell (for travel), Cadet & Cache (for work), PCSB (for play). A handful of key straps, organizer pouches, and shoulder straps.

Originally posted by ethosophical View Post
    I'm thinking about finally jumping into the Cadet, but I've got an existing (standard) Cache for my laptop, and don't want to waste it. I know the Cadet uses a special modified Cache - can I use the regular Cache with the bag, say with the inclusion of some Gatekeeper Rail Clips? Will that somehow disrupt the TSA-easyness of it?
    It's fine. You can always just pull out a regular cache. or, you could do a small job of sewing.

Comment

I sort of think I understand the difference between the two, but what makes the Cadet Cache different?
      The TB Minimalist: Tri-Star & Brain Cell (for travel), Cadet & Cache (for work), PCSB (for play). A handful of key straps, organizer pouches, and shoulder straps.

Comment

I sort of think I understand the difference between the two, but what makes the Cadet Cache different?
        The original Cadet released in Fall 2011 was one of the first bags to have a system of attaching a laptop cache that would easily slide out along two parallel webbing "rails". In that design, the rails were attached to the side of the Cadet, and there were two gatekeeper clips attached to webbing loops sewn onto the bottom of the cache that would allow the cache to slide up and down the rails.

Because this design was so successful, Tom Bihn explored ways of making it possible to slide caches out of a much wider group of bags -- specifically, so that you could slide caches holding out of backpacks, luggage, etc. as well as the Cadet briefcase. FOr this type of general use, it was easier to have the rails attached to the cache, and then just sew webbing loops that could be used to clip Gatekeeper clips into the various backpacks, travel bags, and briefcases.

So the original Cadet Cache, that can still be separately purchased, is for the Cadet bags made between 2011 and Fall 2013, where the rails of webbing are sewn (attached at the top and bottom of each webbing length) to the Cadet. What became the later standard Cache has webbing rails with the top and bottom ends sewn to the top and bottom seams of the Cache. These caches can be transferred between different current Tom Bihn bags, with the proviso that horizontally oriented caches can be transferred to bags where the cache goes in horizontally (e.g., briefcase style bags, or the Tri-Star, Pilot, Daylight Briefcase, etc.), while vertical caches are designed to be transferred between different backpack style bags.

There's a blog article that explains the way the new cache with rails works:

Most people are concerned with modifying the older design Cadets to work with the newer caches with built-in rails. @tpnl did this by sewing rails into his old Cadet (or possiblly, just clipping the existing rails against the walls and shortening them into loops that could hold Gatekeeper clips, since I think the spacing is correct). See this thread for details.

You could simply sew two parallel webbing strips to an existing cache at the correct spacing.

I frankly think it's fairly easy to just pull out the cache from the Cadet, even without rails. I actually prefer some of my earlier caches that were made pre-rails because they use a denser foam.

HTH.

moriond

Comment

Man, I always love the history in this forum.

Just double checking (my spacial reasoning must be totally off): does your reference to "the original Cadet" mean that if I buy a Cadet today, it will be designed to work with the current Caches that have rails on the back?

Comment

I found this picture taken by @Perseffect of how the cache with the rails looks - essentially 2 pieces of 1"wide webbing placed in parallel and 7" apart center to center. The top and bottom are sewn onto the cache material.

I agree with @moriond - it is so easy to take your laptop in and out. I also did not bother retrofitting my "original Cadet" with rail loops needed for the cache with rails system to work. In fact, my work laptop fits nicely in the pocket that is in the main compartment and like it there instead!

To answer your question, the new Cadet has the rail loops at the top of the main compartment and not the webbing rails that the older "original Cadet" version has (I have this version). If you buy a Cadet today, it will be designed to work with the current Caches that have rails on the back.

Your older cache will not work with the new setup in the Cadet unless you add the 2 webbing rails to your older Cadet as @moriond mentioned and the picture above shows. It is not hard to do. I actually did this to my Brain Cells (adding rails) so I had a Brain Cell with rails. Though the Brain Cell is not officially TSA compliant, I have never had an issue with it. See this link to what I did to the my Brain cells

http://forums.tombihn.com/general-ba...html#post60277

Again, this kind of work will void your warranty for that part of your cache. Oh ya - don't for get to get the Gatekeeper rail clips from the parts page.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
            Last edited by tpnl; 03-31-2015, 10:13 PM.
            TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Man, I always love the history in this forum.

Just double checking (my spacial reasoning must be totally off): does your reference to "the original Cadet" mean that if I buy a Cadet today, it will be designed to work with the current Caches that have rails on the back?
              That's correct. If you bought your cache within the last 2 years, it should already have rails on the back, and will work with current bags that support this system. They introduced the new design with the Synapse 25 in April 2013, and started migrating it to other bags by outfitting those bags with rail loops. The only caveat is that you need to have a horizontal cache with rails in order to use the rails system with the Cadet -- you can't grab the vertical cache from a Synapse and use it with the current model Cadets because the rails are running in the wrong direction. Also, not all bags that used to permit attaching horizontal Brain Cells were refitted with rail loops for the cache: the Tri-Star has them, in addition to Annex clips for inserting a Horizontal Brain Cell, but the Western Flyer only has the Annex Clips. The Aeronaut was never designed specifically for laptop carrying, so it also lacks rail loops.

But if you use another protective sleeve on your laptop, it's not hard to use the Cadet without a Cache with rails.

HTH

moriomd

Comment

Thanks moriond, all my questions answered and worries slaked.

Comment

Working...
                X