Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,581   Posts: 188,347   Members: 6,547   Active Members: 296
Welcome to our newest member, Troy715144.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frustrating issue with zipper material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another idea is to view the wear from a different perspective and be proud of the zipper patina which changes over time.
    In my research, there seems to be a lot of companies catering to the retro look using waxed canvas for that effect. One of my favorite bags, had this old beat up look which spoke well of fond memories :-)

Comment

All this zipper discussion brings up a question.

I recently bought a used Super Ego (black/steel with a blue interior if anyone can date it by that) that has very shiny zippers. Was there a time that the "waterproff" side of the zipper was very shiny (almost as if it had a coat of clear paint on it) or has that been modified at some point.

It also has a wider (2 inch?) strap versus the newer 1.5 inch straps. I wonder if somebody could date this bag and I'll have to contact the TB crew to see if I can get a wider Q-AM strap for this bag.
      When in trouble, obfuscate.

Comment

Originally posted by ceb View Post

I recently bought a used Super Ego (black/steel with a blue interior if anyone can date it by that) that has very shiny zippers. Was there a time that the "waterproff" side of the zipper was very shiny (almost as if it had a coat of clear paint on it) or has that been modified at some point.

It also has a wider (2 inch?) strap versus the newer 1.5 inch straps. I wonder if somebody could date this bag and I'll have to contact the TB crew to see if I can get a wider Q-AM strap for this bag.

First, thanks for the Aerospace 303 suggestion! I feel like I have new bags! Anyone whose old-style, teeth-inside zippers have faded a bit, go get yourself a package of 303 wipes and go to town. You will fall in love, all over again.

Second, to answer your question about the shiny zippers. They did exist at one time, though I don't know when they were discontinued. My 2005 Smart Alec has those zippers.

Comment

Here's where to buy the Aerospace 303 (just click the red text to the right), Amazon.com: 303 (30306) Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 32 fl. oz: Automotive
          There's lots of different size options from spray to wipes.

Comment

Originally posted by steeps View Post
            Here's where to buy the Aerospace 303 (just click the red text to the right), Amazon.com: 303 (30306) Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 32 fl. oz: Automotive
            There's lots of different size options from spray to wipes.
            I buy the big gallon bottle and dilute it with water 50/50 in a spray bottle. From the spray bottle it goes onto a rag or Q-tip.

I've used 303 on everything plastic, rubber or waterproof. It will clean up your dashboard nicely without leaving a shiny surface and works well on pleather/plastic/naugahyde/leatherette/MB-Tex (ie fake leather) seats found in cars - but - do not use a microfiber cloth when cleaning MB-Tex (MB-tex is the "leather" seats found in 95% of C and E class Mercedes Benz's) as microfiber cloths (regardless of the cleaning product used) will damage the surface of MB-tex.

Don't use 303 on hard plastics as it will leave a slight film (although that film is easily removed)

Comment

Originally posted by ceb View Post

Your Super Ego is an early one (original version) and I do not think they ever made a 2" Q-AM shoulder strap. The only solution I can think of is to get a 2" Cheater-D adaptor so your bag can use any shoulder strap with snaphooks. You could also then use a Absolute Shoulder Strap or a modified 1.5" Q-AM shoulder strap that can use snaphooks. As TB no longer makes the Cheater-D adaptors, I did find a place that had a 2" equivalent that was close:

http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-...tml#post101514

Here is a link to another post where I had some picture of my Q-AM shoulder strap adaptation to use TB snaphooks:

Q-AM strap with snaphooks

Hope this helps

Cheers!
              TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Originally posted by tpnl View Post
                Your Super Ego is an early one (original version) and I do not think they ever made a 2" Q-AM shoulder strap. The only solution I can think of is to get a 2" Cheater-D adaptor so your bag can use any shoulder strap with snaphooks. You could also then use a Absolute Shoulder Strap or a modified 1.5" Q-AM shoulder strap that can use snaphooks. As TB no longer makes the Cheater-D adaptors, I did find a place that had a 2" equivalent that was close:

http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-...tml#post101514

Here is a link to another post where I had some picture of my Q-AM shoulder strap adaptation to use TB snaphooks:

Q-AM strap with snaphooks

Hope this helps

Cheers!
                Thanks! I was wondering how I could modify the attachment from the 2 inch to the newer 1.5 inch. I far prefer the Q-AM strap over the others (I have an Ego that has the regular, Absolute and Q-AM straps and I only prefer the Absolute when not wearing it cross body.

Comment

I agree @ceb - I "absolutely" love the Q-AM shoulder strap when using it cross-body - using it courier style with my Pilot has really helped make sure I do not have a sore shoulder - like having a backpack and a briefcase in one. YMMV but it is really comfortable for me to wear in this way. If I need a stabilizer strap, I hook the end to same shoulder bag attachment point.

If you can, snap some pics if you do the modified attachment setup!

Cheers!
                  TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Originally posted by tpnl View Post
                    I agree @ceb - I "absolutely" love the Q-AM shoulder strap when using it cross-body - using it courier style with my Pilot has really helped make sure I do not have a sore shoulder - like having a backpack and a briefcase in one. YMMV but it is really comfortable for me to wear in this way. If I need a stabilizer strap, I hook the end to same shoulder bag attachment point.

If you can, snap some pics if you do the modified attachment setup!

Cheers!
                    I will. Thanks!. It might be a while though as I have to figure out a way to do that so it doesn't look Jerry-rigged (or Jury-rigged depending on what part of the country and what generation you are from)

Comment

Working...
                    X