Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,818   Posts: 191,201   Members: 6,712   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, toomuchlove.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acceptable European women's swimwear + double duty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acceptable European women's swimwear + double duty?

So I am trying to figure out the most efficient packing scheme for a variety of activities as I am trying to pack an A30 for a 3 week trip to Europe this summer (June). We are probably going to do some swimming in Iceland and maybe some public pools in France or Switzerland. I've read a number of things about the regulations in Iceland (nude showering before hand) and about rules for men's swimwear in France (both my husband and son are cringing at the idea of wearing tight skimpy suits). My question is about women's swimwear. I have a set of Patagonia swim shorts which are short but not particularly tight (photo below) (that I think I could also use for running and leave my running shorts at home), a pair of tight smaller swim shorts, a loose tankini top that could probably double as an extra tank top, and another bikini top that takes up less space. I am also considering buying a sports bra swim top instead like this.

A couple of questions:
    • Would any of these options be "not allowed" in the places I am thinking about swimming? Or look really out of place?
    • Could any of the sports bra-like swim tops double as an actual sports bra for running?
    • Or vice-versa? Is there a sports bra out there that could "pass" as a swim top in these places?

Do any of you worldly active types have any good suggestions and experience paring down this part of your travel kit? Oh, and do I have to basically throw away any swimsuit I wear in Iceland?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0575.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	312354
    A30 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, PCSB Iberian, S19 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, SE Forest/UV, SCB Orange 152/Navy , A30 End Pocket PC Steel Dyneema, TSS in various sizes: Solar, Iberian, Wasabi, Steel, and Zest. 3D COC Orange 152, COP Cayenne, Small OP Solar, COW Wasabi, LSB Wasabi, SSB Zest, PCBP Steel, TT Zest,

I can't address your questions about continental Europe, but you won't need to throw swim gear away after Iceland. Depending on where you're going, it'll take on a sulfur smell that will wash out after a couple of washes... probably after you leave Iceland, since the tap water in Reykjavik has a milder version of the mineral/sulfur tang of the baths.

I took a bikini. I chose one that was inexpensive and fairly unremarkable, since bikinis aren't really my thing, and took out the cup inserts and left them at home. That left me with something quick-drying that I could fold small and put in a snaplock sandwich bag with the air squeezed out.

Note, though, that my active swimming in Iceland was limited to one length of the Art Deco Sundhöll Reykjavíkur (near Hallgrimskírkja, with hot water warming the outside steps up to the hot baths, which is true civilisation on a cold morning ). The rest was sitting around in various hot pools and talking. If laps are your thing you'll probably have some functional requirements that'll require "more".

If you're in doubt about what'll fit in, do a Google image search for the name of each set of baths you know you'll be going to, and look at what the people are wearing.

Comment

For seimming your options are absolutly fine. Running in a sportsbra I am not sure about. I am not saying it can't be done but it might look odd depending on where you are running. Maybe have a t-shirt as a backup option and than have a look around before you run in a sports bra. I have seen that at beaches, woodtrails and such but not in the citys.

Ilkyway
      “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Comment

I agree with Ilkyway on the sports bra, I would wear a t-shirt or top over it out in public. I think you mostly see that look in the gym, less on the streets.

My experience with public pools in Brittany - they are strict about enforcing the rules. So everything you read about men's swimwear for sure, but no board shorts for the women either. And everyone has to wear a bathing cap! We bought cheap ones locally, because we didn't own any.

Comment

Thanks for the input!

@Ilkyway and b1gsky I definitely have a tank or T-shirt to wear on top of it (and wouldn't wear just the sports bra to run in), it is just that my "normal" Ibex bralette isn't really supportive enough to run in. I'm not convinced a sports bra swimsuit would be either, just trying to figure out any possible way to consolidate and pack less! Hadn't heard about the swim caps, so that is helpful. Do you think the patagonia shorts would work? They are definitely not board shorts but they are also not tight on the legs (look a bit more like a short swim skirt than shorts). Those would definitely be the most versatile bottom as they are modest (and comfortable) enough that I could run in them.

@Hanaper Thanks for the information on Iceland. I am also definitely more of a "sit in the hot water and soak" kind of person too. I am actually not much of a swimmer in general (much more a runner and hiker for my active things!) but my boys are and I am definitely looking forward to the warm water in Iceland! The small bikini is an option (though I don't own any small bikini bottoms currently!). The reason I want the support is not for swimming but possibly for running. Maybe I should just suck it up and pack both running and swimming gear, but I am just trying to save a little space for souvenirs!
          A30 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, PCSB Iberian, S19 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, SE Forest/UV, SCB Orange 152/Navy , A30 End Pocket PC Steel Dyneema, TSS in various sizes: Solar, Iberian, Wasabi, Steel, and Zest. 3D COC Orange 152, COP Cayenne, Small OP Solar, COW Wasabi, LSB Wasabi, SSB Zest, PCBP Steel, TT Zest,

Comment

I'm not sure. They didn't want anything that looked like you could have worn it out in the street. There were many people going from beach to restaurant in the same shorts and I guess they don't want that for the public pools.

Comment

Reinforcing what b1gsky said: having looked at some of the info on French bathing suit requirements, I think the basic issue is that they don't want people wearing gear in the pool that they could also wear outside the pool. Now, maybe you could find something that technically "passes", but I think it'd be more in the spirit of the thing to find something to be your dedicated European bathing suits.

Comment

@Hanaper Their reasoning totally makes sense and if I do something like I am proposing I'd definitely wash in between. I'll see if maybe there is somewhere else I can cut down as well to make room for both workout gear and swim gear. Less underwear maybe? [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I always pack this suit from tyr: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003UN...jsL&ref=plSrch

It is inexpensive, it packs into nothing, and it is euro and us appropriate. I'd go ahead and pack the run shorts and a sports bra. If you have a thin wool t-shirt, you have a shirt to run in and wear causally.

Have fun! Sounds like a fantastic trip.

Comment

That looks like a good one. I normally prefer a bit more coverage on the bottom, but might have to sacrifice modesty for space!

Comment

Yeah I tried wearing a one piece or bikini "shorts" twice in Germany/ Italy. Those are now my US only suits. I felt more conspicuous in them than in the tyr one, which is still relatively modest by euro standards imo.

Comment

Originally posted by trailrunner View Post
                        That looks like a good one. I normally prefer a bit more coverage on the bottom, but might have to sacrifice modesty for space!
                        @trailrunner, Couldn't you get a different style Bikini bottom from the same manufacturer, if you can't find the suit combo that you'd ideallY like to use? For example, looking on the Amazon site, this high waist Bikini Bottom that is also made by TyR looks compatible with the linked suit model that was previously discussed, but provides more coverage (and might also be more flexible for some other, non-swimming uses).

moriond

Comment

@moriond That bottom would definitely be better for swimming modesty, but I don't think I'd use it for anything else!

Comment

Whoa. I didn't even think about international swimsuit conventions when I went to Germany last year - just blithely packed a Tyr practice suit that wasn't see-through yet. I didn't end up swimming anywhere either, but I'm relieved to learn that my choice would have passed muster in most places. Also, it took up almost no space in my luggage.

Comment

I don't have swimwear that could do double duty, so I never had an issue with this myself. I just pack my Freya bikini which is both practical for real swimming and looks pretty on the beach. The top is available in bra sizes, with straps that cross in the back and the bottoms are cut quite conservative. The cups aren't padded, so although it has wires it doesn't take up that much room. Of course my practice suit would take a bit less space, but I don't like to wear that one for leisure swimming or on the beach, I guess I'm just vain when it comes to that.
                              Last edited by b1gsky; 04-26-2016, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X