Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,818   Posts: 191,201   Members: 6,712   Active Members: 264
Welcome to our newest member, toomuchlove.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible tablet and laptop ban on flights from Europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible tablet and laptop ban on flights from Europe?

Has anyone heard anything about this rumor?

Please let it only be a rumor!

I have a flight coming up and I can't imagine what I'd do if this were to be true.

**Disclaimer: I am not The Travel Expert so what I say here may not be completely accurate.**

Unfortunately, it's probably not a rumor. I believe a formal announcement will be made today; I am also following this with interest to see which countries and carriers will be subject to the ban, because from what I've read, it may not be a blanket ban (which is all kinds of messed up).

And it's not just laptops and tablets—the ban covers any electronic device larger than a smartphone: Kindles/Nooks/Kobos, Nintendo DSs, video cameras, portable scanners and DVD players.

Every day I feel more and more like we're all living in an episode of Black Mirror.

Comment

Yes, this is being reported in a wide variety of reputable places, and an announcement is likely coming by this weekend, unless it is retracted.

I actually called my senators and representative today. ("You're probably getting a lot of calls about Russia and James Comey, but..."). I should have done so when the ban between some Middle Eastern airports and the US was implemented, but I was (still am) suffering from a level of fatigue regarding the current political situation.

In my calls, I asked for a risk assessment weighing the supposed terrorist threat versus the very real chance of a fire started by lithium ion batteries. I believe the FAA last year noted 33 in-cabin fires started by lithium ion batteries; these were quickly spotted and easily extinguished because they were accessible, that is, in the cabin with people. In the cargo hold, not so much. It also seems to me that various agencies are just admitting the current security theater is nothing more than theater.

A Reuters report yesterday noted (ahem): "The Trump administration is likely to expand a ban on laptops on commercial aircraft to include some European countries, but is reviewing how to ensure lithium batteries stored in luggage holds do not explode in midair." Um, yeah. Do that last part first.

Anyway, sorry, I am very passionate about this. It is another step of trying to instill fear, trying to close down the free movement of people and close borders by other means, and installing policies that put political expediency over real safety. In comparison to everything else that is happening, an electronics ban is maybe small fry, but it shouldn't go unquestioned. The liquids ban is an inconvenience, but this is substituting one (unnamed, unexplained, unknown) threat for an actually documented safety hazard.

Flyertalk has several active threads; One Mile at a Time has also posted useful links.

Comment

I have a work trip next month (I'm a speechwriter, it's a very large event with 32k people) via Paris. The idea of checking my laptop is horrifying.

If this happens I really, really hope TB will restart Brain Cell production. It doesn't help with the risk of lithium battery fires, or lost luggage, but at least it makes it more likely that laptops would still be usable at the other end.

Comment

My understanding is that this has nothing to do with the Lithium Batteries and everything to do with newer compact high energy explosives that are being developed by the bad guys.
          I have this understanding as this is exactly what I have heard stated on several news outlets.

Whether true or not or just another way toease us into further restrictions in the air and on the ground I can not say but it is getting tougher and tougher to understand and accept much of the stuff that it is claimed we are now facing?

Bad news whatever the reason.

Comment

Yes, @AVService, is correct that the supposed threat is high energy explosives that could be hidden in larger electronics; those explosives would be activated manually and used to try to cause a hull breach or fire.

But by removing that supposed threat, you are putting electronics with lithium ion batteries into the cargo hold, which is already considered to be a safety threat. The FAA has nifty details on recent fires caused by such batteries.

There are also the issues of data security and wider effects on the US travel/hospitality industry should this be implemented, which means it maybe warrants a lot more study.

Comment

Though the Brain Cell provides excellent protection in daily use, we wouldn’t recommend using it to check a laptop (and we wouldn’t do that ourselves). Crazy things happen to checked bags. If one needs to check their laptop, we’d recommend using a crush-proof solution — something akin to a Zero-Halliburton or Pelican case.
              Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                Though the Brain Cell provides excellent protection in daily use, we wouldn’t recommend using it to check a laptop (and we wouldn’t do that ourselves). Crazy things happen to checked bags. If one needs to check their laptop, we’d recommend using a crush-proof solution — something akin to a Zero-Halliburton or Pelican case.
                I have one of these but I hate to check regardless though I have and all was OK.

NiteCruzer 2 Carry-On Laptop Case by CaseCruzer

Or I bring a Toughbook.
                Last edited by AVService; 05-11-2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

The welcome button is nice, but TB needs to add a "shocked" button.

I just saw this and came back here to see what this thread was about. This pretty much ruins my plans for an enjoyable visit to the UK this fall. All I want to take is my phone, my Kindle and my noise-cancelling earphones, as carryon. Apparently the Kindle will have to be checked, and as far as I know, insurance/airline's compensation won't cover electronics despite the bans.

This is also going to create complete havoc in my workplace.
                  And everyone else's, I suppose.

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                  **Disclaimer: I am not The Travel Expert so what I say here may not be completely accurate.**

Unfortunately, it's probably not a rumor. I believe a formal announcement will be made today; I am also following this with interest to see which countries and carriers will be subject to the ban, because from what I've read, it may not be a blanket ban (which is all kinds of messed up).

And it's not just laptops and tablets—the ban covers any electronic device larger than a smartphone: Kindles/Nooks/Kobos, Nintendo DSs, video cameras, portable scanners and DVD players.

Every day I feel more and more like we're all living in an episode of Black Mirror.
                  ----
                  All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                  Edmund Burke

Comment

And unfortunately, this is making me reconsider the purchase of an Aeronaut 45 for upcoming travel this summer. I really wanted to go without checking a bag, and now that I may have to, I'll use a piece of hardsided luggage I already have. Not happy about this possibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

For some Middle Eastern airlines, they were providing containers for the electronics that received special handling. If this really goes through, maybe the same concession will be made by European airlines.

Anyone know if Brazil>US flights are still ok? I know people flying next week who won't be happy if they have to check their iPads...

Final thought: I wonder what this means for checked bag fees.
                      Last edited by bchaplin; 05-11-2017, 02:33 PM.
                      ----
                      All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
                      Edmund Burke

Comment

Oh goodness. I've emailed my Congresspeople--I'm told that phoning does more good than email, but email does more good than social media, and email is what I have the oomph for right now. I too am still feeling some political fatigue and so I didn't speak up about the initial laptop ban.
                        I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Comment

Gah! I really hope this doesn't go through. My mind is whirring in a panic for when we go to Ireland and have no way to bring our work. But if it does, I may do something like this:

option A: Leave MacBook running at home connected so I can remote in using Jump Desktop or something else. I'd need to rent or borrow a computer in Ireland to get to my own stuff. Or, use Jump Desktop from my phone, which is possible but painful.

option B: Create a bootable Carbon Copy Clone of my entire Mac, and bring it with me on a hard drive. (Are portable hard drives allowed, I hope?). Rent or borrow a machine while in Ireland, booting off my own hard drive so I have all my applications and data.

Also, I'd bring a Chromecast so that I could project my iphone onto a TV screen so I could see stuff more easily.

Any documents I'd need will go in the cloud so they can be accessed from a borrowed machine. I already do that with Onedrive, Evernote, and Google Docs. Adobe has mobile apps which I have on my phone for simple stuff, but all my design projects I wouldn't be able to use without a full fledged computer.

I only have 1 MacBook Pro, and there's no way I'd risk it getting lost or damaged by putting it in a checked bag. And I HATE the idea of going back to the hassle of checked luggage. If I had to check a computer, I'd probably buy a cheap second hand one and run it off my bootable drive.

(A great business for someone would be to rent computers by the day or week at airports.)
                          Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

Comment

Today's "update"... Nothing conclusive. Based on the ill thought out implementation of previous bans, it may be a good idea to have some sort of back up plan in case protocols change abruptly...:-(

U.S. weighs a ban on laptops on flights from Europe - LA Times
                            Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
                              Apparently the Kindle will have to be checked, and as far as I know, insurance/airline's compensation won't cover electronics despite the bans.
                              The travel insurer I use, one of the biggest in New Zealand, has recently said they will cover electronics in checked baggage on those routes where they can't be taken in the cabin. I'm guessing this will eventually impact the cost of insurance.
                              A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Comment

Working...
                              X