Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,494   Posts: 187,451   Members: 6,454   Active Members: 329
Welcome to our newest member, bored_and_agitated.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tom Bihn Boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• autolycus
    replied
    I use the bottom half of a Tom Bihn box (top cut off along the fold line) as a Lego construction workspace while I’m watching tv. The edges do a nice job of keeping all the pieces contained.

Leave a comment:

• Salmanila8
    replied
    Originally posted by backpack View Post

Where do you find quality sheets?

I have been scouring the interweb and it looks like every review of new sheets from many retailers, is the same, the sheets are flimsy, scratchy, wrinkly disasters.
    Two of my favorite sheet sets are Calvin Klein branded ones I sourced from TJMaxx nearly a decade ago. I think they're only 300 thread count, but have softened up with every wash.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by kjquilts View Post
    I'm so happy I kept my Tom Bihn boxes. They are such high quality I couldn't cut them up and put them in the recycle bin so I stashed them in various hidey places. I've spent the last couple days working on cleaning out a couple closets/cupboards and decided to put the boxes into service.

I downsized the sheet collection. Kept one set that is on the bed and two spare sets and tossed or donated the rest. A queen top sheet, queen fitted bottom with the ends that go over thick mattress and two pillow cases fit perfectly in the larger TB box so that took care of two boxes. Another large box holds placemats and tablecloths not used too often. One of the smaller boxes holds 5 yards of really beautiful white material I bought many years ago (great sale price) and totally forgot. It's really long, maybe for curtains ?? Another holds card table covers and another assorted small items.

All boxes are labeled on one of the blank ends using painters tape so if I change contents boxes are still usable. Best thing is that two large boxes with three small boxes next to them fit perfectly in the bottom cupboard of an old pine entertainment center that tv in our bedroom sits on. Still have available TB boxes so I'll keep working on the destash or properly store project.

Happy February 1st !

Karen
    Where do you find quality sheets?

I have been scouring the interweb and it looks like every review of new sheets from many retailers, is the same, the sheets are flimsy, scratchy, wrinkly disasters.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Some years ago, I repurposed a big Tom Bihn box for a yarn stash I gathered on travel.

Recently, a couple of small ones helped putting away stuff from my desk.

I also gathered needlework pieces into a couple of big Tom Bihn boxes, in order to protect them and find out how much unused canvas I had left, not much.

Love those boxes.

Leave a comment:

• NYCWriter
    replied
    We are all so quick to buy new plastic boxes for storage when - aside from the obvious benefit of repurposing something you already have - cardboard is so comfortingly organic and old-fashioned.

Most of the time, the stuff we're storing doesn't really need to be hermetically sealed anyway.

And as a bonus - because I tend to be overly-sentimental about these things - there's something extra-special about the markings on the box that will always be a memory of what it once first contained.

Back in the '70s, my mother sold Princess House crystal and china. Almost daily we would get UPS deliveries (back when that was quite a big deal) of those brown boxes with "Princess House" prominently stamped in hunter green cursive font.

Mom of course repurposed those boxes over the years for holiday decorations and other storage.

Decades later, the boxes themselves have become heirlooms.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I love my Tom Bihn boxes! A few of them have artwork on them, which I treasure. My family knows that when I use them for gift giving, they must give the box back to me to use again.

I also use them for yarn storage under my bed. They are perfect to separate out a number of skeins for a specific project.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7583.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	307911
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7584.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	307912

Leave a comment:

• AlaskaGirl
    replied
    Greetings,
    Those are great ideas! For the last two years, I've been wrapping presents and gifts in Tom Bihn boxes.

They are sturdy and re-useable, especially if I am careful not to put tape directly on the box. It only takes an extra minute to wrap the box when I'm just affixing the tape to the wrapping paper. elisa

Leave a comment:

• nsh
    replied
    Karen, I think this is such a fantastic way to re-purpose the boxes. We use our boxes to store holiday ornaments!

Leave a comment:

• kjquilts
    started a topic Tom Bihn Boxes

Tom Bihn Boxes

I'm so happy I kept my Tom Bihn boxes. They are such high quality I couldn't cut them up and put them in the recycle bin so I stashed them in various hidey places. I've spent the last couple days working on cleaning out a couple closets/cupboards and decided to put the boxes into service.

I downsized the sheet collection. Kept one set that is on the bed and two spare sets and tossed or donated the rest. A queen top sheet, queen fitted bottom with the ends that go over thick mattress and two pillow cases fit perfectly in the larger TB box so that took care of two boxes. Another large box holds placemats and tablecloths not used too often. One of the smaller boxes holds 5 yards of really beautiful white material I bought many years ago (great sale price) and totally forgot. It's really long, maybe for curtains ?? Another holds card table covers and another assorted small items.

All boxes are labeled on one of the blank ends using painters tape so if I change contents boxes are still usable. Best thing is that two large boxes with three small boxes next to them fit perfectly in the bottom cupboard of an old pine entertainment center that tv in our bedroom sits on. Still have available TB boxes so I'll keep working on the destash or properly store project.

Happy February 1st !

Karen
Working...
X