Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,623   Posts: 188,925   Members: 6,609   Active Members: 294
lammy
Forum Member
Welcome to our newest member, lammy.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tom Bihn's usage of AccessiBe (why that's not a good idea)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom Bihn's usage of AccessiBe (why that's not a good idea)

EDIT: I previously posted a message that mistakenly identified the overlay being used as AccessiBe, not EqualWeb as they are very similar. I’ve modified the message to use EqualWeb.

I noticed that Tom Bihn uses EqualWeb to shield their website from ADA/Unruh lawsuits. Though I’m disabled myself, I don’t have a need for anything EqualWeb claims they provide, but several other disabled people I know do, and have said many times that EqualWeb is not a good solution to provide access for them. I know many of them, at this point, whenever they find an EqualWeb (or any overlay) prompt on a page they enter, will just hit the back button and find another website - so it might even have the opposite effect that you intend.

I assume Tom Bihn cares about disabled people and their access to their website, and maybe hasn’t been educated on why EqualWeb is the wrong solution. I’ve got several links below:

There’s a web of links of additional supporting evidence in the links I shared above, but hopefully this should convince you that EqualWeb doesn’t achieve the goal that I assume you’re paying them to achieve, which is to improve your website’s accessibility. With the amount of money you’re paying, you can almost certainly get an actual consultant, ideally one who has the disabilities you’re trying to provide access for, and can give you practical feedback and advice based on the tools that currently exist and their own experience. It’s unfortunately not as easy as adding a couple lines of code as EqualWeb and others claim it is, but it’s very worth it. But please please please stop using EqualWeb and start providing actual access.
    aeiro
    Forum Member
    Last edited by aeiro; 03-03-2021, 12:08 PM.

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us aeiro and welcome to the Forums. Our goal is to comply with WCAG 2.1 standards up to Level AA. Effective web accessibility is a constant process. Therefore, we add new accessibility features and modify existing accessibility features on an ongoing basis. Please see our Accessibility page for more information: https://www.tombihn.com/pages/accessibility

Our intention with EqualWeb was to provide an additional layer of accessibility features. After reading through the information that you shared with us, we are concerned that it is not helping. We are evaluating EqualWeb based on your feedback. If any users reading this preferred the EqualWeb experience, we invite you to [email protected] — if you have a TOM BIHN account, we can manually adjust the account so that EqualWeb will appear as an option for you.

If anyone else has additional feedback or would like to share their experiences with EqualWeb or accessibility on our website, we welcome you to [email protected] or give us a call at 1-800-729-9607 (please leave a voicemail and we will return your call promptly; our customer service crew is working remotely.)
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Working...
    X