Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,581   Posts: 188,347   Members: 6,547   Active Members: 296
Welcome to our newest member, Troy715144.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netbook advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ltsching
    replied
    I initially got the ASUS 1000HE (highly rated at Amazon) that came with Windows XP. I don't use Windows so I installed Ubuntu on it and it worked ok. My main usage was to watch movie files using VLC and it worked well not to mention the great battery life and useable keyboard. However, I returned the ASUS because of the fan noise and the OS. I am a Mac user so I purchased a refurbished Dell Mini 9 and installed Mac OS on it and am loving it. The build quality of the Dell is quite good although the keyboard could be small for everyday typing. I certainly would not use it only for writing. I also read that the new Samsung N110 is quite nice.

Leave a comment:

• rabergnc
    replied
    I am using a MSI WInd U100 (current model is U120 or 123). I really like it. Great keyboard. Works great with Windows 7 - comes with XP Home. I have the 6 cell version which has 5+ hour battery life - (3 cell version is a bit less than 3 hours). The Dell Mini has gotten really good reviews - you can find some good deals at the Dell Outlet website (refurbished, sold but never used, open box, etc - most come with new machine warrantee). I also have heard really good things about the HP 10 inch models - perhaps the best keyboards - and the newer ASUS 10 inch machines - they used to have some keyboard problems. All have comparable specs. The machines listed have good keyboards. All have little quirks - the Wind I have has a slightly smaller trackpad that takes a bit of getting used to, for example. Whichever you choose, I'd suggest making sure it has a mechanical hard disk drive rather than a solid state one. On the netbooks, the solid state disks tend to be a bit slower (especially for the early Acers) than mechanical hard drives. If you can, go to a Best Buy or Office Depot type store to test drive the keyboards if the machines are available as that will have the biggest impact on your experience.
    Last edited by rabergnc; 05-22-2009, 03:29 PM. Reason: corrections

Leave a comment:

• scotlib
    replied
    Hi pretzelb,

My Dell Mini 9 came out of the box yesterday! No clue what I am really doing with it yet, but I am looking forward to figuring it out.

The figuring out part is mostly because I bought it with Linux instead of Windows. Out of the box it looks very easy, so far.

My focus is travel, which is why I went with the smallest mini instead of a larger one.

A thread on <a href="http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/25931/best-netbooks.html" target="_blank">the RS site</a> about netbooks lasted from January to April, perhaps you could find some useful info in it.

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• pretzelb
    started a topic Netbook advice

Netbook advice

Any netbook users care to share some advice on buying a new one? The better half finally thinks having one would be useful for working on school papers so we may get one. I thought Asus and HP were the leaders but seems like I saw a review that put Acer on top a while ago.

Mostly I'd like something easy to use so good keyboard and touchpad is first. After that a good battery life would be nice. I don't think large hard drive is needed or lots of RAM.
Working...
X