Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,302   Posts: 197,944   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 177
Welcome to our newest member, MollyyEvelynn.

LED flashlights and batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mboytim
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2010

Another option for a small LED flashlight is the Twist light from Brookstone or the Eco Twist from campingsurvival.com. I have the Twist as an emergency light for my car as I always find that when I need one, inevitably the batteries in are dead. It puts out a decent amount of light for about 5 minutes with 30 seconds of twisting. I am not sure if either is made in the US.
    Bags: Crimson/Black Checkpoint Flyer, Indigo Brain Bag, Indigo Synapse, Punch/Wasabi Medium Cafe Bag and Plum Side Effect- along with various organizer pouches.

Comment

• bltkmt
      Forum Member
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by moriond View Post
      Hi,

I thought this 4Sevens LED light might be of interest, although it doesn't match the OP's requirement for a USA-made light. Doug Dyment recently updated the Tool's page of his OneBag.com site for his recommended travel lights. Of the Quark MiNi AA, he states:

The Quark MiNi series debuted before Christmas, with small LED lights using AA and CR123 batteries (there's also a MiNi 123). Unboxing pictures of the Quark MiNi AA may be viewed at the survivaltoday site. 4Sevens is in Atlanta, Georgia, but their Quark lights are made in China. More details about the light may be found by following the link to the tools page of the OneBag site.

moriond
      I have a few of the 4Sevens lights and love them. Good quality at a fair price.
      --------------------------------

Comment

• MtnMan
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2009

Here's another wrinkle to throw into our living room rug!

NEWS FLASH!

I learned a few weeks ago from the Daily Giz Wiz (techno-geek podcast from Dick Bartolo and Leo Laporte, check out edition #1,021 from 7 Feb. 2010) that a new battery technology has just arrived on the market. It's called NiZn: Nickel Zinc, and it's from a company called Powergenix.

These new PowerGenix NiZn cells currently come in AA size only (AAA's on the way) and they require a special charger. These NiZn's are supposed to surpass non-rechargable alkaline batteries in their charge capacity and they are supposed to hold a charge better than any NiCad or NiMH cells on the market. (These NiZn's put out 1.6 volts, as opposed to NiCad and NiMH's, which put out only 1.2.)

This could make flashlights, digital cameras, recorders, wall clocks and other battery-powered devices more compatible than ever with rechargeable battery technology.

According to Bartolo and Laporte, you can get a deal on these batteries if you shop on Amazon.
        Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Comment

• MtnMan
          Forum Member
          • Jul 2009

Update: I recently purchased, received and started using my new NiZn batteries and charger.

My first challenge for these batteries was a Canon PowerShot A720 IS digital camera, a camera that eats batteries for breakfast. Thus far, I am impressed with how a pair of these PowerGenix batteries work in the A720 IS. Normally, this camera would quickly drain either Alkalines or ordinary rechargeables. Not so far with the PowerGenix batteries.

I'm also trying the PowerGenix batteries in some old incandescent flashlights. Not enough experience with them yet to report.

At this point, PowerGenix only offers the NiZn batteries in "AA" size. "AAA" size batteries are supposed to be released for sale later this year.

FYI, I bought my PowerGenix batteries and chargers from Accessory Genie via Amazon.
          Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Comment

• ex machina
            Forum Member
            • Dec 2008

This is very interesting, MtnMan. Tnx for posting this info.
            Bags: Latest: Pop Tote and Shop Bag (large) ; also have a Co-Pilot, Super Ego (w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut; Medium Cafe Bag; Large Cafe Bag; Brain Cell; Shop Bag small, (Steel); Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. Accessories: Oh yeah, bunches.
            Sadly Lost to Hazmat: An Imago in Steel/Cork & MCB in Linen/Olive.
            " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Comment

• MtnMan
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2009

So far, the only device that has not taken to using NiZn batteries is my Kensington PilotMouse Mini Bluetooth. I'm baffled by this. Everything else is running fine off these new batteries.

Comment

• MtnMan
                Forum Member
                • Jul 2009

Important Update:

It's been at least two months since I purchased NiZn batteries and chargers branded from PowerGenix through Amazon / Accessory Genie.

In that time, I have only had to recharge the batteries used in power-hungry digital cameras (Canon PowerShot A720 IS, Olympus Camedia C-3020Z, Canon PowerShot S2 IS ultra-zoom) on a couple of occasions. Amazing!

There is one caveat I've found: flashlights with traditional incandescent bulbs tend to burn out much more rapidly, especially if you install freshly charged NiZns. This has happened to three old flashlights so far. Probably the best bet is to use newer LED flashlights that are rated to handle high-power batteries.

LED lights I've seen tend to use AAA-sized batteries, as opposed to AA's. As of this moment, PowerGenix is not selling any AAA's to the public. I just received a message from PowerGenix today. They told me that AAA-sized NiZn's are expected be available to the public for sale sometime in August.

I haven't messed with the Kensington bluetooth mouse since my last report on it. I intend to do so soon.

That's all for now.

Comment

• camry
                  Forum Member
                  • May 2010

I like SureFire flashlights and I use SureFire G2 LED flashlight. The output is 120 Lumens, very bright and can temporarily blind your eyes if you look at it. You have to use two 123A Lithium batteries and all SureFire flashlights are made in USA. I bought my at LA Police Gear.

Comment

• MtnMan
                    Forum Member
                    • Jul 2009

Are they rechargeable?

Comment

• camry
                      Forum Member
                      • May 2010

Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
                      Are they rechargeable?
                      No, but you can buy the rechargeable conversion kits and you can converts G2 into Ni-Cad rechargeable flashlight. But it cost $100. I bought my G2 LED at LA Police Gear and they gave me 8 free SureFire 123A Lithium battries and their battries have 10-year shelf life. So I don't think is worth it to buy the rechargeable conversion kits.

Here is the rechargeable conversion kits web site http://www.surefire.com/KR1-BK-Recha...Conversion-Kit

Comment

• MtnMan
                        Forum Member
                        • Jul 2009

Update: PowerGenix has still not released any AAA-sized NiZn battery products. I sent an inquiry to them about it, but they did not respond. I have no idea what this means.

The NiZn batteries I purchased work as advertised.

Comment

• Twitchy
                          Forum Member
                          • Jul 2010

A quick note about the SureFire lights.... make sure you buy the LED version or get the LED conversion kit. The standard bulbs will run down a set of 2x123A batteries within an hour. The LEDs will be much easier on your batteries ( i think its something like 5 hours).

Also, given the cost of your Surefire I would recommend you only put in quality batteries. I had a metal 6P that exploded on me cos the batteries were substandard... I kid you not.
                          Last edited by Twitchy; 11-29-2010, 02:28 AM. Reason: Bad spelling

Comment

• MtnMan
                            Forum Member
                            • Jul 2009

UPDATE

My experience with Nickel-Zinc (NiZn) rechargeable batteries (from Powergenix) has officially become a disaster. Today, I attended a Civilian Conservation Corps statue dedication at the PA. Lumber Heritage Museum and wound up going through just about every AA battery in every device in my backpack just to get one camera working. It was exasperating. I kept coming up with either dead or dying batteries.

I bought a few dozen batteries and special NiZn chargers in the Spring of 2010, and now most of them are unreliable. I'm seriously considering a (costly) switch to Sanyo Eneloops. As I understand it, Eneloops (premium Nickel-Metal-Hydride-based batteries) are available in both AA and AAA sizes, are known for holding a charge for a very long time, and have a great reputation.

I use AA batteries for digital cameras (they eat batteries like you would not believe!), GPS receiver, flashlights, clocks, walkie-talkies, and a handheld audio recorder. I use AAA batteries for a wall-mounted caller ID unit, headband-mounted LED lights, and more walkie-talkies. I understand that Eneloops are available in both AA and AAA sizes and, as I said above, they supposedly have a good rep.

Can anyone comment on these?

Comment

• AVService
                              Forum Member
                              • May 2006

Mtn

I have been using Eneloops i my Canon Flashes for a while now and they are as good as claimed for me.
                              I bought 24 AA's and a Maha computerized charger to start with and they are great.
                              I have them numbered in groups of 4 and rubber banded together for easy tracking.
                              I have used them in cheap Point & Shoot cameras too for event work and they are reliable for me.

The best feature is that if you don't use them for a long time and them pick them back up they will have the same charge they had when you left them.
                              They really do.

I have not tried them in LED lights yet,can't really say why?
                              I find it a pain really I suppose to charge and track them for daily light use I guess.

Search at Fred Miranda and Photo on the Net and research about them thats what I did.

Ed

Comment

• MtnMan
                                Forum Member
                                • Jul 2009

Thanks for the quick reply!

Which Maha charger model do you use?

Comment

Working...
                                X