Travel Battery Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Battery Recommendation

This is likely a niche item, and maybe very niche given how few folks airline travel now, but wanted to pass it along as it's been a fantastic edition to my travel arsenal: The Goal Zero Sherpa 100PD Power Bank. It's a travel battery for your laptop, phones, etc.

For those that don't know, Goal Zero makes residential-sized portable electric power stations, i.e., battery+inverter w/ all the charging sweet stuff (high speed chargers, car kits, etc).

Here are the pros & cons to decide if it's right for you:

Cons:
    • Pricy: $200
    • Heavy: 1.4 Lbs
    • Big: 7.5 x 3.7 x 1.0 in
    Pros:
    • Largest airline approved Li-ion battery @ 95Wh (under the 100Wh carry-on limit)
    • Power Delivery (PD) 60W output, i.e., charges MacBooks and everything else high speed - works great on my 16" MacBook Pro!
    • Wireless Qi charging! Set it on a desk, turn on Qi, set your phone on top, done! Or slide your phone next to it in your bag - no wires!
    • Simultaneous recharge and discharge, so if you're near an outlet you can recharge the battery while charging your devices
    • Fully recharges in 2.5 hours using the PD port!
    • Rated for 2000 cycles, i.e., 7-10 years due to internal battery config
    It's big, but prior to this I was using Anker's equivalent 25,600 mAh battery which is about the same specs: 7.22 x 3.24 x 0.94 inches, 1.3 lbs, 60W, $160 ... so the Anker is slightly smaller, and cheaper, with the ~same power, so what's the benefit?

I love Anker and am a loyal customer, but I'd gone through three of their batteries in 2 years as they're "single cell" architecture batteries and tend to swell up and lose capacity quickly - this happened to ~50% of the large Anker batteries I purchased. They have great customer support (for me anyway) so that's ok, but that's the trade-off for the more cheaply made batteries: they're slightly smaller and lighter, but also more fragile and prone to failure.

The Goal Zero is BEEFY, durable, and in almost 2 years of heavy use has yet to exhibit any diminishment of power or recharge rate, plus it has the Qi charging AND the biggie, simultaneous charge/discharge.

In short I'd say if you would like a large power bank >15000mAh single cell equivalent for everyday carry / airline travel - and frequently use the battery, esp for high discharge rates like a laptop, then the extra durability (both physically & functionally) is well worth it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	500a135681a5d47ff798a7fb83b4b5e9.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	330804

Good to know!

If you're so inclined, maybe you can cross post or link to this, in this thread:

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...sis-on-quality
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Working...
    X