Vaccination & Travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vaccination & Travel?

Hi All, Now that vaccinations are opening up to the general population in many US states and countries, curious

(1.) Did you get one / are you planning to?
    (2.) If you got one, which one? Both shots? Any side effects?
    (3.) Either way, are you planning any travel now or into the summer?

I've gotten pfizer, no side effects, will be traveling here and there for fun though no specific plans yet ... I would love to get to Seattle in May though!

Both doses, Moderna, “good immune response” (which is to say, one day with a fever, headache, and body aches, but the dr says that means a better protection), and I’m traveling for my mom’s memorial service this week.

Comment

Ha, I wish. It might be a few months yet until I get the opportunity for my first shot - who knows. Until then my travel is taking my car visiting family. I fear I will have lost my ability to pack minimally when this is over, it’s been “throw all the things into the boot of my car” for ages now.

Comment

Had my first shot with Astra Zeneca and was badly knocked out for one day with fluelike symptoms. I reframed this as a good sign as my immune system seems to be working allright! Second day was back to normal. Will receice my second shot mid May. I hope the US will let us in again after complete vaccination as I am planning to cross the pond soon.
        ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
        current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

I’ve received two doses of Pfizer and I’ll hit the full two weeks protection later this week. No reaction to the first dose, just a sore arm. The second dose had me fatigued and a little achy the next day. No fever. I didn’t really feel sick, just didn’t feel 100%.

I mainly travel for work conferences but those seem to be digital through the end of the year. May do a small trip in the Fall.

Being very conservative for the past year with staying home and strict masking when leaving the house has led to the healthiest stretch of my life I can remember. No colds, fevers, or anything. That has me strongly considering wearing a mask in large dense groups going forward.
          Solaris ALL THE THINGS!

Comment

Originally posted by Selcouth View Post
            Being very conservative for the past year with staying home and strict masking when leaving the house has led to the healthiest stretch of my life I can remember. No colds, fevers, or anything. That has me strongly considering wearing a mask in large dense groups going forward.
            Same here! In fact, it seems that we had very few cases of influenza this season in countries where people were wearing masks and practiced physical distancing...

...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
            current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Received both Pfizer shots. After the first shot, I had a headache and fatigue. After the second, shot only a headache. Both times the side effects lasted maybe six hours.

As for travel, the first trip post vaccine was Disney World last month. Expect to travel this summer, just have to decide where. Looking forward to traveling my new TB bags, especially the Paragon.
              Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Comment

My husband and I got our first dose of Pfizer on Friday morning, no side effects. I was so relieved that I actually started to cry when we pulled into the line. No specific travel plans at this point, but will begin to venture farther afield at least by car later this summer. We've been extremely cautious across the last year, so even an extended car trip will feel exotic!

Comment

I’ve had both doses of pfizer. only side effect, besides a slightly sore arm & sleeping later for a couple days afterward, was a manageable but nagging headache after dose #2 that persisted for much of the following day.

no firm travel plans until november, aside from a few 2-3 day trips to visit my family in a neighboring state. my other half will be roughly 4 weeks past dose #2 around his birthday, considering taking an overnight roadtrip around then. we’ve been holed up hard at home since March 2020, haven’t been away from home together since dec 2019, and haven’t done any leisure travel in almost two years! (will I still remember how to pack halfway well?? WE SHALL SEE)
                  Last edited by capncat; 04-11-2021, 11:43 PM.

Comment

I recently got my second dose of Moderna, and I had an active immune response to the second shot, but I am fairly sensitive to medication. For the first shot I had a sore arm, headache, and slightly fatigued. For the second shot I had a day of headache, sore arm, and fatigued, as well as a half a day of flu like symptoms like body aches, chills, and fever. That said, I am still grateful to have gotten it.

I have not made imminent travel plans yet, but I hope to travel to see family this summer FINALLY. I relocated cross country just before the start of the pandemic, so I haven't even done much local travel yet.
                    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
                    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Comment

Originally posted by NWhikergal View Post
                      I relocated cross country just before the start of the pandemic, so I haven't even done much local travel yet.
                      So are you "NE hiker gal" now? I'm in California and love hiking in the mountains, and also thinking of moving cross-country, but I'd hate to lose mountains to hike so hopefully soon I can get some time to see some of the north east states to find the mountains there

Glad you got both shots done and over!

Comment

Getting my 2nd Pfizer shot on Thursday. First shot I had some arm soreness, and some minor chills. We'll see how I do after the 2nd one. My husband had his 2nd Moderna shot on Saturday and had minor flu-like symptoms for about a day and a half. We're planning a day trip to Bozeman, MT to the Museum of the Rockies at the end of the month, once we both pass the 2 week safe zone.
                        Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
                        Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
                        Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Comment

I've had my first jab - AstraZeneca (UK based, and in a "vulnerable" group due to prior heart issues) - and will probably get the second one in early May. Side-effects were that I felt a bit "flu-ey" for a couple of days afterward - fatigued and achy etc. My partner also had first jab (3 weeks before mine) and was wiped out for about a week, but fine now; second jab booked for end of next week.

As far as travel is concerned, the only place I used to regularly go was London, to the office for work - a couple of days every couple of weeks. The last time that happened was Feb 2020; the office is still effectively closed to most staff, and HR have been making vague noises about perhaps reopening in September. Once I can travel, I'll definitely be looking to start doing so again - not so much because I need to visit the office (a year or more of doing, if anything, more stuff while the entire team works remotely has made it quite clear that an office is kinda-optional in terms of getting the job done) but because I want to see some of my colleagues in the flesh again and go out to the pub, dinner etc with them as we used to do. That's if there's a pub or restaurant still open by then... reportedly, the once-thriving restaurant scene around Soho and Fitzrovia has been badly impacted by the various lockdowns... at least one favourite haunt has permanently closed as a result.

On a more local basis, once I'm fully vaccinated I shall definitely be looking to venture forth to my local large city (Bristol) for the occasional change of scenery. I used to have regular "mooch" days where the laptop and I would drive up, have brunch, do some work in a cafe, etc - and I have been craving that for the last few months. Once it's possible to do so, I shall definitely be going to Murray's cafe deli on Park Row, having e.g. a mushroom and fontina panini with a slice of lemon, polenta and almond cake and a couple of their sublime flat white coffees...
                          A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Comment

Received Pfizer #1 on Monday (first day of general availability here in DC), with the second dose scheduled for early May. I had a bit of a headache and fatigue on Monday night and yesterday but that could conceivably be the fault of the celebratory mezcal rather than the vaccine!

Dad and I are thinking of a Nova Scotia hiking trip in late August. A friend in Canada is thinking the same but noted that the Atlantic provinces have tight restrictions even for Canadian travelers. Given the slow pace of the vaccine roll-out in Canada, there's no guarantee they'll be open to Americans by then. Still some time yet to wait and see.

I'll surely visit family in Minnesota at some point in the summer. A work retreat in Thailand with Asia-based colleagues also isn't out of the question; Thailand is gradually opening up to vaccinated travelers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammy View Post
                              Thailand is gradually opening up to vaccinated travelers.
                              I watch quite a bit of Thailand youtube travel content and they seem to have done very well in terms of keeping cases down, and there are tons of great deals: you can get a 4-5 star hotel for ~$30/night!

We'd be willing to do the 2 week quarantine as well ... we're starting to think about Thailand or South Korea ... UK, Ireland, and Iceland are other options for US citizens willing to do a quarantine stay, and hopefully they'll start opening up more to vaccinated / PCR-negative travelers.

Comment

Working...
                              X