Earth Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth Day

In honor of Earth Day, I thought it might be fun to share any significant practices or changes made this past year to be more environmental. For example, while I have recycled for years, during the great toilet paper shortage of 2020, I switched to a bamboo toilet paper, and I still maintain the subscription rather than buying traditional toilet paper. Also, while I have always valued paper books, I read and checked out more electronic books. I would be curious to hear if anyone else made shifts, whether through circumstance or intention.

Happy Earth Day!
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Very timely topic and had lots of time to think the past year. Couple things I have done or continue to do:

I haven't been on any flights in almost 13 months.

I have decluttered some of my things in the stay at home time while being conscientious about what I buy. The "if you haven't used it in a year" rule works well.

Narrowed down my personal care items to Dr. Bronner Bar Soap, JR Liggett Bar Shampoo, Lusa Organics Dish Bar Soap, and Dr. Bronner Sal Suds for detergent. Trying several shaving soaps so that is a work in progress. Switched to kitchen towels of cloth and I am still buying standard toilet paper. I also ordered 10 years of razor blades to save shipping as I am 100% into safety razor shaving.

I no longer own a CD, DVD, or non-essential book. I own 3 books. Digital living doesn't cost the environment too much if you keep a cell phone for several years and then sell it for further use.

Spent time thinking about focusing on what I want in life, from life, and for life. My action word for myself is Synchrony. Everything must align to only for those goals. Very helpful in eliminating waste.

I watched 3 episodes of Hoarders. I felt like was a hoarder even though I only have a few duffel bags of things, but it is still many things. That gave me reflection on my things. Those episodes gave me pause at the amount of money spent that was lost, I feel if I spend money on things I need, I can do better things, have nicer things, and create less environmental damage.

On the farming side I could try harder at buying less, but then I would grow less. I am 100% organic compliant so that's a start to helping the earth. The farm causes me paper clutter that I dread, but that is what it is.

My sin is buying too much TB items lol.

Comment

Working...
    X