Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EU Travel For US Citizens Looking Good for Summer!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU Travel For US Citizens Looking Good for Summer!!

Per the NY Times:
    “The Americans, as far as I can see, use European Medicines Agency-approved vaccines,” Ursula von der Leyen, president of the European Commission, said Sunday in an interview with The Times in Brussels. “This will enable free movement and the travel to the European Union.

“Because one thing is clear: All 27 member states will accept, unconditionally, all those who are vaccinated with vaccines that are approved by E.M.A.,” she added. The agency, the bloc’s drugs regulator, has approved all three vaccines being used in the United States, namely the Moderna, Pfizer/BioNTech and Johnson & Johnson shots.

Ms. von der Leyen did not offer a timeline on when exactly tourist travel might open up or details on how it would occur. But her comments are a top-level statement that the current travel restrictions are set to change on the basis of vaccination certificates.

Last edited by GrussGott; 04-25-2021, 03:46 PM.
    Seeking Verde Aeronauts

This is something I've been following for months and is being discussed greatly on travel boards. The big issue is vaccination certificates. What will be accepted and how will they be translated. The U.S. government has said they will not issue them and three states have already banned anything except the CDC card you are given when vaccinated. My money is on an electronic form that will be filled out by the traveler. Too expensive to have everyone go back to where they got vaccinated and have a new form filled out. We're talking millions of Americans.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank II View Post
      This is something I've been following for months and is being discussed greatly on travel boards. The big issue is vaccination certificates. What will be accepted and how will they be translated. The U.S. government has said they will not issue them and three states have already banned anything except the CDC card you are given when vaccinated. My money is on an electronic form that will be filled out by the traveler. Too expensive to have everyone go back to where they got vaccinated and have a new form filled out. We're talking millions of Americans.
      Yeah, that's probably the sticking point - they mention this:
      it is possible that a low-tech solution would be used in the near future to enable people to travel freely on the basis of vaccination. For example, a traveler to Europe could get an E.U. vaccine-certificate equivalent on arrival after showing a bona fide certificate issued by his or her own government.

The hope, officials said, is that this step would soon be unnecessary as government-issued vaccine certificates issued by foreign governments would be acceptable and readable in the European Union, and vice versa.

Thus if the EU accepts the CDC's card, then it's probably a done deal ... seems like it'd be quite easy to counterfeit, but that's another issue. One potential solution, just brainstorming, would be to offer a pre-auth type system like health insurance uses; i.e., most people traveling to the EU from the US have health insurance and if vaccination is part of their medical record and their insurance were to note that, a pre-auth transaction would validate it. Who pays, etc is another question ...
      Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

most people traveling to the EU from the US have health insurance and if vaccination is part of their medical record and their insurance were to note that, a pre-auth transaction would validate it.
        It won't work. I got my shots at a small regional pharmacy. My health insurance doesn't cover the area the pharmacy is located. While the pharmacy may have submitted for administrative fee to my insurance company, that doesn't mean the insurance company has a record of my shot information. The only proof we have is the CDC card.

In two years, any American who wants to travel to Europe, will have to get an ETIAS visa. You will go online, fill out a form, pay a small fee, and it's done. (We make Europeans do the same thing coming here.) A similar system could easily be set up for Covid. The sticking point is they want a universal form that could be understood regardless of its language.

Let's just be patient and see what happens.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

It will be up to private industry to dictate the solution to the vacc./immunity papers system for better or worse imo.

To broaden the topic of EU travel opening up, the question I have to ask is "Why go to EU if everything is closed down?" I was in the EU with the initial lockdowns last year and EU is great and all, but not much different than the US if you are confined to your place of residence. I read Germany is under curfew lockdowns again as a comment from Merkel. Borders may have check points. Might have to carry papers stating reason to be outside in some countries. The potential of more lockdowns, travel advisories, or travel bans being instituted. I can see the advantages to less tourists out and about at the sites. Again Why go if almost everything is locked down? If you can, should you?

I thought about going this past winter and those are the thoughts that kept going through my head. I ultimately decided to stay home and think about it for next year. There were, maybe still are, some good-priced flight the end of 2021 that I seriously thought to buy. They're cheap because of the uncertainty for all. I struggled with what I want to do and what I should do. Sorry for my rant.

Comment

Don't assume what it going on today will be the same this summer. Summer is still two months away and a lot can happen. If the countries do open up to American tourists, among others, the lockdowns will have to be lessened. Masks, social distancing, and timed entries to some sights is to be expected. But it wouldn't pay to go if everything was closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank II View Post
              But it wouldn't pay to go if everything was closed.
              For me, all I would need is the grocery stores open and Rx in case of emergency, and cafes would be the cherry - tons to do in terms of hiking, driving, exploring and all with a lower tourist count - I'm in!
              Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

Https://reopen.europa.eu/en is a useful source of info on rates of covid infection and local lockdown, curfew and other restrictions across EU member states.

Comment

If people are careless during any ease of restriction, there will be another surge because children cannot be vaccinated, so they can be asymptomatic carriers.

Some people still refuse to vaccinate and wear masks, the virus will use them to spread, during every extra spread, there is the risk of variants.

Variants are having a devastating effect in South Africa, Brasil and India.

We are not out of the woods, I advise caution to everyone I talk to.

I take in consideration the devastating effects of the Spanish Flu which lasted from February 1918 to April 1920, it infected 500 million people – about a third of the world's population at the time – in four successive waves.

Comment

In Germany only 13,6% of population has gotten the full immunisation through vaccination, as of today. At the same time it feels as if more and more people act like it’s over and done with... The numbers have gone down again, but they are still far above the number that was considered critical only last spring/summer. Shows how easily you can get used to it.
                    Last edited by b1gsky; 05-22-2021, 06:42 AM.

Comment

The US, despite getting off to a slow start, and still with some less motivated public health enthusiasts, is actually doing surprisingly well on the vaccine front:

8 states with 70%+ adults w/ first dose: Vermont, Hawaii, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, New Jersey, Rhode Island and there's 10 more with 65%+ of adults w/ first dose and on May 19th we fell below 30,000 cases (7 day avg) for the first time in almost a year. So great work US folks!

With that, we've gone on an extended road trip to research some new places to live and learned a lot! Everything we thought on paper from the confines of our covid lair was wrong but we're making some fast pivots and will be doing a few more trips.

Overall we kept our masks on indoors in public spaces (which we overall avoided), and in general found people in most places to be more/less the same buuuttt ... in some towns you might go an hour w/o seeing a mask and in others even outdoor bikers were wearing masks, so also a little bit of a mixed bag. Nobody hassled us when we were wearing them, though, on the flip side, in one particular town we did get asked to put them on exiting the car.

IMO, there are 2 ways to view the next 12 months:

* Public Health:
                      Max vax, no mask ask (can't take credit for that one ) - in general people are burned out and a bit wary of the conflicting professional medical advice that's rolled out over the last year so "just get vaccinated" might be the best and fastest path to beating covid.

* Personal Health:
                      For us, as fully vaccinated 2 weeks+ adults, we'll continue to avoid public indoor gatherings, indoor gyms, etc and be selective on who we spend time with, how much, etc. To be blunt, this also means avoiding college-age people w/o masks. We'll also be wearing masks indoors anywhere public or in off chance we're outdoors in a crowd (which we don't plan to be). We plan to continue to take roadtrips through the summer, stay at hotels, grocery shop, get coffee, etc from local businesses and in general move back to a more normal pattern of living.

And to stay on topic, we wouldn't hesitate to air travel *if* it's a high value trip but, with that, we don't have any air travel plans until at least the fall and those are tentative at best.
                      Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

Just an update for anyone who hasn't been following, this week multiple countries in the EU are opening to vaccinated travelers:

* Greece - open
                        * Austria - open
                        * Spain - open June 7th
                        * France - open June 9th

There are different requirements for each in terms of proof-of-vaccination and process (for example Austria requires pre-travel clearance)

Further the EU has created an EU Digital Covid Certificate - for Americans:
                        “Right now if you’re an American, not living in the E.U., you could get the certificate if you ask the national authorities of a member state to give you that certificate based on some proof that you’ve been vaccinated, or had a recent Covid test,” said the E.U. spokesperson. The decision on whether to allow non-E.U. citizens to use the app would rest with each individual member state.

June is the "warm up" phase with the following countries accepting it:
                        • Bulgaria
                        • Croatia
                        • Czechia
                        • Denmark
                        • Germany
                        • Greece
                        • Poland
                        And then 16 other countries including Switzerland have finished testing and could being accepting the EU DCC anytime:
                        • Austria
                        • Belgium
                        • Cyprus
                        • Estonia
                        • France
                        • Ireland
                        • Italy
                        • Latvia
                        • Lithuania
                        • Luxembourg
                        • Malta
                        • Netherlands
                        • Portugal
                        • Romania
                        • Spain
                        • Sweden
                        • Switzerland
                        Note that whether an EU country accepts the ED DCC or not can vary from whether they have their own policies and are open already, i.e., Greece, Spain, France, etc

ALSO PLEASE NOTE ANY OF THIS INFO COULD BE INCORRECT, INCOMPLETE, OR CHANGE, so please obviously do your own research before booking those tickets

If anyone has better, newer, or more complete info, any all updates & corrections appreciated!

Safe Travels!
                        Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

Working...
                        X