Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Watches & Tourism

Originally posted by bartleby View Post
    It's a 856 S UTC by Sinn, a German manufacturer. A very reliable and sturdy watch.
    Hey bartleby, just ran across this in an old thread - love your 856! I've got a U1 and U2 and love them both, including the history & company - I'm hoping to get to Germany this year where I understand they can be had for quite a discount over what we have to pay here in the states from the single distributor (they're even significantly cheaper in Canada). I've learned from my U2 how super legible the 856/7 are.

I'm hoping this fall to visit Glashütte to see SUG, Lange, Wempe (w/ the observatory), Mühle-Glashütte, Nomos, the watch museum, etc - any thoughts or advice is much appreciated!
    Last edited by GrussGott; 04-30-2021, 06:03 PM.

Hi GrussGott, yes, Sinn is a great company, I didn‘t know they were available in the US! They have a nice new showroom in the old city centre of Frankfurt and you can also visit the showroom at their factory in Frankfurt. Unfortunately, I have never been to Glashütte, although it‘s a must for watch enthusiasts and just recently I was musing whether my next watch will be a Nomos. For a couple of years now they develop and build their own movements with a really high quality. So if your're into watches you certainly won‘t regret the visit!

Ah, and SUG of course are building the shells for Sinn, actually the current owner of Sinn was the Co-Founder of SUG.
    Last edited by bartleby; 05-04-2021, 12:26 PM.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby View Post
      Hi [USER="20087"]

They have a nice new showroom in the old city centre of Frankfurt and you can also visit the showroom at their factory in Frankfurt.
      Great recommendations! Can't wait for travel to open up again ... sounds like it's going to happen pretty soon, so we're trying to figure out our strategy and pre-book flights / rooms but it's pretty tough right now.

In any event, yes I love the durability and "tooliness" of the U series (now I have my eye on some g-shocks! ), but my Sinns are milestone gifts so they'll always be my favorites. Somehow I started a habit of trying to get pictures of them in front of mountains, and I'm not sure why (they rarely turn out but I keep trying!!) here's two that kinda worked.

The U1 in front of Mount Fuji (little peak waaaay off in the center) - shadows are my picture enemy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu1960.png
Views:	34
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	331787

The U2 with the blue strap in front of the Diablo Mountains

Click image for larger version

Name:	U2960.png
Views:	38
Size:	996.3 KB
ID:	331786

Comment

Great shots and watches! Love the strap colours, especially the white on the U1! My wrist is rather small and thus the U1 and U2 are too big for me. But now that they introduced the U50 I might be tempted again...
        ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
        current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Working...
        X