Ode to a Cheap Canvas Bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ode to a Cheap Canvas Bag

This is technically about a bag but not a Tom Bihn bag, so I’m putting it in the Not About Bags forum.

This is my current coffee shop bag. I bought it just over a year ago on Amazon for about $25, not knowing we were about to head into a pandemic and ongoing shutdown. So far the only trip it’s taken was to see my mom in hospice before she died last summer. Today, tho, vaccinated and masked, the boyfriend and I are out at a boba tea cafe for a few hours, and it’s taking its first proper trip as it was meant to.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	BE38B9A9-0D87-454A-ABD9-842440983290.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.66 MB ID:	331680

In some respects it’s the best bag I’ve had so far. It’s a one-strap shoulder sling instead of a backpack, with a grab handle on the back, but it’s a reasonably solid canvas, and is JUST big enough for my iPad Pro and some other junk.

It’s not perfect, though. The iPad fits but is a little tight zipping it closed. And there are so many zippers — a zipper on top, a zippered compartment behind the flap, a zippered compartment ON the flap, and a zippered pocket inside the bag that constantly threatens my iPad case or Macbook’s smooth aluminum surface. And the flap — between the pocket and zipper, anything in the pocket, and those two heavy magnetic strap connectors, it’s kinda heavy and awkward to flip open and closed. A few TOO many pockets and bangles for my taste.

So now … I feel so sad for it. It’s finally taking its first outing, soaking up the smell of coffee beans and milk tea in the cafe, enjoying finally its moment in the sun … but it doesn’t know yet that on Thursday I’ll be pre-ordering a burnt orange Medium Cafe Bag to replace it. So it’s got about two months left in its career, one drive to visit Dad and maybe a handful of coffee shop visits when I feel up for it. Poor thing. A life that burns bright but short.

Hopefully I’ll find something to do with it, or someone to gift it to, once it’s replaced.

But gosh DANG am I excited about getting a MCB at the same time! <3
    Last edited by Cooner; 05-02-2021, 02:06 PM.
    ---
    My Bags: Burnt Orange Aeronaut 30 Island Small Travel Tray
    Preordered: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag
    Wish List: Burnt Orange Side KickAubergine Everyday Cubelet

Nice post. I'm also currently using a temporary bag, waiting until I order/receive a Small Cafe bag. My current EDC bag is an old Eastsport cross-body. When I first started using it, I thought the generous pockets and zippers were cool. But I quickly learned that, in practice, it has too many zippers and flaps and pockets. Hopefully the SCB won't have too few; it has one zipper. Also, due to the Eastsport's age, some zippers get stuck easily. I'm looking forward to one big buckled flap to access most everything.
    The only thing worse than chips without salsa is salsa without chips!

Comment

jMac Yeah, both the last couple coffeeshop bags and the last several carryon bags I’ve had (including the two I’ve been bouncing between for the last several years now) include loads of pockets and zippers. Seemed very “organizational’ at the time, but … in practice half the pockets are too small or oddly specifically shaped to find anything to pack into them, or they’re layered on top of each other so you can’t really use them all (unless you’re traveling with, like, six different small stacks of index cards, I guess) … and all those unused pockets just eat into otherwise useful space and add bulk to the bag.

I’m hoping, the cafe bag looks just the right level of organized to me … in addition to the zippered pocket I’ll probably clip one or two Ghost Whales inside for charge cables and small loose odds and ends. And I can’t wait to try to pack the Aeronaut 30 … just a big open packing space with a couple dividers, one pocket inside and two unobtrusive pockets outside, and the option of various packing cubes and pouches for any further organizational needs. So far I’m just projecting but I look forward to having it in hand.
      ---
      My Bags: Burnt Orange Aeronaut 30 Island Small Travel Tray
      Preordered: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag
      Wish List: Burnt Orange Side KickAubergine Everyday Cubelet

Comment

Cooner I think a benefit of TB bags is their modularity. They're pretty simple when it comes to pockets and such. But you can totally add pouches and cubes to tweak your organization. I like it.
        The only thing worse than chips without salsa is salsa without chips!

Comment

Working...
        X