Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,527   Posts: 187,804   Members: 6,491   Active Members: 305
Welcome to our newest member, mikebb.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Training to fly an aerial drone for business photo/video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training to fly an aerial drone for business photo/video

An exciting new prospect just dropped into my lap, and I need to acquire new hardware accessories and software to take advantage of it.

I talked to a gentleman who is accepting applications for skills evaluation and close-supervision training (small class size) aerial inspection photo/video UAV (drone) piloting. I currently have no drone piloting experience, but I've wanted to learn for years. I took an immersion course at Digital Media Academy at Stanford University to get my feet wet with Final Cut Pro. I don't get to use it often enough, but over the years I have occasionally made some camcorder-based videos.

The gentleman I talked to is deeply involved in industrial UAV and video/photo operations and is trying to develop more personnel. I cannot pass this opportunity up.

He told me that the first step is to get up to 30 hours experience in a flight simulator. I'm in a rural area, so the only simulator I can find is one I buy for myself.

MY CURRENT HARDWARE/SOFTWARE SETUP
    Apple iMac 21" 2.9 GHz Core i5, 1 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM; current running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 (Considering getting new SSD to swap out the HDD, and installing Mojave and maybe Bootcamp w/ Win10 if necessary)

I am also considering getting a new M1X MacBook Pro if they come out this Fall. I have COVID-19 stimulus money in my bank account and this opportunity sounds like a good investment.

I checked out some videos on YouTube about how to set up a flight simulator. Are any available for MacOS? Windows-only? What about iOS? It looks like you have to buy a standard drone radio control unit and plug it into a computer via USB. Not sure where to shop for all the accessories, but it looks (so far) like the least expensive hardware accessories (controller, etc.) would cost about $750.
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

You're being asked or required to spend a lot of money up front. Sounds fishy to me. Investigate the firm and the offer completely. Only spend what you can afford to lose if the offer disappears or you fail to make the cut.

Comment

The FAA website has some useful information on certification for drone pilots.
      https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/
      A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Comment

Surely this gentleman can provide examples of what are recognised and qualified simulator experience? Drone operation especially for professional use, is becoming highly regulated.

Yes there are new business opportunities with drone surveys, but that means there are also people ready to take advantage of others…

There are many computer flight simulators (X Plane for example) but I am not sure it is configured to simulate drones and allows hardware interface with drone controls? It’s not just that you happen to have found a found a drone simulator game and played it.

Comment

ehhh I’d be wary, and also argue that real-world stick time and learning the regulations is more valuable than hours upon hours of sim time. It is indeed becoming more heavily regulated and you can get yourself into some serious #*}%{^ in a hurry if you don’t know the regs thoroughly, esp if you’re operating in a commercial capacity.

I haven’t taken the FAA part 107 exam yet, but the actual operation part isn’t especially difficult to pick up. I did an in-person basic drone training course through dart drones a while back, which was pretty solid and came with a good amount of hands-on flight time, plus they provided all the aircraft and hardware to learn on.

DJI has a simulator but don’t install it on any device with any info you don’t want DJI to have access to (any info, period, not just sim-related data.) my instructor uses a dedicated tablet for that and only that & regularly factory resets it because the privacy concerns are so serious.
          Last edited by capncat; 09-25-2021, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Still smells fishy.

Comment

Working...
            X