Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,744   Posts: 190,307   Members: 6,604   Active Members: 256
Welcome to our newest member, MeaningwaveExists.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packable Snack suggestions wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packable Snack suggestions wanted!

Looking for advice on the best snacks that pack small but are filling! I am getting the hang of minimalist packing but often end up with a huge separate bag for food and would love some suggestions on how to downsize while still keeping the whole family happy.

I'm allergic to nuts so those are out..... open to everything else though - thanks!

Arrrg, I'm allergic to everything growing but thankfully not food (yet). I love nuts and would be very sad, ahem.

Depends on if / when you have access to refrigeration and if you're flying and subject to 3oz liquids rule, so take all this with that in mind...
    I do variations of all of the below for flights and car trips...with the addition of nuts and my favorite bar is a KIND protein nut bar but that's out for you

-mini pita or large ones cut up (they last a reasonable time without molding, go for wheat)
    -good dense crackers
    -seeds (if you're not allergic; ie, roasted salted pumpkin seeds from Trader Joe's, sunflower, etc)
    -hummus (refrigeration after a bit unless you get one of the shelf stable ones, but they're not as good)
    -dried meat/jerky, there are also mushroom versions & others if you don't do meat
    -cans of smoked oysters, clams, etc, if you can be a little messy/stinky, like on a road trip...bring one of those tiny cocktail forks or toothpicks if you can't wash
    -roasted/spiced chickpeas - good protein and any spice flavouring you want to do (do your own for less $ and customization)
    -hard cheeses last a long time without refrigeration, do your homework
    -babybel cheese in wax last for flights.... and work well in coolers when the ice gets melty
    -Halo's mandarins, very refreshing, sweet, and good moisture if you're eating dry crackers/seeds/cheese
    -baby carrots, persian cucumbers, cut celery, etc., if you have refrigeration - good moisture
    -those small chicken or tuna 'on the go' packs...kind of pricey and lots of packaging but sometimes it's worth it
    -squeezeable fruit pouches, very refreshing shelf stable or refrigerated
    -dried fruit
    -old fashioned 'gorp' just watch out for your nuts
    -granola cluster type cereals... high protein, reasonable sugar cereals make great snacks for travel if you're ok with grain
    -granola bars/nutrition bars in general, there's a version out there for every dietary focus
    -hard boiled eggs last a while without fridge
    -cooked/chilled edamame and / or dried soybeans (allergens)

Basically, I balance the need for compact protein dense solutions, with whole grain good carbs, reasonable natural sweetness, crunch & texture variance, and recognize the need for moisture that isn't just the refillable bottle of water.
    If you have a freezer, that opens up a whole 'nother world
    Last edited by G42; 04-30-2022, 06:37 AM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

One thing that is counterintuitive, but seems to work for me, is to chop up any fruits into a Tupperware. An intact apple keeps better, but somehow having it in pieces makes it more inviting to eat (and share). I like to add raisins to the container; they get soft and taste better than they do straight from the box. Same with carrots, oranges, etc. Otherwise it's hard to add to @G42's list!
      ----
      All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
      Edmund Burke

Comment

I find how I pack the food makes a bigger difference than what the food is. Sometimes corraling it into a tidy rectangle packs up more tightly, like giving everyone their own bento-style box. Sometimes packing the food into a sack makes more sense. It depends on the bag that the food is getting packed into.
        All that said, when I'm on a trail for lunch and looking to save space in my pack, I make sandwiches. Sometimes jam and butter, or hummus with veggies and cheese, chicken salad, chickpea salad, and so on. Others in my family like cold cuts too which are super compact.

Comment

Fruit roll ups may be called fruit leather in your country
          Beef jerky
          Cheese (pre sliced) with seed crackers

For my taste, all these items are ok in the same ziplock bag. Just pick and choose different taste combinations in each bite. Makes it easier with just one bag/container.

Comment

A couple of things that have gone over well especially when we have a group travelling together:

-dry fruit like apricots, hardy and squishable if your bag gets jammed against something
            -a bar of chocolate (if it won’t melt)
            -animal crackers or other dry biscuits
            -carrot sticks, grape tomatoes, celery or other fresh veg

I think you’re smart to bring some of your own snacks. So much of what is available for purchase at airports or in gas stations is full of sodium or additives. Hey, I like that stuff too but having something of your own choosing can be a nice option.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions - these are brilliant! We are thinking mostly flights where the food has always been pretty bad. This is my cut down list based on what I think my kids will eat from the above:
              mini pita
              dense crackers
              twiggy sticks
              roasted seeds
              roasted/spiced chickpeas
              edamame and / or dried soybeans
              babybel cheese in wax
              hummus/dips
              cut veggies
              mandarins
              fruit pouches
              dried fruit
              roll ups
              cereals
              granola bars/nutrition bars
              M&M's
              lollies
              Suggestions for best chocolate that doesn't melt? M&M's? Thinking a mix of maybe skittles, M&M's and some healthy-ish crackers to bulk it out.....

We use stackable snack cups that work quite well but do have size restrictions on the shape of food. Mostly small stuff that's pourable works well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydneygirl View Post
                . Suggestions for best chocolate that doesn't melt? .
                Mini M&Ms or Mars bars in the share packs/ Favourites box (mixture of flavours)/ mini Whittakers bars.

Comment

For chocolate, I’ve had good luck with solid bars of dark chocolate, but I try to keep the bag out of the heat. Another good option is chocolate chips mixed with small dried fruit like cranberries to make a trail mix.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions - these are brilliant! We are thinking mostly flights where the food has always been pretty bad. This is my cut down list based on what I think my kids will eat from the above:
                    mini pita
                    dense crackers
                    twiggy sticks
                    roasted seeds
                    roasted/spiced chickpeas
                    edamame and / or dried soybeans
                    babybel cheese in wax
                    hummus/dips
                    cut veggies
                    mandarins
                    fruit pouches
                    dried fruit
                    roll ups
                    cereals
                    granola bars/nutrition bars
                    M&M's
                    lollies
                    Suggestions for best chocolate that doesn't melt? M&M's? Thinking a mix of maybe skittles, M&M's and some healthy-ish crackers to bulk it out.....

We use stackable snack cups that work quite well but do have size restrictions on the shape of food. Mostly small stuff that's pourable works well.
                    Is this for domestic or international flights? If it's international flights, hummus, dips and fruit pouches will be classed as liquids and gels.

It's also worth checking what special meals you can request, as this sometimes gets you a better standard of meal.
                    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Comment

Originally posted by bijoux View Post
                      Mini M&Ms or Mars bars in the share packs/ Favourites box (mixture of flavours)/ mini Whittakers bars.
                      Thanks - great idea - I was struggling for something to replace M&M's - choc chips is great idea!

Comment

Denises Thanks - it's for our flight to NZ so yep international!

Comment

Ok next question - Pop Tote - good bag for food, spare jumpers, water bottles etc? Thinking for on the flight with the A30 and A45 perhaps a Pop Tote would help corral everything we don’t want or can’t fit in the aeronauts.

Comment

Ok next question - Pop Tote - good bag for food, spare jumpers, water bottles etc? Thinking for on the flight with the A30 and A45 perhaps a Pop Tote would help corral everything we don’t want or can’t fit in the aeronauts.
                            I like the PT for under the seat, it looks good and stands up well.
                            Often I want the option of more space, so I use the Large Zip Top Shop Bag instead though... Less structure but more space and usually doesn't get a second look when boarding. Use the SK or PCSB with the swivel carabineers for the seat back pocket trick for the small stuff and it works well.
                            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Apples, popcorn popped at home then placed in a reusable zip bag, wow butter (like pb but nut free) and jelly on a pita wrapped, cheezits. If I know I will eat right away past an airport gate or shortly after leaving home then a mozzarella cheese stick and banana

Comment

Working...
                              X