Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,816   Posts: 191,178   Members: 6,704   Active Members: 261
Welcome to our newest member, ccrock.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packable Snack suggestions wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TavaPeak
    replied
    We often make a batch of Sunshine Muffins for long flights, and freeze them in advance. My recipe is from a Mennonite cookbook, but this recipe is similar. Ours has bananas, grated apple and carrot, coconut, whole wheat flour, and chocolate chips. No pineapple. I cut the sugar by at least half.

These muffins are dense and filling—very few crumbs. They lasted well on the long flight to Kauai. Could be baked in mini-muffin tins for smaller kids. The recipe takes some prep, so we double the recipe and make them as a team.
    Last edited by TavaPeak; 07-05-2022, 09:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• roadmr
    replied
    I would second the suggestion for granola bars, easy to pack and not too messy.

Puffed rice cakes might work - they are very light (although slightly bulky for the weight) and easy to eat. They are not especially nutritious, however.

for something sweet I would also look at gummies (bears work but shape is not too relevant) - you can find reasonably healthy options in organic food stores/aisles.

if you are able to cook before the trip, tamagoyaki is a good option - healthy and nutritious, easy to pack and carry, and works when cold (both for carrying and eating). Just cook it in advance, store in the fridge and take it out on trip day.

trail mix might also be worth a shot - it’s going to be somewhat equivalent to the granola bars, a small container is needed and it could cause a mess if it tips over but it’s more likely to keep small fingers entertained and is specifically designed for good calorie content for a given weight. Just find some that has no nuts in it.

Leave a comment:

• Denises
    replied
    The Pop Tote is a great bag for carrying all the odds and ends on a plane. Maybe have some pouches or cubelets to hold small items that might sink to the bottom of the bag.

As you're travelling to New Zealand, make sure you eat or dispose of the following before you go through biosecurity-

cheese, veggies, mandarins, edamame, chickpeas, hummus and dips.

All the other items should be ok, although they might want to look at the roasted seeds, roll-ups, and dried fruit. Also be prepared for the beagles to smell that there has been food in your bag.

Leave a comment:

• nsh
    replied
    Apples, popcorn popped at home then placed in a reusable zip bag, wow butter (like pb but nut free) and jelly on a pita wrapped, cheezits. If I know I will eat right away past an airport gate or shortly after leaving home then a mozzarella cheese stick and banana

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    Originally posted by Sydneygirl View Post
    Ok next question - Pop Tote - good bag for food, spare jumpers, water bottles etc? Thinking for on the flight with the A30 and A45 perhaps a Pop Tote would help corral everything we don’t want or can’t fit in the aeronauts.
    I like the PT for under the seat, it looks good and stands up well.
    Often I want the option of more space, so I use the Large Zip Top Shop Bag instead though... Less structure but more space and usually doesn't get a second look when boarding. Use the SK or PCSB with the swivel carabineers for the seat back pocket trick for the small stuff and it works well.

Leave a comment:

• Sydneygirl
    replied
    Ok next question - Pop Tote - good bag for food, spare jumpers, water bottles etc? Thinking for on the flight with the A30 and A45 perhaps a Pop Tote would help corral everything we don’t want or can’t fit in the aeronauts.

Leave a comment:

• Sydneygirl
    replied
    Denises Thanks - it's for our flight to NZ so yep international!

Leave a comment:

• Sydneygirl
    replied
    Originally posted by bijoux View Post
    Mini M&Ms or Mars bars in the share packs/ Favourites box (mixture of flavours)/ mini Whittakers bars.
    Thanks - great idea - I was struggling for something to replace M&M's - choc chips is great idea!

Leave a comment:

• Denises
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestions - these are brilliant! We are thinking mostly flights where the food has always been pretty bad. This is my cut down list based on what I think my kids will eat from the above:
    mini pita
    dense crackers
    twiggy sticks
    roasted seeds
    roasted/spiced chickpeas
    edamame and / or dried soybeans
    babybel cheese in wax
    hummus/dips
    cut veggies
    mandarins
    fruit pouches
    dried fruit
    roll ups
    cereals
    granola bars/nutrition bars
    M&M's
    lollies
    Suggestions for best chocolate that doesn't melt? M&M's? Thinking a mix of maybe skittles, M&M's and some healthy-ish crackers to bulk it out.....

We use stackable snack cups that work quite well but do have size restrictions on the shape of food. Mostly small stuff that's pourable works well.
    Is this for domestic or international flights? If it's international flights, hummus, dips and fruit pouches will be classed as liquids and gels.

It's also worth checking what special meals you can request, as this sometimes gets you a better standard of meal.

Leave a comment:

• GoStanford
    replied
    For chocolate, I’ve had good luck with solid bars of dark chocolate, but I try to keep the bag out of the heat. Another good option is chocolate chips mixed with small dried fruit like cranberries to make a trail mix.

Leave a comment:

• bijoux
    replied
    . Suggestions for best chocolate that doesn't melt? .
    Mini M&Ms or Mars bars in the share packs/ Favourites box (mixture of flavours)/ mini Whittakers bars.

Leave a comment:

• Sydneygirl
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestions - these are brilliant! We are thinking mostly flights where the food has always been pretty bad. This is my cut down list based on what I think my kids will eat from the above:
    mini pita
    dense crackers
    twiggy sticks
    roasted seeds
    roasted/spiced chickpeas
    edamame and / or dried soybeans
    babybel cheese in wax
    hummus/dips
    cut veggies
    mandarins
    fruit pouches
    dried fruit
    roll ups
    cereals
    granola bars/nutrition bars
    M&M's
    lollies
    Suggestions for best chocolate that doesn't melt? M&M's? Thinking a mix of maybe skittles, M&M's and some healthy-ish crackers to bulk it out.....

We use stackable snack cups that work quite well but do have size restrictions on the shape of food. Mostly small stuff that's pourable works well.

Leave a comment:

• GoStanford
    replied
    A couple of things that have gone over well especially when we have a group travelling together:

-dry fruit like apricots, hardy and squishable if your bag gets jammed against something
    -a bar of chocolate (if it won’t melt)
    -animal crackers or other dry biscuits
    -carrot sticks, grape tomatoes, celery or other fresh veg

I think you’re smart to bring some of your own snacks. So much of what is available for purchase at airports or in gas stations is full of sodium or additives. Hey, I like that stuff too but having something of your own choosing can be a nice option.

Leave a comment:

• bijoux
    replied
    Fruit roll ups may be called fruit leather in your country
    Beef jerky
    Cheese (pre sliced) with seed crackers

For my taste, all these items are ok in the same ziplock bag. Just pick and choose different taste combinations in each bite. Makes it easier with just one bag/container.

Leave a comment:

• twosandalz
    replied
    I find how I pack the food makes a bigger difference than what the food is. Sometimes corraling it into a tidy rectangle packs up more tightly, like giving everyone their own bento-style box. Sometimes packing the food into a sack makes more sense. It depends on the bag that the food is getting packed into.
    All that said, when I'm on a trail for lunch and looking to save space in my pack, I make sandwiches. Sometimes jam and butter, or hummus with veggies and cheese, chicken salad, chickpea salad, and so on. Others in my family like cold cuts too which are super compact.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X