Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,998   Posts: 193,786   Members: 6,895   Active Members: 240
Welcome to our newest member, Kimiko.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any recs for travel CPAPs and bags to carry them in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any recs for travel CPAPs and bags to carry them in?

Going on our first trip since the pandemic began. Have started using a CPAP at home, now need to choose and pack a machine for travel. Looking for machine recs and descriptions of how people travel with them. (Candidates so far are the ResMed Mini and Z2)

My husband just returned from a trip involving three flights each way. He’s recently had his Bi-PAP switched to an external ventilator, so different device but sort of the same.
    He chose to ship his “old” Bi-PAP to his destination along with the clothing and toiletries he would need. (I objected to this plan but he was concerned about being overloaded moving between gates.) So, on the flights out he had only his portable oxygen concentrator, in its carry case with a Side Kick (attached via 2 swivel carabiners) to hold the power cord and tubing/cannula. He also carried a laptop bag holding a change of clothing and personal items.
    I’m not clear why, but for some reason I had to prepare to go bring him home. Whatever it was somehow mysteriously worked out and he was able to fly home. On the way back he carried the cardboard box he had shipped with him. He didn’t have any problems and was able to keep everything with him … because medical items are carried free.
    So, as long as you have the ability to carry it you don’t need to worry about fitting your travel CPAP into another bag. You can just carry it in the carrier the manufacturer provides. (Even though he was loaded down with boxes and bags my husband’s item count was “1”.)
    I hope this helps.

Comment

I have two CPAPs: the latest ResMed and the newest Philips (the one they replaced their older recalled units with). Between the two, I prefer the ResMed. As far as bags go, I use the smallest Yeoman Duffle size, which works like a charm. Because there’s no padding in the bag, I wrap the unit in my linen towel to offer it a bit more protection. I could carry it on my shoulder with my Techonaut on my back and another shoulder bag (Swift/Maker’s Bag/Cafe Bag/etc.) as well.

Comment

I've used the aeronaut for 15+ years. The CPAP (in the past it was the size of a loaf of bread) would go in the end compartment, along with the power supply if it needed an external one. Then I would load clean underwear and socks around it to pad it a little. I'd put my clothes in the big center compartment, and then put the mask at the top of the bag (right under the handle, so minimum weight resting on it) with the hose wound around the outer edge of the large central compartment. I've been getting my gear from CPAP.com; if you are on their mailing list they regularly run sales. My current CPAP is the size of a baseball, and I have a regular mask I like and a fabric mask as a backup (it tends to get off center and start leaking during the night). I simply won't check or ship my CPAP; can't get along without it.

Comment

Thank you for your personal experiences.
          I have purchased a Breas Z2 travel CPAP. I think I will put the machine in a hard shell camera case and the rest (hose, mask, power brick) I will try to fit in a PCSB.

Comment

The PCSB works for the Z2 and accessories, with room to spare. If I pack the machine without a hardcase, I can fit it and the accessories into a Grab bag.

Comment

Working...
            X