Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,995   Posts: 193,735   Members: 6,892   Active Members: 243
Welcome to our newest member, B-Con.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Western WA autumn travel suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western WA autumn travel suggestions?

I'll be in Washington State at the end of October/early November for about a week - any suggestions for festivals, food, walks, short hikes, experiences? I've been to WA several times over the past 30 years (& lived there about 4mo total), but most recently have spent more time in Seattle and Bellingham... I want to get over to Sequim this time and poke around that side of the Sound. Any random suggestions are appreciated!
    Last edited by G42; 09-11-2022, 08:04 AM.
    “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
    “Sir?”
    “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
    “Sir?”
    “That’s practically zen.”
    -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

I’ve always viewed Sequim as the food/restroom stop on the way to the ocean beaches and the rainforest. If you haven’t been to the Hoh rainforest it’s worth the trip. The ocean beaches are also worth a visit possibly in conjunction with a rainforest visit.
    An annual fiber arts festival is held in Sequim in early October so there is most likely an active fiber arts community.
    Hurricane Ridge is about an hour’s drive from Sequim and offers awesome views and hiking.
    Port Townsend is a wooden boat hub.
    Also near Sequim are two of the three forts used to guard the opening to Puget Sound during WWII. You can walk through the bunkers and explore the installation.
    I hope this helps

Comment

Thanks so much bunchgrass !
      I went on a couple day backpacking trip through the rain forest but it was decades ago... It's an amazing place!
      “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
      “Sir?”
      “Sir?”

Comment

Port Angeles is a great place to stay over on that side. Eat at Nest Door Gastropub, Downriggers on the Water, or Kokopelli Grill. Olympic National Park is an easy day trip. There's also Lake Crescent Lodge or Lake Quinault Lodge inside the park itself. Lots of hiking trails in that area.

Comment

Thanks Salmanila8 ! I've added those places to my list
          “Sir?”
          “Sir?”

Comment

Hurricane Ridge isn't too far from Sequim, due south of Port Angeles, if you don't want to make the trip all the way out to the west coast of the peninsula but I'd always suggest going to the west coast. Hoh Rainforest is definitely a must if you haven't -- the old growth there is awe-inspiring. There is a pine burl forest nearby as well just south of Kalaloch at Beach 2 which is a really cool sight -- as well as the always photogenic Tree of Life.

Comment

Thanks MatthewR ! Since it's been 20+ years since I've been on the peninsula, I think you all have convinced me that it's time to do the big loop again
              “Sir?”
              “Sir?”

Comment

Working...
              X