Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,995   Posts: 193,735   Members: 6,892   Active Members: 243
Welcome to our newest member, B-Con.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a monthlong winter "digital nomad" location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for a monthlong winter "digital nomad" location

I know TB forum members have been to many places so I thought this would be the place to ask for ideas. I am looking for a month long "work from somewhere other than home for a while" location in the US. Jan-April timeframe, unsure exact time though flexible. Off the beaten path and doesn't need to be a tourist destination, maybe avoid tourist spots. I would use Airbnb or VRBO. Here are my criteria:

East of the Rocky Mountains (drivability reasons)
    Infrequent ice or snow
    Above freezing lows typically
    Reasonable internet
    Occasional local day trip things in hour's drive
    Not a food desert (maybe natural foods store nearby)
    Reasonable lodging costs (reference: entire apartment for under $100 a night)
    Boring peacefulness is good.

A few places I have thought about are the Carolina's, Georgia, Tennessee, or Arkansas. My key needs are peaceful place to focus on work that is away from home distractions (like fix this or that, I could go waste a day doing this, etc). Florida seems busy in winter and the "Florida Man" stereotype worries me lol. Arizona is another place that seems busy. Texas has many different environments and towns.

Any general areas I should consider or recommend?​

Gosh, there are so many places in that area it'll be hard to pick one. I guess I can chime in with a few pro's and con's of where I currently am, in the Austin, TX area.

For pro's, Austin is a decent sized city that's both the state capitol and a university down, so there's plenty of shopping, food options, and local sights. A related con is that it's been getting really crowded over the past few years, but if you find a place in one of the surrounding satellite cities (Pflugerville, Kyle, Manor, etc.) it can be a bit quieter, and you can still drive into town when necessary. Lots of tech industry in the area so internet access is generally pretty good.

Within driving distance are plenty of parks, springs, mountains, etc. The river going through downtown has plenty of nice spots and businesses along it to visit for the day. Within an hour's drive there's plenty of small towns if you're looking for places to visit with their own character. And if necessary, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, and parts of the Gulf Coast shore are accessible with a half-day's drive or less.

Rent and real estate prices have been going up with the increased migrations, but you might still be able to find something reasonable outside of downtown or some of the more trendy areas. From time to time there's a freak ice or snowstorm in January or February, but nothing that lasts for the entire season.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts on the Austin area … hopefully other folks will chime in with other suggestions and you'll be able to find a place suitable for your purposes. Good luck!
    ---
    My Bags: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe BagSide Kick Luminary 15Co-Pilot Aeronaut 30
    Canary Large Shop Bag Dawn Large Shop BagAubergine Everyday Cubelet
    With: Island Packing CubesTravel Tray Cubelet Dawn Wallet

Comment

If you're interested in the Carolinas or Georgia, then check out the coastal areas in the winter. They do get cold but below freezing is typically just at night and only a few days in Jan/Feb. April is when it starts to warm up on the coast. Really as long as you stay out of the mountains anywhere in GA/SC/NC winters are pretty good.

Comment

I suggest two spots: Crozet, Virginia and Bedford, Virginia. The great things about them: the Blueridge, peaceful, reasonable prices, pretty mild winters, amazing hikes and interesting historical sites nearby, and good food options (lots of smaller farms nearby).

I also enjoyed time in Cass, West Virginia but it is definitely colder.

Comment

We spent a March two years ago in Asheville, NC. The weather was warm and Asheville is great — hits all of your criteria, plus great restaurants and beer gardens and hiking and music. Bonus points for extreme dog friendliness if that matters to you.

Comment

Thanks for the great location suggestions. The specific ones mentioned are exactly what I am looking to find.

Comment

Working...
            X